I do this. i have understood it's not a problem and I don't anchor. I find it difficult to tremolo pick/pick fast on the top two strings since there's no where to rest my wrist. Could I use my thumb and index finger to pick only on those strings, or should I "float" while picking?

Cheers
Quote by hippieboy444
I do this. i have understood it's not a problem and I don't anchor. I find it difficult to tremolo pick/pick fast on the top two strings since there's no where to rest my wrist. Could I use my thumb and index finger to pick only on those strings, or should I "float" while picking?

Cheers

You are anchoring, most likely.

Refer to the sticky...anchoring is a no-no.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
I'm not anchoring. I know I'm not. I'm resting a portion of the bottom of my wrist on the string I don't pick on while playing to mute them.
Quote by hippieboy444
I find it difficult to tremolo pick/pick fast on the top two strings since there's no where to rest my wrist.

This would lead most people to believe that you are incapable of playing on the top two strings because of the fact that you lack an anchoring point.

Stop kidding yourself. If any part of your technique inhibits you from playing the guitar normally or comfortably, then you should probably investigate changing your technique. Forget anchoring or whatever, if you can't tremolo pick/play fast on the top two strings since there is no reference point for your wrist, your technique is still poor.

The matter you brought up, now that I've thought about it, transcends anchoring. It's just bad technique. Refer to the sticky and fix it.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
I'm not anchoring. I know I'm not. I'm resting a portion of the bottom of my wrist on the string I don't pick on while playing to mute them.

You're anchoring if you actually can't pick properly without "resting". Fix it.