Okay I'm trying to write a book and finally finished a first chapter I like

Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering. Would it be an awful idea to post it either on my profile or on here to share? Like is that just asking for it to get stolen? I mean when I'm done I plan on sending it to get published, but I also really want to share my work as I'm kind of proud of it. I'd also have to get a lot of editing done first though.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I'm always scared of posting things like original songs and what not on the internet. But that's just me.

^could be a very gripping chapter
Balls.
well as many people on writing forums would tell you, if you think it's good enough to be stolen, it probably isn't.
Quote by Well.......
I don't see why someone would steal it. It's just a chapter.

Well, I wouldn't leave you guys hanging I'd post as I wrote but I don't know if it's a good idea.

Quote by CoreysMonster
well as many people on writing forums would tell you, if you think it's good enough to be stolen, it probably isn't.

I don't know, I'm humble about it, and I know not everyone will like it, but I'm really proud of it. It's really rough right now but everyone who has read it really liked it and they just said to edit, I mean I don't think being proud of your work is so bad.
Last edited by tayroar at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by tayroar
Well, I wouldn't leave you guys hanging I'd post as I wrote but I don't know if it's a good idea.

keep it to your profile. no one is going to read an entire book chapter in the pit.
Quote by tayroar

I wouldn't. There are always dishonest people out there.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Thinking someone will steal your work sounds instantaneously practical and paranoid. Or that you're very confident about your writing, enough to post it and think others will steal it.

There are better forums to post it, where you will get constructive criticism.

In the Pit it will most likely be "It sucks!" or if it's good, people kissing your ass.

Tireedit:

Quote by CoreysMonster
Last edited by Tire Me. at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
keep it to your profile. no one is going to read an entire book chapter in the pit.

Probably not. You'd get asked for a "TL;DR".
Oh also, it is more of a short story. Like I'm writing a series of short stories that compile into one major story.
if you want to get it seriously published, do not post it anywhere on the internet. that is enough for publishers to not want to look any further at it. share it with PMs for those who are interested and show close friends. don't worry about people stealing it so much as it losing its value.
One of two things will happen if your work gets stolen. One, you never found out and you are unaffected. Two, you do find out and this thread is proof of you writing it first and you sue the **** out of them.
Quote by tayroar
Oh also, it is more of a short story. Like I'm writing a series of short stories that compile into one major story.

it doesn't matter. we're not a writing forum. if it's lulz-worthy, post it in the pit, if you just want to share/brag put it on your profile, if you want serious crit, take it to a different forum.
I'd be much more afraid of it being ridiculed nonstop than actually stolen. What's said book about?
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by CoreysMonster
it doesn't matter. we're not a writing forum. if it's lulz-worthy, post it in the pit, if you just want to share/brag put it on your profile, if you want serious crit, take it to a different forum.

Yeah I'd more want to share, but I'll not do it. It seems you all think I'm egotistical now lol. I was just proud of my work and thought it would suck for it to be stolen, ah well.
Quote by tayroar
Yeah I'd more want to share, but I'll not do it. It seems you all think I'm egotistical now lol. I was just proud of my work and thought it would suck for it to be stolen, ah well.

now we like you even less, because you're whining.
Quote by tayroar

We don't think you have a big ego, it's just that it's possible if you're really paranoid about it.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Pit never fails.
Quote by Monolith295
I'd be much more afraid of it being ridiculed nonstop than actually stolen. What's said book about?

It's set in like a world after the fall of civilization and I'm taking things that have been in myth and lore for ages and I'm explaining it as like either the military made that creature as a weapon to scare the enemy or something along the lines of that. The main character is a "god" that has been alive since civilization had fallen and he was originally built as a super soldier. I could go more in depth but don't really feel like it.
Quote by tayroar
It's set in like a world after the fall of civilization and I'm taking things that have been in myth and lore for ages and I'm explaining it as like either the military made that creature as a weapon to scare the enemy or something along the lines of that. The main character is a "god" that has been alive since civilization had fallen and he was originally built as a super soldier. I could go more in depth but don't really feel like it.

oh, a quitter too, are we?

EDIT: and if the entire story is written as incoherently as that summary go ahead and post it everywhere, tatoo it on your buttcheeks and moon everyone you know for all I care.

okay, I'll leave you alone now
but in all honesty, that DOES sound like something I would actually be interested in reading. post a passage, perhaps? instead of the whole chapter?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by tayroar

Meh, just post it in the Creative Writing Thread.

I'm writing something at the moment (at the steady rate of five sentences per week ) but when I get my first chapter done I'm probably going to post it in there just to see what people think and either give up on it or keep going for a couple more chapters. I'm not really worried about my story getting stolen though, as I'm probably just going to buy a domain name and upload the story onto there so people can read it for free.

I should add that I'm going to set the site out as a book and get my friend's brother to illustrate certain parts of it too.
Last edited by soulflyV at Aug 28, 2009,
Sounds sorta like Captain America meets Godzilla. Which is something I've always wanted to see without even realizing it.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by CoreysMonster

God you're an ass. People like you need to get a life. The guy just wants to share something that he's worked hard on.

To answer your question ts, I don't think it's a good idea to post it on the internet. I write a bit, and I wouldn't post any of my work.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Quote by zackR
God you're an ass. People like you need to get a sense of humour. The guy just wants to share something that he's worked hard on.

To answer your question ts, I don't think it's a good idea to post it on the internet. I write a bit, and I wouldn't post any of my work.

It looks to me like you're the only one laughing.

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Quote by soulflyV

Quote by zackR
It looks to me like I was in the wrong, that I infact may have been a bit of a dick, and I apologize.

apology accepted.
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh, a quitter too, are we?

You actually care to know? Well, there was a drug developed to change people's genetics and change their appearance along with it. Well one of the "gods" I call it the seven, had the power to essentially create like a hive mind and infect people through a gas method, and he got a hold of this drug. Well he was ****ing around with it and like took way too much and combined it with the blood of a lizard. He became the Lizard King. He is my antagonist. His method of using gas to infect people has failed due to the failure and age of his tech to do it and he wound up biting people to get the nano bots in his saliva into other people's blood. The people he infects get the drug he took too and slowly begin transforming into these Lizards. The Lizards are his army and have free thought and choice until the LK decides to take it away. Oh, the LK also has other powers that he has taken from others of "The Seven." I didn't wanna go too in depth because I'm sure some people got lost in that.
Aw... I wanted to see some e-fists fly.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Quote by tayroar
You actually care to know? Well, there was a drug developed to change people's genetics and change their appearance along with it. Well one of the "gods" I call it the seven, had the power to essentially create like a hive mind and infect people through a gas method, and he got a hold of this drug. Well he was ****ing around with it and like took way too much and combined it with the blood of a lizard. He became the Lizard King. He is my antagonist. His method of using gas to infect people has failed due to the failure and age of his tech to do it and he wound up biting people to get the nano bots in his saliva into other people's blood. The people he infects get the drug he took too and slowly begin transforming into these Lizards. The Lizards are his army and have free thought and choice until the LK decides to take it away. Oh, the LK also has other powers that he has taken from others of "The Seven." I didn't wanna go too in depth because I'm sure some people got lost in that.

yes, I do care to know, and I hope you saw my edit in that post, I was only kidding and really find that idea intruiging.
post excerpt of chapter pls. preferably one with nudity and violence. it sounds pretty damn cool, and I might just steal it for my ow--- ....

oooown bedtime story for my parakeet
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
yes, I do care to know, and I hope you saw my edit in that post, I'm only kidding and really find that idea intruiging.
post excerpt of chapter pls. preferably one with nudity and violence.

Haha I will try to find one of the more actiony scenes in it. No nudity though......yet

-He took a rifle butt to the face. Everything went blurred for a second. Then a fist was driven into his stomach, knocking his air out. Henry fell to the ground. He felt his power return to him. He grabbed one of his attacker’s and sent a very strong bolt of electricity through the man’s heart, trying to direct it to his heart but he was terribly inaccurate in his current situation.
-Henry became a conduit for electricity and his white hair stood up. His eyes, dead and blind in appearance only, had a fierce look to them. The man he had grabbed started convulsing fiercely, he appeared to be seizing and he bit his tongue off in terrible muscle spasms. Blood gushed out of his mouth as the man bled to death from where his tongue used to be.

It doesn't let you indent so pretend this "-" is an indention.
Sex scene!!!! One woman, 5 lizard men!!!!
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Quote by tayroar
Haha I will try to find one of the more actiony scenes in it. No nudity though......yet

-He took a rifle butt to the face. Everything went blurred for a second. Then a fist was driven into his stomach, knocking his air out. Henry fell to the ground. He felt his power return to him. He grabbed one of his attackers and sent a very strong bolt of electricity through the man’s heart, trying to direct it to his heart but he was terribly inaccurate in his current situation.

I'm a grammar nazi and what is this?
Quote by Monolith295
Sex scene!!!! One woman, 5 lizard men!!!!

Wow chicka wow wow, oh and before you ask I did get the name for The Lizard King from Jim Morrison, but the character is completely original.

Quote by soulflyV
I'm a grammar nazi and what is this?

It's a rough draft. I know how to properly write, I just haven't edited. As I'm writing I get way too into it and stop paying attention. I edit after I'm through. If I stopped all the time I wouldn't be able to get through it. I do some weird ****. Like one time I put hear instead of here, and I occasionally just completely skip a word.
Quote by CoreysMonster
apology accepted.

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Oh, if you guys need a set up. Henry is the protagonist and he had been ambushed by mercenaries trying to capture him. He has electrical powers but his powers come from having too many electrons and the mercenaries like neutralized his charge. Well Henry has to charge up if that happens to him. I know the science all sounds wrong and dumb, but it's fiction.
Quote by zackR

Now, now, let us all get along. He was kidding. Did that occur to you?
Last edited by lostevil at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by lostevil
Now, now, let us all get along. He was kidding Did that occur to you?

They've both been kidding so much that I'm confused into a giant cluster**** of kidding.
Quote by tayroar
Oh, if you guys need a set up. Henry is the protagonist and he had been ambushed by mercenaries trying to capture him. He has electrical powers but his powers come from having too many electrons and the mercenaries like neutralized his charge. Well Henry has to charge up if that happens to him. I know the science all sounds wrong and dumb, but it's fiction.

yup. and yes, it's fiction, but you at least to have a plausible explanation that's more than just "he has too many electrons", or else it just sounds really stupid and lazy.
Page 1 of 2