Since I started playing, I've used nothing but tortex .46mm red picks. Got used them and never used anything else until today, after a trip to the music shop. Decided to investigate outside of comfort zone and got myself a .60mm and a .71mm and I have to say I was blown away. After 30mins playin with the .71 I can't even bear to play with those red ones any longer. (except for chordy songs) Been playin with the thick one now for about 3hrs total and have noticed a hefty jump in the accuracy (and therefore speed ) of my picking .................Just from changing picks!!!

I only wish I'd tried different picks sooner, but then the difference might not have been as noticable. Gonna try a few different shapes and thickness's over the next few weeks and find the perfect pick for me.
cool story, bro.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
try those jazz three dunlop picks--extra thick, tear-drop shaped, with a pointed tip. great for speed. awesome for artificial harmonics. i switched and my speed improved dramatically.
Yea it does help a little bit switching. I started with normal tortex yellow picks and eventually tried clayton which were around the same but I think a little better then I got metal picks (very slippery feeling on the strings it really doesn't sound good) and then I tried Jazz III picks from dunlop which were really light and fast then I went back to normal size claytons and I like them the best. Don't ask about the sizes I never check hahaha.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by S. S. Drear
try those jazz three dunlop picks--extra thick, tear-drop shaped, with a pointed tip. great for speed. awesome for artificial harmonics. i switched and my speed improved dramatically.

i use those too, i cant use a normal shaped pick anymore these things are amazing
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
from that angle you look like my girfriend.
Quote by S. S. Drear

Yeah, I'm quite interested to give them a go now. Think I'll order some of the net tomorrow.
its all about how you feel, no?

but yeah. theres a lot of variety in picks, and i think its a great idea to find the one thats best for you.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
i just switched from a Dava jazz pick to a Silver Herco. me likey
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
There was a guy on here yesterday who spend $50 on some kind bone pick....
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I don't like thin picks... anything under .88 feels very floppy... .88 is about perfect for me.
I hate Jazz Picks. I can never use small picks for some reason, they don't fit my style.

I use yellow tortex picks, a little thicker then medium picks.
Quote by MechMike
Since I started playing, I've used nothing but tortex .46mm red picks. Got used them and never used anything else until today, after a trip to the music shop. Decided to investigate outside of comfort zone and got myself a .60mm and a .71mm and I have to say I was blown away. After 30mins playin with the .71 I can't even bear to play with those red ones any longer. (except for chordy songs) Been playin with the thick one now for about 3hrs total and have noticed a hefty jump in the accuracy (and therefore speed ) of my picking .................Just from changing picks!!!

I only wish I'd tried different picks sooner, but then the difference might not have been as noticable. Gonna try a few different shapes and thickness's over the next few weeks and find the perfect pick for me.

http://www.actionmusic.com/images/products/misc/DunlopTortexRed.jpg

In all seriousness imo don't use the Jazz III's unless you're prepared to constantly use and then wean yourself off them.

They're like a drug lol. You start using them but then we there are no Jazz III's around and you g2 play with a regular pick your superpower is gone. This is why you always gotta switch around with your picks.

Imo use Jazz III's if you want but I like me some regular picks. I use the 88mm Green Tortex's. I also like the 1.14 turqoise blue gator grips from Dunlop as well.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I don't like thin picks... anything under .88 feels very floppy... .88 is about perfect for me.

The main difference I've noticed is that when I play with the thicker pick, I get the note I want there and then...................It is obvious to me now that the thinner pick takes longer to have to slide and flick off the string first which now seems almost sloppy.I Get much better tone with the thicker picks to.
Bodombullet. My mate pissed himself laughin at that picture. I got well owned

I was almost certain that the red tortex were .46 . . . . . . . The only ones I have in the house all have the print rubbed off 'em so there you go.........I wasn't far off but.

I'll leave the first post unedited , so everyone can laugh at my failure.
Last edited by MechMike at Aug 28, 2009,
I use the purple tortex picks...I think they're 1.14 mm?
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
I use Brain .53 mm's.
Use to use 1.44 mm Frostbytes. The tapered sides are awesome.

Hate tortex pics and anything without a grip...
I use the Pitch Black Tortex 1.14 Jazz III's. I wanna switch to normal Tortex 1.14 but it's too hard haha.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I have to use Dunlop 1mm nylons or I just can't play very well at all, I definately can't play pinch harmonics unless i'm using them thats for sure.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*