Seriously.

What pedals should I use for stuff like Joy Division, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bauhaus, The Cure, etc. Right now I have a Small Clone, Ibanez DE7, and a Turbo Rat. I'm thinking a flanger, reverb, and wah of some kind?

What do you guys use? I know not many people listen to this stuff, but there has to be somebody.
I have a Small Clone and a Boss PH-2 Super Phaser I use for post-punk. I'd like to get Memory Boy, a reverb and a flanger.

I know Joy Division used an EHX Clone Theory a lot. Robert Smith apparently likes Boss pedals, his rig is on Guitar Geek.
Thank you Gailan for actually responding

I would love a Clone Theory, but I'd want a vintage one which run like $300. How do you think a BF-2 would fair for a flanger?

I'd rather have a Memory Toy over a Boy just because I don't need the modulation.
I don't really need the modulation but I'm hoping the chorus on the Boy is good enough to kick my Small Clone off my guitar board so I can put it on my bass board

BF-2s are suppose to be great. I'd like one but they're kind of hard to find and I don't like bidding wars on eBay. I'll probably settle and get a Deluxe Electric Mistress. I hate it's size but it does sound good.
I suppose I'll post out of kindness

I'd reccomend a good digital delay and a nice reverb. The Digitech Timebender has gripped my attention recently
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
I like my DD-6 a lot for post punk. Other than that, any deep chorus should work and, as far as reverb goes, look into the Boss RV-3 or 5 (the modulation mode sounds really cool on high settings with delay and chorus) or a Line 6 Verbzilla. I also find that I get the best sounds for this using my neck pickup and fairly bright amp settings.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Yeah, the size is the only thing putting the DEM off for me. And for me, putting pedals on top of it is out of the question

Maybe I will go for a BF-2. I found one for like $50 on eBay as a "Buy it Now" auction, so I think I'll go for it. IMO, flanger > phaser in every respect, they are just so much more usable and much more subtle. I like them more.

What would you suggest for a tremolo pedal? Something subtle and a lot of knobs, preferably

EDIT: Oh I didn't see the other posts. Unlike my mod pedals, I don't like having a lot of knobs on my reverb. I wish there were more options for reverb. Are RV-5s worth it at all? I just flat out don't need to pay more for the delay part of the RV-3.

I personally like dark amps more than bright amps, especially for this genre anyway. I'd rather take a Vox then a Fender.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone

EDIT: Oh I didn't see the other posts. Unlike my mod pedals, I don't like having a lot of knobs on my reverb. I wish there were more options for reverb. Are RV-5s worth it at all? I just flat out don't need to pay more for the delay part of the RV-3.

It depends on what you want. The RV-3 will let you have a 100% wet setting and the reverbs are can get pretty washy. The RV-5 may be a bit more diverse and the Modulate mode is a pretty unique and very cool feature. As far as the quality of the reverbs, its pretty debatable. The RV-3 is probably a bit better, but I dont really know if its with the price difference, especially if you dont want to use the delay.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by The_Bosstone
Yeah, I'm not sure. Isn't the RV-2 just reverb?

Yeah. I dont know too much about it other than that though.
Board:
I didn't like phasers until I got my PH-2.

my favorite flanger usage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyebnhDD5Cw

for simple reverb, I'd suggest a Holy Grail. I really like how they sound and they're not very expensive. I don't know if I want a Nano Holy Grail or the Cathedral. I'd like reverse reverb but I don't like all the knobs the Cathedral has. Maybe an RV-7.

as for tremolo, I don't know. I use my Vox's built in tremolo. It gets the job done.
Quote by Miss G
I didn't like phasers until I got my PH-2.

my favorite flanger usage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyebnhDD5Cw

for simple reverb, I'd suggest a Holy Grail. I really like how they sound and they're not very expensive. I don't know if I want a Nano Holy Grail or the Cathedral. I'd like reverse reverb but I don't like all the knobs the Cathedral has. Maybe an RV-7.

as for tremolo, I don't know. I use my Vox's built in tremolo. It gets the job done.

I would only go for the Holy Grail if you dont want a lot of reverb.
Board:
Ahh, I love that song.

Call me ridiculously shallow, but I can't bring myself to get a Nano Grail because they are so ugly. I could do a regular Holy Grail though.

I'm not looking for a massive amount of reverb, or any special stuff. I just want something that will give my notes more depth. I could live with a Grail on like 3oclock on the Spring Reverb setting most likely.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
Ahh, I love that song.

Call me ridiculously shallow, but I can't bring myself to get a Nano Grail because they are so ugly. I could do a regular Holy Grail though.

I'm not looking for a massive amount of reverb, or any special stuff. I just want something that will give my notes more depth. I could live with a Grail on like 1oclock on the Spring Reverb setting most likely.

Then it should be pretty good for you. I like the stuff I play to be pretty wet sounding, but if you want it to be more clear, the Grail wouldnt be a bad pick
Board:
Quote by The_Bosstone
Ahh, I love that song.

I'm not looking for a massive amount of reverb, or any special stuff. I just want something that will give my notes more depth. I could live with a Grail on like 3oclock on the Spring Reverb setting most likely.

both Holy Grails look loads better than the Cathedral
Well, thats definitely true

Yeah, I think tonight I'm gonna order a Grail and a BF-2. Then once my other pedals sell, I'll get some sort of fuzz and a wah. Possibly an EQ so I can boost the bass too.
So is this the new TPR thread?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Well, thats definitely true

Yeah, I think tonight I'm gonna order a Grail and a BF-2. Then once my other pedals sell, I'll get some sort of fuzz and a wah. Possibly an EQ so I can boost the bass too.

nice, let me know what you think of them. I want them both

I'm so torn on the Jagmaster thing. One half of me says get it. The other half says chill out and just play the sh*t you have.
is this an only thread like the Post rock one?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I was considering going with a Jagmaster before I got my Tele. They are REALLY nice for that price, I say go for it if you can replace the pick ups.

I almost just posted in this thread thinking that it was the Post Rock Thread (reading fail)....

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i know lots of joy division song's melodies are carried by chorded bass riffs with chorus.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Does being a big Smiths fan count?

I also really like Joy Division, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, Elvis Costello, Television, Talking Heads, XTC and The Cure, so I'm sure I have "some" post-punk cred...right?
Dan, in short, yes. The Smiths are fantastic.

Why do the Clone Theory and DEM have to be so fucking huge? Which one is bigger?
Oh sweet. I saw one for like $300 and I thought they all were that expensive.

Those RH muffs sound great. How would you go about ordering one?
Quote by nightraven
anything around $100 would be a good deal

gotta be patient with them though. i've seen a couple under $100 go by. almost jumped on one for $80 but it seemed like a shady deal.

btw i've been checking out muffs on this page all day http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html and the ram's head muffs are pretty JAMC-y

Get a GGG Shin-Ei Companion clone. they're like 50 bucks, and using one with a hollowbody and a fender amp IS JAMC.
Hehe, saw this thread above the post rock thread and thought there was two of them for a second!

Anyway I'm a huge Bauhaus fan so I thought I'd drop in though I haven't really got a lot to add gear wise at the moment really.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain