The nut broke on my guitar for where the B string goes, leaving it pressing against the first fret. I went to a local music store and they told me $150 to fix it.
Do you guys think it's worth it? Or should I just try fixing it myself. It's an Epiphone Les Paul Special II if that helps.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Don't pay some ripoff artist $150. Replacing a nut is very easy. You can order a replacement nut for under $10. There are dozens of tutorials available online to show you the steps. If you take your time you will have zero problems.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
$150 is stupid expensive for what actually has to be done. You can buy a graphite nut, better than the original, for about $5.00

Go make friends with the guys in the guitar building forum. I'm sure they'll help you. I've replaced/upgraded nuts and it's really easy.

The method is:

Measure very carefully so you get the right replacement nut. Note curved or flat bottom. This is the most important part.

Saw into top of old nut same direction as the frets. Once you have a slot squeeze it with a pair of pliers and it will pop out. DON'T saw into the neck wood. Just into the old nut.

Carefully crazy glue the new one in place. Adjust the slots for height and string gauge.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by mybandsuks_15
The nut broke on my guitar for where the B string goes, leaving it pressing against the first fret. I went to a local music store and they told me $150 to fix it.
Do you guys think it's worth it? Or should I just try fixing it myself. It's an Epiphone Les Paul Special II if that helps.

do you live in the US?

i was wondering, because i can see you put $, but any shop that charges over $20-30
for a plastic nut, needs to go out of business.

if you want to fix it yourself, post back for a guide.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 28, 2009,
I agree $150.00 is expensive but most good shops that will replace the nut will do a full set up and maybe dress and level the frets. A nut is less than ten bucks and not very hard to replace yourself. I try and use the old nut as a guide when adjusting then height but some guitars I have bought minus a nut is a little harder especially for someone with no experience. I would get a graphite nut it's a bit more expensive but well worth the extra 2 or 3 bucks.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I agree $150.00 is expensive but most good shops that will replace the nut will do a full set up and maybe dress and level the frets.

this is true, but definitely make sure they're doing all that work before you pay $150. if not, you'd be paying way WAY too much
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
seriously tho it's a $150 guitar. the shop had to know that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011