ok so i remember i while ago reading something about these amps and how good they were. i just looked online and they are really cheap too. so i was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them? specifically the legacy or the X100b? oh yeah and is there any difference between a new or an old x100b?
I have a little experience with the X100B

the cleans are nothing short of incredible

the distortion is quite JCM 900 like, being slighly harsh

yes, there are difs between the older and new models

one uses 6l6's and the other EL34's

you can even get a carpeted version.

p.s. definitely cant do metal without a boost.
If you're looking to do Tom Petty kind of stuff, look into the Nomad and the Belair. Those have a great clean channel, and do classic rock well enough for Joe Walsh to use them on stage. The x100b also has a great clean channel, but the distortion isn't amazing. You can always use pedals though. The Carvin Legacy is basically a clone of the revered Bogner Ecstasy, those are probably the best amps Carvin makes, and you can find the Legacy I's fairly cheap.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
there is a legacy on ebay right now with a 4x12 for $700... im thinking that is a really good deal for an amp like that.

what im looking for is an amp that can do low gain like tom petty and harder and heavier stuff too but im not looking to spend a **** ton on an amp. ive been looking for a bout two years and i just remembered about carvin this morning. it also needs to be durable as **** cause no matter how hard i try i always seem to beat the **** out of everything

i guess what i want is an amp that can do everything and doesnt cost alot but i know thats hard to find. i im thinking the legacy might be it though.... any opinions?

oh yeah whats the difference between the legacy I and II?
The Legacy sounds like an excellent option. The 4x12 is very high quality as well. At that price, I would snatch it up. Keep in mind though, that both pieces of equipment will be quite heavy, that's the only downside to a stack. Anyways, there are a few differences between Legacy I's and II's. The main ones however, are that the II's sound slightly better, and they have a 3rd channel. The I's are still excellent, excellent amps, especially for the price.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
X100Bs - at least the old ones - are amazing. As said above, the cleans are fantastic; what's more, depending upon what pre and power tubes you put in 'em, the distortion ranges from very good to amazing. Best thing is that the active EQ enables you, with a little bit of practice/skill, to dial in pretty much any tone you want.

Mine is an '87 EL34. Got it two years ago when I decided I could no longer afford the risk of taking my 70s Hiwatt DR103 out to lousy club gigs. The X100B holds its own against the Hiwatt in terms of volume (very loud!) and tone (very good!). Not surprising that they should be somewhat similar, as both are EL34 powered. Play both through 4x12s with Celestions and they are marvelous.

I have a fairly complex pedal setup which includes ProCo Rat (Gen 1) and MXR Distortion + which has stayed pretty much the same since the mid-90s...like the Hiwatt, this amp treats pedals really well.

I would urge getting one of the vintage ones, in good condition, WITH the footswitch. I've heard reasonably good things about the newer ones, but the 80s ones are built like tanks - mine has been tossed around like hell over the last couple of years, but it still even LOOKS new as well as sounding/functioning flawlessly.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
Quote by th3yn3v3rsl33p
X100Bs - at least the old ones - are amazing. As said above, the cleans are fantastic; what's more, depending upon what pre and power tubes you put in 'em, the distortion ranges from very good to amazing. Best thing is that the active EQ enables you, with a little bit of practice/skill, to dial in pretty much any tone you want.

Mine is an '87 EL34. Got it two years ago when I decided I could no longer afford the risk of taking my 70s Hiwatt DR103 out to lousy club gigs. The X100B holds its own against the Hiwatt in terms of volume (very loud!) and tone (very good!). Not surprising that they should be somewhat similar, as both are EL34 powered. Play both through 4x12s with Celestions and they are marvelous.

I have a fairly complex pedal setup which includes ProCo Rat (Gen 1) and MXR Distortion + which has stayed pretty much the same since the mid-90s...like the Hiwatt, this amp treats pedals really well.

I would urge getting one of the vintage ones, in good condition, WITH the footswitch. I've heard reasonably good things about the newer ones, but the 80s ones are built like tanks - mine has been tossed around like hell over the last couple of years, but it still even LOOKS new as well as sounding/functioning flawlessly.

i think i read your review on harmony-central
you said that changing the tubes would help the distortion sound better? hmmm now i just have to decide between the legacy and the X100b haha do you have any experience with the legacy?

oh yeah i was looking at the ones on ebay andsome of them are 6l6. if i got one of them all i would have to do was rebias it for el34's right?
Last edited by colorprinter867 at Aug 28, 2009,
yeah, I did review it over there. I love the damn thing.

To answer your questions, as best I can, I have no direct experience with the legacy, though I've heard good things about it too. I have played through a friends 6L6-equipped x100B, while I thought it sounded very good, I still preferred mine (I just like that EL34 sound - cuts really well amid the din of my band).

I think that Carvin did a few redesigns over the original run of X100Bs; the first round were all 6L6, then 34s, and then the last I think were actually switchable between the two via an internal switch. (Rebiasing is necessary any time you change tubes, even when putting in the same kind). I have seen on the Carvin boards somewhere a discussion of which years' models did which...you might want to look that up - sorry I don't have a link for you. I'm not sure if you can readily swap in 34s into the first-run, dedicated 6L6 ones, but you might be able to - you'd have to ask someone who knows more than me.

Good luck, and if you get one, will be anxious to hear what you think of it.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B