I'm going to see Motorhead tonight. It will be fun to watch Lemmy strum chords most of the time. I have never seen his physical playing technique up close. Any tips on what I should expect, what I should watch for?

Just for fun - Post your message to Lemmy. I often get to spend some time with the band after the show. Maybe I can share your shoutout.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
I love Lemmy's approach twords the bass. I just love watching him play with ease, like he's not doing anything at all, except for smoking a cigarette and singing.
Oh and my message to him:
Even though he has one of the most unique and interesting bass tones ever, I would NEVER want my bass to sound like THAT
Quote by LowEndSlacker
. I have never seen his physical playing technique up close. Any tips on what I should expect, what I should watch for?

Loud. Watch out for flying people in Overkill, hold up your hands during Mikkey's drum solo and feel the toms beat your hands.

And check out Lemmy's minor bass solo in Stay Clean if they play it.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Ask him if he'll give you 2 of his Rick's. One for you and one for me :P

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by creepingjesus73
Watch just how violent his right hand gets with the plec. And, yeah, he just makes it look so damned easy!

Message: Remember me? I was 'that tosser' who stuck his head inside a bass bin, Barrowlands, Nov '91.

only could happen at the barrowlands even more reason its the greatest venue in existance imo seen like 6 bands there :P

But i envy you right now.Tell Lemmy i will be at their gig in Scotland in November :P and tell him who ever chose the damned as the support band has a great taste.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I demand a full review. Motorhead is one of those bands that I love but I've never seen live.

Fun fact: Lemmy actually was one of a large handful of bassists who have played with the Damned over the years.
Thanks for you comments guys. The support acts were Throw Rag (punk) and Rev Horton Heat (rockabilly). Both won the crowd over with excellent performances. Motorhead was everything a musician would expect, extremely articulate, tight, and LOUD. Painfully loud. Although Lemmy has a mid-rangey tone you could always feel his riffing. As Killed-By-Death mentioned, you could feel every single drum strike pound your body during Mikkey Dees drum solo. These guys hit you with a metal gauntlet. They played a traditional set list made up of fan favorites and methodically worked the crowd into a frenzy. Needless to say it was a fantastic show.

As for the bass playing: I found it interesting that Lemmy tends to fret with his thumb and first three fingers. The pinky almost never landed on the fretboard. Since he is essentially playing bar chords most of the time using the thumb probably gives more clamping pressure. The right hand technique was pure rhythm guitarist. Violent strumming movements, but using a std guitar pick with a very light touch of the strings. Let the amp do all the work. Single note runs were held to a minimum. Most of the riffing was done with 3 or 4 strings. Lemmys playing was surprisingly clean.

Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee hung out with us for a while. Lemmy starting playing video games and, like any addict, couldn't stop. I had to send one of the road mgrs in to get an autograph. If you guys ever want to meet Lemmy I suggest hanging out by the video poker machines at the Rainbow in LA. That's where the crew says you will find him when the tours over.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Last edited by LowEndSlacker at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by anarkee
Fun fact: Lemmy actually was one of a large handful of bassists who have played with the Damned over the years.

You'd be quicker listing who hasn't been in The Damned! Rat Scabies was the drummer on the Lemmy/ Wendy O Williams side project which caused Fast Eddie to walk.

Quote by Razgriz_101
only could happen at the barrowlands even more reason its the greatest venue in existance imo seen like 6 bands there :P

I've lost count of the Barras gigs! Seen Motorhead there 5x. Still have the tinnitus from the '91 gig. Yep, my ears have been constantly whistling for nearly 18 years!
The sprung floor is what makes it so good, I'd say - the floor just drags everyone into the middle.