Well, I thought I had finally made up my mind on the amp I was going to get. I was going to get the Peavey Valveking 212, but when I saw the price I realized that the 6505 was actually cheaper.

I have played the Valveking, and I liked it. But the 6505 I never played the combo version. I got to play the head, but only for about 2 minutes. Would anyone be able to tell me which of the two amps to get? Before I get one, I am of course going to go try both of them again first, but any opinions/input would definitely help.

My band is a Hard Rock band. The "heaviness" of our sound I guess you could say is similar to Creed, Alter Bridge, Disturbed, Shinedown, Six:AM, Seether, and other bands like that.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-582106-i1445921.gc
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Last edited by Knightmare444 at Aug 29, 2009,
Depends on what you want. The 6505 has great dirty channels, but awful cleans.

The Valveking has decent dirty and clean, but neither of them are as good as the dirty on the 6505.

Just depends on what you want, man.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
6505 hands down. It's just a superior amp. Try them out for yourself like you said, but the 6505 is amazing (the other guitarist in my band has a 6505+). I have a 5150 which is also amazing. Definitely would go with the 6505 bro.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by strat0blaster

The Valveking has decent dirty and clean, but neither of them are as good as the dirty on the 6505.

this. I own a VK and I've played a 6505 quite a bit.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
6505>>>>>valveking in turms of distortion, althouth the vk has better cleans.
Get the 6505, as i had the same choice (5150 or vk) and I chose the vk and i regret it(still a good amp though)
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Marshall!
PRS Johnny Hiland Signature
Planet Waves Tuner
Dyna Comp
EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss BD-2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ernie Ball Wah
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-20
Tech 21 Boost R.V.B.
Morley Little Alligator VP
Fulltone FB-3
Marshall JCM 2000 401 DSL
Quote by strat0blaster

The cleans aren't aweful at all.
They're not amazing, but they're not aweful.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
The cleans aren't aweful at all.
They're not amazing, but they're not aweful.

To me, those cleans are awful, but there's no accounting for taste - some people love it.

Some people also love getting stepped on by massive women.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

Some people also love getting stepped on by massive women.

that may be true

I agree that they are all down to preference, but I don't mind the cleans on mine at all
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Well, I need the clean channel. My band does a fair amount of stuff using the cleans, BUT, I do need that big distortion channel. Would you say the 6505's distortion channel is more than I need?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Well, I need the clean channel. My band does a fair amount of stuff using the cleans, BUT, I do need that big distortion channel. Would you say the 6505's distortion channel is more than I need?

I honestly think the VK has more on tap than you need. I never turn mine past 12 o clock. I will play death metal with it right at 12. If you threw an EQ in the FX loop, you'd be set with the VK.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
With the VK, I would have "better" cleans as some of you say, I'll find that out later, and I have a bunch of gain, that can easily be helped with an OD and eq pedal.

With the 6505 I have decent cleans, and more that enough distortion. BUT, the 6505 is cheaper. So I really don't know what to do.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
6505 combo + chorus pedal?

The VK has enough gain, it just lacks a lot of the oomph the 6505 has. The 6505 cleans aren't the greatest, but they ARE usable.

Can you go used? I'm guessing the budget is around $700?

*edit*
Anyone else notice the 6505 in the picture on the GC site is a 6505? And that they put it as the 'combo version of the 6505+ amplifier'?
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 28, 2009,
If you're willing to go used see if you can find a 5150 combo. I see them around for about $500. Just throwing that out there
I have a huge fear if rays.
New tubes in the VK and it will be a rock machine. 6505 has notoriously bad cleans.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Alright, well lets pretend you were Mark Tremonti, and you needed to get that creed sound. Would you use a 6505 or a Valveking?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Peavey 6505!!!! Awesome amp
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Also have a look at the windsor, as it sounds MUCH better than the Valveking and is extremely cheap ($199!!).
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by Knightmare444
Alright, well lets pretend you were Mark Tremonti, and you needed to get that creed sound. Would you use a 6505 or a Valveking?

Doesn't he use a Triple Rectifier?

I'd prefer to not play like Mark Tremonti but if I wanted his sound for around $600-700, I'd pick up a used Single Rectifier.
i'd say 6505+.note that the 6505+ doesn't come out until october though.

if you're gonna get the VK then get an OD pedal to help give you a heavier rock sound.
Would the windsor be able to do Hard Rock and the occassional metal sound?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by BobDetroit
Doesn't he use a Triple Rectifier?

I'd prefer to not play like Mark Tremonti but if I wanted his sound for around $600-700, I'd pick up a used Single Rectifier.

Well Yeah, but I don't have the money for a Triple Rect. I just used that example because I like Mark Tremonti and my band has a similarish sound.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Would the windsor be able to do Hard Rock and the occassional metal sound?

Hard Rock, no problem. It would need a good od for Metal. And a good cab. It's an extremely bright amp with not a lot of low end and Peavey cabs just accentuate that. A friend owns one and through a 4X12 with Greenbacks I can't stand it with the treble and presence up at all.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It seems like everytime I think I found the amp I wanna get I run into another that may be better. I found a Marshall DSL401 on Ebay for like $400. And there were a few others I found real cheap like a B-52. Now I feel like I am back to square one.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Play a Peavey 3120 and you'll be sold.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Not for that kind of cash I'm not.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Seems like the logical answer here is this -

Save up more money and get something you'll be satisfied with instead of settling now for something you're going to want to replace in a year.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Out of those two choices, go for the 6505+ combo. Of course youll have to wait til october. If you wanted to go use, i would go the 6505+ head and a sepearte cab route.

Of course thats out of those two choices. My real reccomendation would be to go for a used JSX, combo or head. That amp will deliver all the tones you need and do them all really well.

Like everyone else said, keep saving. Its much more worth it to get the amp you REALLY want in the long run and not be wanting more after a month of owning something you dont. I made that mistake, itll never happen again. Buy gear you can use for a lifetime, not a couple of months.
I think, they should stop making so many different amps. They should just sell one big uber half stack that can read your mind and sounds exactly the way you want it to sound, and they should sell it for about $25. Evereybody wins, and then I still have money for a caRr.

The reason I don't want to spend to much is because I need to pay for school, and a car, but at the same time I need a new amp, because as most of you should know, you cannot gig with a Spider III.

Just for ****s and giggles, would any of these do the job?:

Peavey Valveking
Peavey 6505(+)
Peavey Vypyr Tube
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Windsor
Marshall DSL401
B-52 AT-112
And maybe anything else you can suggest.

For the sake for price, Combo's are preferred. I will go used. I don't wanna go over about $600/700

Good distortion is needed, but I have an OD pedal, so I can add some depth to that if needed. Good cleans are preferred.

Again, I play mostly hard rock. Think Creed, Alter Bridge, Dream Theater, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
I've heard good things about the B52, but definitely go used. You'll have more options. And be patient, keep looking. I found a XXX 2x12 for $500.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Peavey Valveking
Peavey 6505(+)
Peavey Vypyr Tube

i'd choose one of those 3. with the valveking you'd want to use the OD to tighten things up and make it a lil more aggressive. 6505+ is a great choice and would really have the bottom end for stone sour. vypyr tube is another good option, the cleans will be the best and you have literally almost all you ever need when it comes to amp models and effects (huge variety). the sound from the vypyr tubes are supposedly very good, although it wont be as 'authentic' as a traditional tube amp.

unless you're a tone nut the fact that the vypyr is a modeler wont make a big difference. remember that if you play in a band in front of people nearly everyone who hears you wont be able to tell the difference between the real amp and the modeled vypyr version.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Peavey Valveking
Peavey 6505(+)
Peavey Vypyr Tube

i'd choose one of those 3. with the valveking you'd want to use the OD to tighten things up and make it a lil more aggressive. 6505+ is a great choice and would really have the bottom end for stone sour. vypyr tube is another good option, the cleans will be the best and you have literally almost all you ever need when it comes to amp models and effects (huge variety). the sound from the vypyr tubes are supposedly very good, although it wont be as 'authentic' as a traditional tube amp.

unless you're a tone nut the fact that the vypyr is a modeler wont make a big difference. remember that if you play in a band in front of people nearly everyone who hears you wont be able to tell the difference between the real amp and the modeled vypyr version.

You know, as guitarists here, this is 100% wrong, but he's 100% right. People in the audience aren't examining your tone unless they're musicians, and most of the probably aren't. They're hearing the music and the vibe and enjoying the show. They don't really care what you're playing through or whether it's got tubes or not.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Knightmare444
I think, they should stop making so many different amps.

Peavey Valveking
Peavey 6505(+)
Peavey Vypyr Tube
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Windsor
Marshall DSL401
B-52 AT-112

For the sake for price, Combo's are preferred. I will go used. I don't wanna go over about $600/700

It's called GAS.....It never goes away. Choosing the right amp is not an easy task. You are going about this the right way. You've listed Budget, Genres, Gigging capability, Combo prefered, etc.

All the amps you listed and most that have been suggested will work. You really need to get out and play some of these. With your budget, you can get more amp for your money going used and that is a fact. Now, you don't want to buy a lemon either and end up spending $200+ just to get right. Right?

What's your closest city?

PS: By the time the 6505+ 112 combo hits the street and all the back orders have been filled and real reviews start to come in it will be well past October me thinks.
I don't get why people say 6505+ cleans are nonexistenet. I played one and tweaked around with all the EQ and settings and you can get pretty sparkly cleans out of it. You just need to play around with everything alot to get there.
I like the 6505 and the Valveking for different reasons.

Maybe add these to your list

Sorry, I know you are trying to narrow things down. I'd prolly be after that Triple X.

Line 6 Vetta 2 $1000 for everything (ask about the combo only)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1350570558.html

Carvin SX-100 amp + cab $350
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1350516222.html

Vox AD50VT $200
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1348426219.html

Crate Palomino V50 212 $450 (ok maybe not all your genres)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1344657325.html

Peavey 5150 head $750 (talk down, needs cab)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1338805001.html

Peavey XXL ss combo $390
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1325956110.html

Ampeg Jet 15w class A combo $300 (ask others)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1324321570.html

Peavey Classic 30 $360 (not sure on all genres)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1323269615.html

Marshall DSL-401 combo $650
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1316446898.html

Mesa Boogie F-50 head $750 (needs cab)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1314678241.html

Line 6 Flextone II $200
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1305974233.html

Marshall DSL-401 combo $500
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1305057021.html

Peavey XXX head and cab $750 (do this)
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/1303197334.html
Quote by Knightmare444
I think, they should stop making so many different amps. They should just sell one big uber half stack that can read your mind and sounds exactly the way you want it to sound, and they should sell it for about $25. Evereybody wins, and then I still have money for a caRr.

The reason I don't want to spend to much is because I need to pay for school, and a car, but at the same time I need a new amp, because as most of you should know, you cannot gig with a Spider III.

Peavey Valveking
Peavey 6505(+)
Peavey Vypyr Tube
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Windsor
Marshall DSL401
B-52 AT-112

Good distortion is needed, but I have an OD pedal, so I can add some depth to that if needed. Good cleans are preferred.

Again, I play mostly hard rock. Think Creed, Alter Bridge, Dream Theater, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin.

From that list, eliminate-
Peavey Windsor- Terrible cleans, even rolling off the volume.
Vyper Tube- Imo sounds terrible. Not a bad practice amp, but you can do better for the price.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.