So I tuned my guitar to drop D and on the lower frets, on the low E string, I get some buzz when I fret it. For example, If I bar the low E, the A and D on the 11th fret and play those 3, the low E kinda buzzes. But if I slide that shape up to say the 3rd or 5th fret, it's fine.

Any tips?
What gauge strings are you using?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I have no idea, they're the factory strings that came with my guitar

Should I purchase some thicker gauge strings?
any time you down tune you'll have a little less tension on your strings. it's most likely all that's happening. i'd recommend some heavier strings; probably 10 or 11 gauges
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Yeah, lighter strings are more slinky and easier to bend and fret in standard tuning.
Heavier gauge strings will feel almost like a light string in E standard if it's drop tuned. And they prevent buzz.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by MOTOSLAYER777
you could possibly have a hump in your neck. try loosening the nut a tiny bit.

How do I do that?

Also, if I raise the action, how does it help since I'll still be fretting the string anyway :s

And also, is there anyway to know what gauge my string is cause I don't want to go and buy a set of strings of the same or less gauge
Quote by Ramza126
How do I do that?

Also, if I raise the action, how does it help since I'll still be fretting the string anyway :s

And also, is there anyway to know what gauge my string is cause I don't want to go and buy a set of strings of the same or less gauge

what guitar is it? that might help us tell you what the string gauge is.

i wouldn't adjust the truss rod (which i'm guessing motoslayer meant) if you've never done it before. turn that too much and you could mess something up with your neck. not worth the risk.

and raising the action would raise the strings at the bridge so fretting might be a little bit tougher, but if you only raise it a tiny bit you might not notice at all. but the more you raise the action, the farther the strings would be from the frets while you're playing.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I'm using an unbranded strat copy. Cost me like 80 euro. It's good for a beginner like me I guess

How do I go about raising the action?
Quote by Ramza126
So I tuned my guitar to drop D and on the lower frets, on the low E string, I get some buzz when I fret it. For example, If I bar the low E, the A and D on the 11th fret and play those 3, the low E kinda buzzes. But if I slide that shape up to say the 3rd or 5th fret, it's fine.

Any tips?

use heavier gauge strings for drop D

after you string up, post back if you need to know how to raise the bridge.

dont touch the truss rod, without measuring the neck relief.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Ramza126
How do I do that?

You more than likely have the normal 9- whatever gauge. Most guitars come with that I've noticed.

Anyway, just picture raising the action drastically, and unrealistically, like a foot. now imagine fretting it, the string would made a V almost, and probably won't even touch the fret. Just apply that concept, but on a much much smaller scale.
Putting new strings on helps a lot.

Just putting it out there.

If that doesn't fix it, raising your action slightly (honestly, like .5mm-2.5mm) should be enough. if you have a TOM bridge, you'll need a flathead screwdriver and turn the screws left.