Save up $500, then go on UG and ask what good guitars are for that price.

There are a few reasons why:

1. You can't get very many good guitars for such a price
2. You don't know whether other people's preferences will suit you

When looking for a new guitar, what you should do is some research, find out the best guitar for you, try some out at local music stores, and save up the price. It doesn't matter if it's $50 or $5k, you should save up knowing what you want, rather than saving up and asking around what you can get for $500 or less.

Thx 4 reading

EDIT: Please read
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Aug 29, 2009,
so with that.....what guitar should i get?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
This is a perfect example of what's pointless to rant about.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
This is a perfect example of what's pointless to rant about.

fixed.

so, i have $500, and i'm looking for a good rant.

what do you guys think i should get?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by 1nSingularity

3. It's REALLY annoying

When looking for a new guitar, what you should do is some research, find out the best guitar for you, try some out at local music stores, and save up the price. It doesn't matter if it's $50 or $5k, you should save up knowing what you want, rather than saving up and asking around what you can get for $500 or less.

Thx 4 reading

Thats not true at all-

Firstly- you can get a decent guitar at any price really- every price bracket has its stars- an example is that a Japanese Jackson runs roughly for $500 bucks and it is a good guitar, yet not alot of people know that.

Second- other peoples preferences give you a new view on your own biased views

Third- if you aren't willing to help out those looking for a new guitar, then by all means don't. The whole point of this forum is to research and share information and experiences with guitars. If a kid playing for 6 months needs some help choosing between an Ibanez or a Jackson- I will share my experiences with them and see what they think.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I bought my amazing semihollow for £245. Good guitars on the cheap exist, you just have to find them.
Ebow > Adam Black Hydra/hhttp://i53.tinypic.com/opzadt.jpg > Morley PVO+ Volume > TC Electronic Polytune > Blackstar HT-DRIVE > EHX Big Muff > Danelectro Danecho > Line 6 Verbzilla > Akai Headrush > Akai Headrush > Laney VC30-212 w/Celestion G12H30 70th SEs
You know, I tend to save up, and know exactly what I want, then end up getting a completely different guitar.
Rant officially failed.

Since I figure you do not understand why, let me simply explain it to you, this is a place to get help with tings such as what guitar to buy, and others may know what you want better than you(I almost bought an agathis body guitar having never tried it.).
Thank you for your opinion. No one cares. Maybe you should stick around for a couple years, instead of whining like a little bitch after being on the forums for a couple months.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
My Godin was $450 and it plays as good as most $1K plus guitars I've played.
Quote by 1nSingularity

3. It's REALLY annoying

Thx 4 reading

Actually, asking for other people's opinions is a good idea when buying an instrument of any cost. You can hear other people's experiences with the models, and some models might even be brought up that you didn't think of before. So overall, people asking for advice are being smart about their future purchase.

Also, when it comes to price, sure, most $500 guitars aren't going to be as good as a $3000 guitar, but it never hurts to ask. Even very cheap guitars have their share of good and bad models. There is nothing wrong with asking advice on buying a less expensive guitar.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
my guide to being a troll

#1 everything is terrible,babies and half price sales at guitar center included
#2 Tell everyone that there wrong and that your the only one who is right
#3 post rants all over the internet spreading the troll spirit to all

YOU TROLLINNNNGGGGG
You come on a guitar forum dedicated to helping guitarists, and feeding pitmonkeys, but you rant about it? You got me.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Yeah I wouldn't ask that question. However there is nothing wrong questioning the forum about certain aspects of guitars and such. In fact, if it wasn't for these forums Id be stuck with a spider III atm
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Owned TS is owned.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by lunetico
my guide to being a troll

#1 everything is terrible,babies and half price sales at guitar center included
#2 Tell everyone that there wrong and that your the only one who is right
#3 post rants all over the internet spreading the troll spirit to all

YOU TROLLINNNNGGGGG

This is very inspiring
Well this thread basically fails. Unless TS was getting some fingercise, there's not much point to it at all...

Out of all the things to live and let die... this should be let to die.
Quote by Brave Moonlight
You know, I tend to save up, and know exactly what I want, then end up getting a completely different guitar.

This. I was saving up for a Jackson Soloist of some sort, and i ended up getting a Highway One Stratocaster.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
ive been coming here and reading posts for over a year b4 i ever joined and ive learned alot here about guitars, you just have to get past all the bull sh&t and silly kiddie responses. so asking othe peeps opinions on types of guitars is perfecty fine imo. as long as you keep an open mind and go play the guitar in question on an amp that closly matches your own if possible. and 500 dollars will get you a good guitar especially if you are willing to by a used one.
tobacco sunburst schecter c1 classic
black,with creme binding ibanez arc-100
tubescreamer
fender,"ultimate chorus"amp
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Actually, asking for other people's opinions is a good idea when buying an instrument of any cost. You can hear other people's experiences with the models, and some models might even be brought up that you didn't think of before. So overall, people asking for advice are being smart about their future purchase.

Also, when it comes to price, sure, most $500 guitars aren't going to be as good as a $3000 guitar, but it never hurts to ask. Even very cheap guitars have their share of good and bad models. There is nothing wrong with asking advice on buying a less expensive guitar.
I am aware of this. I just find it redundant that people save up $500, and say 'This is my budget, I want a good guitar'. That's great and all, but you'd be better off waiting to get something better. A lot of people (not all) decide not to budge from their budget, and this can mean they compromise their quality, and their experience.

I am not trying to have a go at the people asking for advice on cheap guitars. I'm trying to tell them that this is not the best way to go about looking for a new guitar. My first reason states that people may tell them about a good guitar, but you may not like it. If you buy it anyway, it could be a waste of money when you could have gotten something else that is better for you.

Apart from that, yes, I do find it kinda annoying that people expect to get a decent guitar for cheap prices. I acknowledge that you can get great guitars for quite low prices (I myself have a $450 G-400, which I absolutely love), but even if you are looking for guitars at low prices, you shouldn't go onto a forum (not unlike UG) and ask for opinions on what is good. You'd be better off going to try some things out for yourself. If you are asking what is better between two different guitar models, the consensus might be that one is good and the other is bad. You go out and buy the good one, and it turns out you don't like it, well, you're kinda screwed. And if you try it out first and you don't like it, it is possible you might think that the other one might be worse. But it could be better for you. I posted on a forum whether to get a G-400, or an SG standard once. The consensus was that I should go with the Standard. However I bought the G-400. The reason was that it played exactly the same (if not better) as the standard, and it wasn't worth 4 times the amount. If I had waited for the money to get the Standard, I would have had to wait a long while for something that wasn't really worth it. I'm sure that Standard is 'better', but the G-400 was better for me.

What I always say, when someone else is asking for cheap guitars is "Whatever suits you". Because, quite obviously, different guitars suit different people.

I am simply trying to help people by telling them that there are better ways to go about looking for new guitars. I apologise if I came across as harsh.
Quote by 1nSingularity
I am aware of this. I just find it redundant that people save up $500, and say 'This is my budget, I want a good guitar'. That's great and all, but you'd be better off waiting to get something better. A lot of people (not all) decide not to budge from their budget, and this can mean they compromise their quality, and their experience.

I am not trying to have a go at the people asking for advice on cheap guitars. I'm trying to tell them that this is not the best way to go about looking for a new guitar. My first reason states that people may tell them about a good guitar, but you may not like it. If you buy it anyway, it could be a waste of money when you could have gotten something else that is better for you.

Apart from that, yes, I do find it kinda annoying that people expect to get a decent guitar for cheap prices. I acknowledge that you can get great guitars for quite low prices (I myself have a $450 G-400, which I absolutely love), but even if you are looking for guitars at low prices, you shouldn't go onto a forum (not unlike UG) and ask for opinions on what is good. You'd be better off going to try some things out for yourself. If you are asking what is better between two different guitar models, the consensus might be that one is good and the other is bad. You go out and buy the good one, and it turns out you don't like it, well, you're kinda screwed. And if you try it out first and you don't like it, it is possible you might think that the other one might be worse. But it could be better for you. I posted on a forum whether to get a G-400, or an SG standard once. The consensus was that I should go with the Standard. However I bought the G-400. The reason was that it played exactly the same (if not better) as the standard, and it wasn't worth 4 times the amount. If I had waited for the money to get the Standard, I would have had to wait a long while for something that wasn't really worth it. I'm sure that Standard is 'better', but the G-400 was better for me.

What I always say, when someone else is asking for cheap guitars is "Whatever suits you". Because, quite obviously, different guitars suit different people.

I am simply trying to help people by telling them that there are better ways to go about looking for new guitars. I apologise if I came across as harsh.

tbh you do come across as kind of a jerk, but if your intentions are good then that's okay. I mean, most people who come asking for advice on guitars just really want to hear people's opinions, and alot of times they can learn about brands of guitars that they never knew about. very few stores here in Germany carry Schecter guitars, for instance, and if I had never asked UG about budget guitars I probably never would have thought about trying them out.

turns out I hate Schecters, but that's a different story
Quote by 1nSingularity

I come to this site for help because of three things.

1. I am a 15-year-old, and therefore, I cannot legally drive, and do not go anywhere often(except school and football)

2. 80% of guitars I have considered getting are not available in my local music store. *coughfseriescough*

3. I live in a very rural area, so cannot spend all day looking at Youtube videos(hughesnet has a 200mb download limit, or about 30 minutes worth of videos).

And I like some of those basic $500 posts because it is one less post I have to make to educate my decision.