Quite similar to attractive women who feign an insecurity to their looks and say absurdities concerning things like their weight; I hate amazing guitarists who KNOW they're terrific and use the exact same depreciation tactic some women use to fish for compliments.

Worst is if you go outright and compliment a guitarist for a well done guitar solo and he or she replies ''Ah, that one was totally sloppy, utter wank, I'll have a proper and PRO one set up soon''.

Are they serious ?

Jesus, whenever somebody compliments me, I don't soliloquise at length about how much better I really am or how **** I am, I just say... 'Thank you.'' And thats the thing, they rarely ever say that.
yeah. it bugs me when people fish for compliments too.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
It is a bit annoying, i know a guy who is alot better than me and whenever i congratulate him he says oh no it was ****, but i mean, personally, i just say thanks, but i don't really think i am amazingly special.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I hate when I'm trying to be modest and someone accuses me of fishing for compliments.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Well yeah, they're simultaneously fishing for compliments and trying to put on a respectable ere of modesty.

Thing is, most of their peers (the ones I know personally) are other guitar players. So, when one guy rips through ...say... ''Far beyond the sun'' a few bpm faster than the regular version, with absolute precision while reading the back to Albert Camus's ''L'Étranger'' and tells us he has terrible technique

We all start to feel like ****e :P
I know that people I know think I'm good, but I don't think I am. I'd imagine it's the same for guitarists much better than me. No matter how good you are, you'll find things to criticize about your own playing that nobody else notices.
Quote by Holy Katana
I know that people I know think I'm good, but I don't think I am. I'd imagine it's the same for guitarists much better than me. No matter how good you are, you'll find things to criticize about your own playing that nobody else notices.

THIS.
See I do the same thing with piano, but i really don't think i'm very good

so when people say like "you're really good," i'd say "thanks, but i'm really not that great, there are a lot of people me age better than me"
EDIT: ^ i wish my brother was like you. someone will compliment him and he'll either act like he's ignoring it or be all "i know, right?"

Quote by Holy Katana

pretty much this, but i don't criticize myself on what i can play, i criticize myself on wat i cant play and probably should be able to. everyone who's seen me play guitar and know how long i've been playin(2yrs) thinks i'm an amazing guitarist considering how long i've been playin, but i'm pessimistic and have low self esteem and i don't think i'm that great so i guess it keeps me modest. but outright fishing for compliments makes me mad. my brother does it all the time. he'll play some 80's keyboard riff, a few simple basslines and a generic drum beat and comes upstairs saying "I'm sounding pretty good on the (insert uke, bass, drums, or keyboard here) aren't i?" or "that was pretty cool wasn't it?"
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Last edited by skwelcher at Aug 28, 2009,
It happens too much now. Almost everyone does it, where I am.

But it occurs so much that every conversation involving any self criticism just hits the same pattern.

"You're amazing at guitar."
"Nah, I'm not very good [provides reasons and examples why]"
"No, you are."
"Well how would you know? I'm not."
"You aaaaare."
*i walk away*

You just get the feeling that people can't really be honest with each other.
When it's a girl it is for compliments, and when it is for most other things it's just wanting to improve. (and maybe compliments)
Usually, if someone compliments my playing, I'll just say "thanks, I really appreciate it!" and smile. Then, I don't mention it again.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Well.......
Why do you center your images?

It's much funnier.
To be honest I used to fish for compliments but then I grew up. When someone compliments me on my guitar playing and if I didn't like it I'll say something like, "Well, I didn't like it much but thank you".

If I believe I was good then I'd say, "Thank you".

Honestly, when hot girls bring out their insecurities to be reassured w/ me I lose the desire to speak w/ them. It's REALLY annoying to me, like NINJAMONKEYPENISPIRATE annoying.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

I hate when people compliment me because only people who don't play/really suck at playing compliment me. And they never believe me when I say I'm not particularly good. And I can't bring myself to just say "thanks" and pretend not to disagree with them.
the only time i ever say the solo was bad was when i actually butchered it and they are saying it to be nice, otherwise i just say "thanks" or "yeah i guess"
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Most of the time I don't like getting complements because I know how much better I could have done...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
when people say like, "nice job" or like "you're good at bass" i just say "Eh, it was alright" or "yeah, i'm alright i guess."

Not fishing for compliments though. Im just really modest.