Hey guys. 17 here, been playing since I was 13 or so. Looking back I'm not as good as others who have started around the same time or a little prior to when I started. I feel that I can attribute this to a lack of proper practice. I feel like Ive wasted the last 2 years "just playing" and not learning. Can someone recommend me a way to I guess "relearn guitar". I barely know chords other than major,minor and maj/min7ths. Forgot most of my theory and such. Can you guys help a kid get back up on his feet?
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Ive also lost alot of finger speed and dexterity since I stopped my real practicing. The guitar doesnt feel as natural in my hand as it used to. help!
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Well.. you could find a teacher but if thats not your thing you should just practice maybe look up what you forgot online. If you want to get your speed ot technique back scales would be helpful. Mainly you should just practice though, you just need to make a commitment
mmm. I think that maybe exactly what I need.
For those of you who exercise or do strength training (another hobby of mine). I'm looking for the Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe except for guitar.
Quote by Twist of fate

hey, dude.

I learnt classical guitar for about 5 years, and although it is great to learn the theory, etc. that is teaches, what i really should have learned was electric guitar, because i really wanted to be able to improv and solo and stuff like that. So i went on youtube and here on UG lessons and surfed google a bit, and i learnt quite a bit about scales you can improv in and chord progressions and arpeggios and stuff. I have only been teaching myself for 6 months and I gotta say that its worked wonders for me.

maybe my story isnt relevent to yours but... good luck, mate.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
LESSONS.

I started learning guitar about half a year before I applied to college. I had to audition for college, and my guitar instructor powered me through all the learning, and I was able to pass the audition with flying colors. I am now in college going for a Bachelor of Arts with a Jazz Emphasis.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke