Poll: Which Guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Guitar?
Ibanez JTK30 (my favorite in looks)
6 17%
Washburn WI64
3 9%
PRS SE Soapbar (the old fashioned P90 sound)
12 34%
Agile 3100 (heavy beast)
7 20%
Agile 2900 (light beast)
6 17%
Other (please explain in comment)
1 3%
Voters: 35.
Ok so some of you might recall that a week or so ago I came on this forum asking for help with a guitar. After asking, however, I realized that I would benefit more from sifting through the forum and trying to learn some things on my own. I've spent the last seven or so days trying to pick up as much info as I could and try to find out what exactly I'm looking for. I know I need as versatile a guitar as possible because my music collection is quite... varied. Seeing as my budget has somewhat increased (but I wont have the money until december which leaves time for consideration I suppose) it opens the door for a few options and I think I've narrowed it down to five guitars on the basis that I'm looking for something that is:
-as versatile as possible
-relatively uncommon (I don't want the same epi that everyone has)
-sturdy (needs to survive four years of dorm life)
-has good fret access (however I don't really need more than 22 frets provided I can reach them)
-$400 or under
-whether the neck is bolt on, bolt in, or set is not relavent provided it wont fall out haha

Obviously I know that trying the guitars first will help to decide but I'm trying to get some general opinions so I don't make a big mistake and I want to make sure I haven't missed any good guitars on my search.

Guitars I'm considering:

Ibanez JTK30 http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAJTK30
Pros:
-color/shape (I looove the looks of this one)
-Is able to have a fairly bright tone from what I've heard
-handles mild distortion well
-reviews I've seen have been positive

Cons:
-seems to get muddy under heavier distortion (could have been the amp)
-seems to have relatively poor fret access
-heavy (but I hear its not as heavy as the agiles haha)

Washburn WI64 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-WI64-Electric-Guitar?sku=514236
Pros:
-seems to be fairly versatile (but I havent seen many reviews)
-buzz feiten tuning system
-reviews I've seen have been good
-good fret access
-relatively lightweight

Cons:
-I haven't found much on it
-the paint job in the stock photos looks cheap and gives me doubts
-I've heard the VCC is a cheap gimmick

PRS SE Soapbar http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Soapbar-Electric-Guitar?sku=515829&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=163529530

Pros:
-I like the paintjob on the tobacco sunburst
-the sound of those P90's is reeeally nice
-great fret access
-relatively lightweight

Cons:
-I've heard mixed things about the SE guitars
-they don't seem to be able to be as bright sounding as the JTK (they do handle distortion better)
-Its discontinued which means I may not have the money in time to buy it before it sells out

Agile 3100 http://www.rondomusic.com/product2121.html
Pros:
-great value
-beautiful sounding/looking guitars
-good fret access

Cons:
-HEAVY (I'm quite a small chick)
-I haven't heard a very wide range of sounds from them (but I have been assured they are versatile)
-People who buy agiles tend to be a bit cult like when it comes to them (j/k guys)

Agile 2900 http://www.rondomusic.com/AL29002TS.html
Pros:
-Same as 3100 but two pounds lighter!!!

Cons:
-may be out of stock before I get the money for one =(

Thank you in advance for those who actually took the time to read this. Before anyone asks I am buying a Roland Cube 15x guitar amp. I appreciate any and all assistance. I know they're all completely different guitars but I'm trying to keep my options open enough to get some varied opinions on this. You're all wonderful thank you so much for all of the help.

-J.T.-
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
thank you so much for taking the time to sift through that. I realize it was alot of info but... well I'm really paranoid because this is an investment and it has to last me through this year and college and I really doubt I'll be able to spare the funds to get a new one so I'm determined to get the best I can for my money. I was really afraid nobody would bother with it. =)
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Have you played any of these? And if you havent can you go to a shop and play them?
IMO, the Agiles are the best on that list. They're versatile and sound good. Rondo doesn't always ship with much care though...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
well thats rather complicated. Obviously I can't play the Agile's and I live in a very tiny town. Our only guitar shops sell a handful of off brand guitars (Jay Turser and the like) a few Squiers (maybe) and thats about it. Also for some reason it seems that 90% of the stores near here are exclusively acoustic guitar sellers (no joke, I have no idea why) and the closest big guitar retailer is two hours away and I dont drive. I can drive but I dont. So I'm making some deals with people and I'm going to try to go play whatever ones I can find but... no as of now I havent. I plan to if I can but the circumstances are frustrating. I would if I could, obviously, but unless I want a first act, a low end squier, a new acoustic, or a hundred dollar jay turser its not incredibly likely.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
The Washburn and the PRS are your best bet.
About the Washburn's VCC, it is a bit of a gimmick, but I enjoyed it before I replaced it with series/parallel pots. :/
That sucks. Im lucky enough to live near a Musicians friend warehouse so i can play anything they stock!! But since you cant play them..

I cant advise Agile. I have never played one, nor used rondo music.
Id order a PRS se first from Musicians Friend. Or the Ibanez. And then if you dont like it, send it back and get the other one.

I dont know much on the Washburn either. PRS and Ibanez would be the ones to look at IMO.
luckily returning things here is fairly easy to do even through online stores. im sure if you dont like your final decision after playing it you can send it back.
thanks for taking the time to check this out. It really does suck living here because we're right in the middle of a bunch of interesting places but far enough away that we never really get there. everyone outside two hours of us gets all the big concerts, musicals, plays, etc. and we get a civil war cemetary. I'm not dissing history but I mean, they wouldn't let us have a dairy queen in town because it would "ruin our small town charm". Thats just pathetic.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
I'd go with the Agile 2900. If you're worried about it being out of stock, or getting a bad guitar shipped to you. Then you definitely send them an email, the owner usually replies then all himself, and he's really helpful. You can see if he can't put one on hold or something.

If you get a guitar that you don't like, or one that has some problems, he's usually pretty good about replacing it.
yeah actually I e-mailed him the other day and he told me about the 2900's being back in stock and was really awesome about the whole thing.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Add another vote for the 2900. My second choice would be the Soapbar, but P90s would not hold up as well with heavier stuff as humbuckers, yet humbuckers can be coil-split if you want to get closer to single coil sounds (a fairly easy and cheap mod).
Quote by which ones pink
Add another vote for the 2900. My second choice would be the Soapbar, but P90s would not hold up as well with heavier stuff as humbuckers, yet humbuckers can be coil-split if you want to get closer to single coil sounds (a fairly easy and cheap mod).

ha! I'm proud of myself I remembered where the quote button is! whoo!

Yeah I actually have really started to lean toward the agile's I think... they just seem like such nice guitars for the price... the others I've either heard way too little about or am concerned about the quality of (Ibanez = bolt in which I get nervous about). So far I've already encountered great service from Agile. But I don't know yet. The more I think about it the more I get hung up on all the options out there.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
First, decide whether you want P-90s or Humbuckers. Just reconsider what you're looking for in a guitar. All of those listed will have poor fret access compared to a lot of other guitars so you shouldn't really fault the Jetking for that. A lot of them will also get muddy with heavy distortion. That's what a lot of 24.75" scale mahogany guitars do under heavy distortion. The Jetking with some good pickups (if they're swappable) will be the least susceptible to that. You also listed the Jetkings brightness as a pro. It's the only guitar that'll sound bright because of its bolt-on neck and 25.5" scale. I think you need to reconsider what you want because a lot of those choices come down to personal preference.
At this price range there's can hardly be any guitar that can beat the Agiles.
I would recommend a slim neck version since you mentioned you're a small person. It might be more comfortable for you.
Don't worry about the stock. They got new shipments rolling in like once or twice a month so you can try to wait it out... If you got enough time and patient :p
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

the SE Soapbar II is an amazing little guitar. shorter scale (25" i believe), good upper fret access, small, sound insanely nice clean, can handle some distortion, and i've only played good SE models (even though they're made in korea). i had a white SE Soapbar II and it looked and felt amazing. ended up selling it just because i use distortion too much for an all p90 guitar, but i kind of regret letting it go great guitar!

EDIT: very light and smaller neck too!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
First, decide whether you want P-90s or Humbuckers. Just reconsider what you're looking for in a guitar. All of those listed will have poor fret access compared to a lot of other guitars so you shouldn't really fault the Jetking for that. A lot of them will also get muddy with heavy distortion. That's what a lot of 24.75" scale mahogany guitars do under heavy distortion. The Jetking with some good pickups (if they're swappable) will be the least susceptible to that. You also listed the Jetkings brightness as a pro. It's the only guitar that'll sound bright because of its bolt-on neck and 25.5" scale. I think you need to reconsider what you want because a lot of those choices come down to personal preference.

I'm aware of the personal preference and I'm aware of the muddy-ness but I think you misunderstood what I meant by heavy distortion. I dont listen to a lot of really heavy music. From what I heard, and I listened to alot of different sound samples from all of those guitars, the Jet King got muddy the fastest. As far as poor fret access goes, I wasnt saying the others had great fret access just that the Jet King's was the worst from what I saw, maybe I saw wrong. I'm aware of the availability of swapping pickups but please be aware of the fact that after buying the guitar it will most likely be a solid year before I have the money to do anything of the sort. I like the sound of P90's but I also like the sound of humbuckers, its going to come down to versatility. I thought I had it narrowed to p90's until I realized how few options that left me with. I've listened to the humbuckers and I can appreciate the difference in sound, I know they're quite different, but I'm really uncertain of which I prefer. Honestly I could go either way and as you said, they can be swapped later (p90 sized humbuckers which I know sound slightly different but are close enough for my tastes) if I am unhappy. I know its personal, but I really need the help on this.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by hminh87
At this price range there's can hardly be any guitar that can beat the Agiles.
I would recommend a slim neck version since you mentioned you're a small person. It might be more comfortable for you.
Don't worry about the stock. They got new shipments rolling in like once or twice a month so you can try to wait it out... If you got enough time and patient :p

I considered the slim neck version but I seem to prefer the chunkier necks. I find the neck on my acoustic even to be a bit small for some chords (though I've been told it has an odd neck) and I have long fingers in proportion to my size so... yeah I'm not overly worried about that =)

the thing I'm really hung up on right now is I'm torn between the humbuckers and p90's. I've heard them both and really love the sound of both and it just drives me a little crazy. I've spent two days listening to sound clips and I still can't make up my mind.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
imo i think humbuckers are alot more versatile then p90's especially with coil tapping thats been said in here before i think.
For versatality, a HSS pickup configuration can be pretty sweet.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
For versatality, a HSS pickup configuration can be pretty sweet.

HSS is nice, yes, but finding it on a guitar in my price range without a floyd rose or anything of that sort can be rather difficult if, like me, you have issue with Squiers.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
out of the ones listed the agile 3100 has the best specifications imo, however i`ve just trawled through musiciansfriends website(i`m in the uk so i have to adjust myself to the usa markets) and set the price range and i think you`ve missed some really good guitars, just because the manufacturer is epiphone(gibson), squier(fender) or sterling(ernie ball music man) don`t think that these guitars are inferior other than inferior to the parent company in some cases....and there`s even a nice schecter that isn`t a genre specific guitar, and a couple of danelectro`s that are going to knock the ibanez jetking right out of the game.

my opinion at the moment is your set on a LP shaped guitar and rosewood fingerboards, and heavy wooded guitars but given your budget have another look there are some real good guitars that`ll do the job your asking at similar prices....another way to look at it is if prs launched another company and said that all the guitars under a grand were no longer a genuine prs but were given the new company badge would you still have the same opinion..
Quote by ibanezgod1973
out of the ones listed the agile 3100 has the best specifications imo, however i`ve just trawled through musiciansfriends website(i`m in the uk so i have to adjust myself to the usa markets) and set the price range and i think you`ve missed some really good guitars, just because the manufacturer is epiphone(gibson), squier(fender) or sterling(ernie ball music man) don`t think that these guitars are inferior other than inferior to the parent company in some cases....and there`s even a nice schecter that isn`t a genre specific guitar, and a couple of danelectro`s that are going to knock the ibanez jetking right out of the game.

my opinion at the moment is your set on a LP shaped guitar and rosewood fingerboards, and heavy wooded guitars but given your budget have another look there are some real good guitars that`ll do the job your asking at similar prices....another way to look at it is if prs launched another company and said that all the guitars under a grand were no longer a genuine prs but were given the new company badge would you still have the same opinion..

umm ok I think you may be... mistaken? I am not set on LP shaped guitars at all. I could honestly care less about the shape if it sounds good and is comfortable to play. I have no problem with epiphone, I've just heard Agile's are better quality. I considered an epi studio for a long time before I compared it to the Agile. And I'm definitely not set on a rosewood fingerboard or I wouldn't be looking at Agile, there's are ebony. As far as "heavy wooded" no, I'm also not set on those, it just so happens that all of the guitars I looked at whose sound I liked happened to be mahogany. Coincidence? idk. The only company I have issues with is Squier and that's because I've played them and I didnt like them. I like Fender fine, but just not Squier. And I like Epiphone but from what I saw the Agile's are a better value by far. So I think you're a little off.

and EDIT: I liked the Jet King's sound and looks waaay more than I did the Danelectros. Maybe I'm weird.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Last edited by JTBach at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by Mayonaise 812
imo i think humbuckers are alot more versatile then p90's especially with coil tapping thats been said in here before i think.

is getting it coil tapped an expensive procedure?
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
is getting it coil tapped an expensive procedure?

any store should be able to do it for you. between materials and labor maybe $100? maybe a little less, i'm not sure. BUT a single coil off a humbucker won't sound like a p90 (at all) or even like a single coil by itself. humbuckers are normally made to be played as a whole pickup, but you can still get decent single coil sounds out of it.

if you get a guitar with a humbucker check out the Seymour Duncan P-Rails. with a pickup change later on it would have everything you'd want. it's basically a p90 and a hot rail all made into one pickup, so with coil splitting you could have a whole humbucker, a p90, or a hot rail. all would sound different in their own way
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
thank you everyone and yes the P-Rails option seems like it could be a good option for a possible future upgrade if I go the humbucker route.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone