Hello everyone,
I'm planning to by my first guitar to start learning, but I have no clue to what guitar to buy
Near my home I have a instuments store and I've checked there for guitar packs
These ones are the ones that I can afford :P
Epiphone SG Special
Epiphone G-310
Yamaha Pacifica 112 VCX
Epiphone LP Special 2

I'm more of a metal guy, but I have close to zero knowledge about guitars
Wich one should I get to start learning??

Thanks for your help
1st guitars arnt really too important, its more about trying to see if u like playing and getting the feel for the basics however i would say the les paul
I've heard nothing of the VCX one but the Yamaha Pacifica 112 J/V were known as some of the top starter guitars. I probably would have gotten it if they carried it at my local guitar shop but I settled for an ibanez instead.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
A few weeks ago I played all the Epis on your list. I was most impressed with the 310. However, for a bit less money I also looked at the Cort X-2 which was a good bit nicer. Well balanced and nice slim neck. Match that with a Roland Cube 15x or Microcube and you have a great pairing to learn on.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Chaos Nil
I've heard nothing of the VCX one but the Yamaha Pacifica 112 J/V were known as some of the top starter guitars. I probably would have gotten it if they carried it at my local guitar shop but I settled for an ibanez instead.

The VCX is the same as the 112V, but it's a special edition: only in full black (body, headstock, pickguard; and Vintage white with red tortoise pickguard). It's a pretty good guitar, I love mine :P Being an HSS with coil-tap makes it very versatile too
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
For your price, I would downright suggest a new agile, or a used guitar at a pawn shop, it it's possible.

www.rondomusic.com sells agiles, and they're amazing for the price you pay, and pawn shops are rather leniant on their prices (my friend got a mexi fender for 275 there) so look around, and dont just look into one or two brands.
My vote goes to buying the cheapest thing you can find that still works so you can decided if you like playing.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
My vote goes to buying the cheapest thing you can find that still works so you can decided if you like playing.

And that's the dumbest piece of advice that you can ever give.

If you want to learn guitar, never ever start with the cheapest thing you can get your hands on.

Why? Because you can play brilliantly, and a cheap guitar will still make you feel like you're crap. All a cheap guitar will do for beginners, is make them frustrated and just quit altogether.

Check craigslist, you can often find better deals than what you can get from a starter pack.
Quote by The_Roth_KungFu
All a cheap guitar will do for beginners, is make them frustrated and just quit altogether.

Define "cheap".
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by Boiller
The VCX is the same as the 112V, but it's a special edition: only in full black (body, headstock, pickguard; and Vintage white with red tortoise pickguard). It's a pretty good guitar, I love mine :P Being an HSS with coil-tap makes it very versatile too

Thank you so much for that info. I was wondering what was different in the end. The 112v is superior to the 112j and the 012 (whatever?). Coil tap was a cool feature on it.

Quote by CarpUK
Define "cheap".

Maybe we should be using the word "inexpensive"...
Try the Squier Classic Vibe. One of the fer good Squiers, actually sounds pretty decent, especially for a begginer.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Maybe we should be using the word "inexpensive"...

What I meant by that was "How cheap is cheap, and to whom is it cheap?".

(Using Fender and Squier Strats as an example) To put that into context, perception of cheapness or otherwise is determined more by the amount of money available to the buyer than the price of the instrument itself.

For example, to someone with a couple of hundred Pounds to spend, the Squier Bullet (£90) might look like the cheap option, the Squier Affinity the mid-priced option (£130), and the various Squier Vintage Modifieds (£250) would look expensive. Then again, to someone with a few thousand to spend and a regular income that would make such an amount look like "not a lot of money" might consider everything from the Mexicans down (£500-ish or less) to be cheap, the non-custom shop Americans (£800-£900ish) to be mid-priced, and the custom shop items (think of a number...) to be expensive.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
no lie....no bull****.... my SG Special has lasted me about 8 years....
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by CarpUK
What I meant by that was "How cheap is cheap, and to whom is it cheap?".

ooook. I get what you mean now. Well from the guitars being listed it looks like the $180-$350 (in usd, I dont know £ well enough). The Yamaha being roughly £220...
Hi guys, thanks for your help
I already decided and will go with the G-310, gona buy it tomorow if I can leave my job in time to get the store open heheh
You should go with something with at least 22 frets, 24 would be good.
A Ibanez or LTD will suffice
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage V100
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
i like the look of that g310!
Loving the Love/Hate 80s Metal at its best!
Quote by Quaned
You should go with something with at least 22 frets, 24 would be good.
A Ibanez or LTD will suffice

somebody buying thier FIRST guitar, and starting to LEARN how to play, does not need to worry about how many frets it has.

Edit...
And if you would just look the Epiphone G-310 (the guitar the TS decided on) has 22 frets anyway..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 31, 2009,