I really want to be able to control my digitech wh4 from my guitar using midi, but I don't know how I'd be able to do it
I think it'd be pretty good just as a knob like an ordinary volume knob, but can you use one of these to control a whammy in this way, using a potentiometer? (do the pitchshifting as if you had your foot on the pedal).

Please help if you know anything about this kind of thing... I know nothing...

G
GUI
GUITA
GUITARH
GUITARHEAD
GUITARH
GUITA
GUI
G

Satch fans?

Joe Satriani ...(group) ...(join it)
I know that Matt Bellamy has a Midi Strip from something on one of his guitars to control it, I don't know anything else about it though :P

Bomber Manson
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
:P Yeah I know, thats where I got the idea from... But that I think was the midi strip from quite an expensive keyboard...

G
GUI
GUITA
GUITARH
GUITARHEAD
GUITARH
GUITA
GUI
G

Satch fans?

Joe Satriani ...(group) ...(join it)
The best way to do this, wire a potentiometer on your guitar through an extra jack, all the way to your whammy pedal where the inputs from the pedal connect and solder it there. To do something using midi, it would involve a lot of data converting and such.

That or look for an onboard wah like this http://store.guitarfetish.com/onswwamiboco.html
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
The Korg Kaoss pads have an x y midi touch screen. I think that's what Matt uses on his guitars. It takes a little dissasembling/ tech skill to get in in your guitar though.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
so you want to take something that is easily controllable while playing and make it completely uncontrollable while playing? why would anyone want to do that?

Quote by GeToChKn
The best way to do this, wire a potentiometer on your guitar through an extra jack, all the way to your whammy pedal where the inputs from the pedal connect and solder it there. To do something using midi, it would involve a lot of data converting and such.

uhhm... no. wiring a pot on the guitar to control the whammy wont work like that, especially since the treadle on the whammy is a photosensitve one, not a pot like on a wah.

Quote by |Guitarhead|
:P Yeah I know, thats where I got the idea from... But that I think was the midi strip from quite an expensive keyboard...

expensive keyboard? uhhm... no again. you can buy midi ribbon controllers without resorting to destroying other pieces of gear. unfortunately a google search just brings up thread after thread of people asking about matt belamy's midi strip so if you want to find it you gotta go digging online for it.

still it makes no sense to me why anyone would want to do a mod like this where the ease of use of the pedal becomes rather limited. if i can easily control the whammy with my foot while playing why would i want to do a mod where i have to stop playing to use it? makes no sense.
sounds like a good idea but i think just using the pedal will be easier
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
The Korg Kaoss pads have an x y midi touch screen. I think that's what Matt uses on his guitars. It takes a little dissasembling/ tech skill to get in in your guitar though.

there's a guythat sells a purpose made pad system for guitars. I've got one. cost me £90 for it the pad and all.

works with the Whammy a treat. and setting it up to work with cubase took a few days too. i say look inot someone making a midi strip system. be better than pot. at least with the pad/strip, it resets itself when you take your finger off (hold function with the pad is brill with whammy too).
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
I'm not too sure as this works since I don't have the pedal for it, but check out Guitar Rig.

Also, in a lot of DAWs (i think I'm using the right acronym, I'm a little out of it ATM) you can edit modulation so if it's wired into the computer you can go back and edit it. Like a Mod Wheel on a keyboard.

I'm not sure, but you can always check it out.
There be no shelter here.