Page 1 of 2
Did you ever get that sneaking suspicion that some metalheads are "faking it"?

Sure, they have bought all the right things. They have the posters on the walls, the tshirts, the CDs and rare vinyl and maybe even some classic demos.

But they're faking it and you can tell because they don't understand metal as being different from rock music, indie, emo, punk -- you name it!

They've picked metal as an identity, because they need some cause in order to claim their lives have meaning, but they don't seem to understand it at all.

It's like they're spectators at an art gallery who say "I like the red one; red's my favorite color!" or tourists visiting a battlefield when they can't remember who the two sides were. It's like they're not actually engaged with life itself much at all, but want to dress up like metalheads so we think they are.

Faking It

Since 1994, this seems to describe most of the metal 'scene,' bands included. How many failed indie clones are churning out "stoner metal" and "drone doom" albums this week?
Last edited by Sein und Zeit at Aug 28, 2009,
They've picked metal as an identity, because they need some cause in order to claim their lives have meaning, but they don't seem to understand it at all.

The major fault of ANUS.

Metal is music, not a lifestyle.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Honestly I use to be a huge metal head. Id listen to everything from Cannibal Corpse to Agathadaimon. But recently it metal just seem'd like it was slipping away. There arent many good bands out there now, and anymore the metal bands i like just keep putting out ****ty releases. So now I'm kind of drifting away from metal and exploring different types of music. But since the emo kid came about Metal is dead.
Peace be thy journey
lately this has been the case a lot in my area, they ruin shows by throwing wannabe moshpits at the wrong moments (like in the middle of a technical death metal piece its NOT the time to do ur metalcore wannabe moshpits annoying everyone around you) usually these are people wearing ny caps jogging pants and a bandshirt (they look more like they should be at a hiphop show)

anyway these people annoy most gigs, filling up the front rows headbanging out of the beat and start to mosh/stagedive five seconds before the song is over (hell they don't even know what their are listening to)

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
spoiler : you dont have to have long hair and wear band shirts and metal clothes to like metal music.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I can't believe how worked up people get about a genre of music.........

And that whole blog just reeks of elitism.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
May I direct your attention to someone with more than half a brain?:

Quote by dead-fish
The major fault of ANUS.

Quote by dead-fish
The major fault of ANUS.

Quote by dead-fish
The major fault of ANUS.

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by dead-fish
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by dead-fish
The major fault of ANUS.

So you wouldn't describe choosing to wear leather/studs/band t shirts, grow your hair long and attend lots of concerts as a lifestyle choice?
Up The Boro!
Quote by dead-fish
The major fault of ANUS.

Metal is both music and a subculture/counterculture that derives its values from the music. What it isn't is a lifestyle accessory, which is what the poseurs treat it as.

Hence Faking It.
Quote by Sein und Zeit
Metal is both music and a subculture/counterculture that derives its values from the music. What it isn't is a lifestyle accessory, which is what the poseurs treat it as.

Hence Faking It.

No. Metal is just music.

I can find comfort and peace of mind in learning about 12th century poets, but that doesn't make it a "subculture/counterculture that derives its values from history."
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Sein und Zeit

Hence Faking It.

So if I like metal, but don't conform to the fashion and lifestyle stereotypes of your "subculture/counterculture", what does that make me? An anti-poseur?

It also says in that article: "they don't understand metal as being different from rock music, indie, emo, punk", but that's just the thing. It's not. The stereotypes attached to each of these genres may be different, but they're all music. To re-re-re-iterate:

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Sein und Zeit
12th century poetry also doesn't have a recognizable modern community revolving around it.

I'm sure there's more than one group who loves 12 century poetry enough to form a following to it.

But, yes, the following has probably dwindled with time. Probably a few centuries ago.

And metal will do the same. It will grow, shape, and evolve to the point where what we know as metal today will be long gone. It is yet another one of our worldly adorations that, no matter how much time we put into "preserving" it, it will eventually change to the point of it being unrecognizable to what we know it to be today. Because, in the end:
Quote by dead-fish

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Aug 28, 2009,
Who really gives a crap?
They enjoy the music and may dress a bit differently than all your leather and stud bullshit
I drink your milkshake.
Well if metal is music (what I believe/everyone should believe) and not a way of life, then why do people care how other metal listeners dress?
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Last edited by linfield4466 at Aug 28, 2009,
Because their too egotistical too accept the fact that theirs different looking people in the world.
I drink your milkshake.

I was actually gonna say that but don't worry Lin, you deserve your status of being grim and KVLT.
I drink your milkshake.
Holy ****, i think i have a friend who knows the guy pictured in the article...

edit: also,

'"John's okay, he's ueber-kult, especially if you ignore that collection of emo and indie punk moldering in his closet!" And across the room, John's saying the same thing about Shawn.''

complaining about liking other genres is pathetic, people like that need to grow up.
Last edited by logboy at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by SeveredSurvival
Who really gives a crap?
They enjoy the music and may dress a bit differently than all your leather and stud bullshit

Because people who don't grasp the concept behind the music are a blight on any genre?

I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'.
Oh Noes lets call the metal police, as he doesnt look like a generic metalhead. and likes to keep his appearance tidy.

I know the guy in that picture. and I know for a fact he loves his metal a hell of a lot more than some of the people on this forum.
I wish people would just shut up about appearance. as long as they like the music, I really dont see what the problem is at all.

I think some people really need to grow up.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Oh Noes lets call the metal police, as he doesnt look like a generic metalhead. and likes to keep his appearance tidy.

I know the guy in that picture. and I know for a fact he loves his metal a hell of a lot more than some of the people on this forum.
I wish people would just shut up about appearance. as long as they like the music, I really dont see what the problem is at all.

I think some people really need to grow up.

Like illiterates every where, you've managed to extract from the article a point it never actually made. Congratulations: you're rock stupid.

So if I don't dress metal but like metal, this poseur thing doesn't apply to me?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Sein und Zeit
Like illiterates every where, you've managed to extract from the article a point it never actually made. Congratulations: you're rock stupid.

enlighten me.

as far as im aware, the article is about people 'posing'.

as far as I can tell Gary has been used as an example of a poser.

I was merely explaining why he isnt.

Now unless there is some hidden or perhaps deeper meaning to this 'article' I fail to see what ive misunderstood.
You've taken an article about the way people fetishize something they don't even understand for social points, and made it about what people look like. Congratulations: you're a moron.
Quote by Sein und Zeit

I'm PRETTY sure he's no illiterate, because he's, you know, reading and writing (in this case, typing).

Just saying. You're making yourself out to be all high and mighty, and you don't even know how to use the word "illiterate" properly.

The irony, 'tis so sweet.

Also, I love how you never made a valid rebuttle as to how metal isn't JUST music, and is, in some strange way, a subculture.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
I'm PRETTY sure he's no illiterate, because he's, you know, reading and writing (in this case, typing).

Just saying. You're making yourself out to be all high and mighty, and you don't even know how to use the word "illiterate" properly.

The irony, 'tis so sweet.

I note that you're unfamiliar with the concept of a "simile." Isn't public school grand?

Also, I love how you never made a valid rebuttle as to how metal isn't JUST music, and is, in some strange way, a subculture.

Why would I rebut a point I'd already made myself? Did you even bother to read the thread?
Quote by Sein und Zeit
You've taken an article about the way people fetishize something they don't even understand for social points, and made it about what people look like. Congratulations: you're a moron.

my counter point would be you took what it said seriously: your a moron.

the point is the same really. Gary understands metal. he listeners to metal. He go's to gigs/ festivals. he knowledgeable of its history, he knows what he likes to listen to. ect.
I dont see how he is in any way shape or form fetishizeing something he doesn't even understand

I fail to see how his picture in any way adds anything to the argument.
So if i go listen to glam rock and don't dress like a glam rock fan, i'm not living their subculture, does this i don't deserve to listen to it for being a casual listener?
Or is it okay because it only applies to metal?

edit: reading through the thread, the threadstarter seems to be the typical ANUS-slave, might as well argue at a brick wall. Christ ANUS is more of a blight on metal than anything they complain about.
Last edited by logboy at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by Sein und Zeit
I note that you're unfamiliar with the concept of a "simile." Isn't public school grand?

Why would I rebut a point I'd already made myself? Did you even bother to read the thread?

I note that you're unfamiliar with the concept of "humor". Isn't pseudointellectualism grand?

Also, you obviously don't know what a "simile" is, because you didn't compare anything using "like" or "as", a rule within that particular language art.

And I responded to your rebut, and you never responded to that. Just saying.

If ANYONE thinks that a genre of music is more than just music, and somehow a way of life, then they need to seriously evaluate their outlook on this pitiful existence.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by Sein und Zeit

Illiteracy =/= To not understanding a concept

God, are you illiterate?

I'd just like to mention how you act superior...but why? I'm pretty sure you're on the bigget idiot list to enter this forum. So, what makes you so superior that you can talk down on people for no reason other than not understanding a concept?
Last edited by severed-metal at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
my counter point would be you took what it said seriously: your a moron.

the point is the same really. Gary understands metal. he listeners to metal. He go's to gigs/ festivals. he knowledgeable of its history, he knows what he likes to listen to. ect.
I dont see how he is in any way shape or form fetishizeing something he doesn't even understand

I fail to see how his picture in any way adds anything to the argument.

Clearly, you fail to understand a lot of things. English, for instance.
Page 1 of 2