Page 1 of 3
Tell me if you guys think it's dickish not to tip in this situation:

There's a nice Mexican restaurant (Not amazing nice, but it's not like it has napkin dispensers and paper towels), so I ordered some food for me to pick up on the phone. I get there, and the waiter gets up, my food is on the counter ready, and he hands me the receipt. I pay with exact change and leave.

Should I tip for this if I'm ordering over the phone to go and I pick it up? Since for some of you, your answer might depend on what kind of restaurant, think of it as about as nice as an Applebee's.

I'm just wondering because sometimes I feel bad because waiters make most of their money from tips.
I wouldn't tip in that situation, as he didn't really do anything to serve you.

One time I was writing a piece on being a hero, and I was saying how you can be a hero in small ways including "Tipping the waitress with three kids that's barely scraping by."

It was then I realized I forgot to tip the waitress at the diner I ate at that night.

!!
Last edited by Tire Me. at Aug 28, 2009,
I don't agree with tipping in general. I'm paying you extra for doing your job?
Tips are made from them serving you while you dine in. Services such as asking you if every is alright with your meal, refilling your drinks, and being responsive are tip-rewarding acts.
Quote by Korosu

you wouldn't think that if you were a waiter making like 2 bucks an hour.
I'm a real cool kid.
Mexican tipping is almost as much fun as cow tipping.
Oh wrong subject.

No man you're not being a dick. I don't tip for carry out
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Korosu

Because living off of $3 an hour is already too much.

Quote by Zaphikh

(Invalid img)
LOL!! So much win
Balls.
What's holding you back? You apparently like their service and you feel generous. Go ahead and do it, you'll make someone's day better.

EDIT: Oh yea. You don't have to tip, but you seem willing to be generous, so go with it.
Last edited by CaMacKid at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by Korosu

they gett payed less, so the tipping is giving them the money they actually deserve, and aren't getting in a paycheck.
Quote by Zaphikh

see this? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.
Yeah you dont tip on take out, only eating in, delivery, and strippers get tips
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
i wouldn't tip in that situation because they weren't serving you at a table in there restaraunt. they just stood there and when you came in gave you the food, instead of actually having to carry it to you at the table and doing whatever else to serve you.
Quote by The Lock

Well where I am the minimum wage is 9.50 now so I doubt the waiter makes 2 bucks an hour

On Topic:

I wouldn't tip 'cause as its been said the waiter in this situation didn't really do anything
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
meh, if you're ordering take out, in general, don't tip, because the waiters did nothing
this...

you do realize that they get paid very little in comparison to everyone else right? the tip isnt meant to just give them extra money just cause they work. its meant as a bonus, "hey you did a good job. kept the table cleared and kept my drink filled, heres a little extra." its courtesy...
You can, but it wouldn't be frowned upon if you didn't. I worked at a restaurant where we offered that order and pickup service, and you didn't have to tip if you picked up.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Rock? Anyone
Well where I am the minimum wage is 9.50 now so I doubt the waiter makes 2 bucks an hour

Ok, SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE:

Waiters generally do not make minimum wage. Businesses get away with this because of the fact that if "tips" are included in a portion of the wage, you can pay them less. I got paid a little more than 3 dollars an hour when I was a waiter, the rest being entirely dependent on my tips.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by JoshXXXXX
see this? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

"Whatever. Just throw in your dollar, and let's move.
See what I'm dealing with here Infants.
I'm fuckin' dealin with infants."

Ehhhh..... That's a toughie.

With your, "Imagine it's Applebee's" example, then no. I wouldn't.

But if it's a smaller place, and the person you pick up from also MADE the food, then, yes, I would tip.
Quote by Dreadnought
Ok, SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE:

Waiters generally do not make minimum wage. Businesses get away with this because of the fact that if "tips" are included in a portion of the wage, you can pay them less. I got paid a little more than 3 dollars an hour when I was a waiter, the rest being entirely dependent on my tips.

+1

Nothing but hard boiled truth.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Aug 28, 2009,
No, I wouldn't tip in this situation. This is like tipping the person who gives you your food at McDonald's
Yeah, I don't tip on takeout. I had lunch at an Indian restaurant today and I felt terrible because the waiter was really nice but I didn't have any change to tip him with and they didn't have change either. He said it was fine and to not worry about it but I still feel kind of bad for the guy.
No I wouldn't tip on take out because the people who cook make minimum wage..who the hell is the tip going to...
I don't tip when I order out. I live in a rather small area though, it might be different in larger cities.
Delivery man - Tip if nice person
Sitting in - Tip if nice person
Picking up food - no
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
No, you really don't have to tip on pick up orders. If you eat in or get a delivery then you should tip. I deliver food and it really bothers me when I drive a number of miles to someone's house and bring their food to their door while being pretty nice (in most cases) and then they give me nothing or close to it.

/endrant
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah
Quote by sgany
Delivery man - Tip if nice person
Sitting in - Tip if nice person
Picking up food - no

Lol ironic you posted that at the same time I posted pretty much the same thought!

I'm that nice guy!
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah
Don't tip if you are picking it up. The guy handing you your food likely did nothing to prepare it. At least not at an Applebees type of restaurant.

But if it is a smaller place that you frequent and they have a tip jar it would be nice to give them a dollar or so. Sort of like saying thanks since you are a loyal customer.

I go to this Chinese restaurant near my house about twice a month. I call and order and then go pick it up usually. They have a tip jar on the counter so I usually give them a dollar since I go there a lot and their food is always good. Plus all the people that work there help in making the food so I feel a small tip is worth it.
Hum, I work in a restaurant. Call in orders are picked up at the front desk and customers almost never tip. Sometimes the customers will call and ask us to bring the food out to there car. I usually get a tip for that. In your case, I would say it's ok not to tip but you can if you want. It would be appreciated .
Quote by The Lock

Wow, America must really suck dick. Minimum wage in canada is $9.30.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
To anyone that's talking about minimum wages..... irrelevant. Servers have lower minimum wages. In Pennsylvania minimum wage is 7.25, but servers get 2 something.
Quote by V.U.K

Wow, you must be stupid, because, as already mentioned above, waiters don't make minimum wage.
Quote by V.U.K

Minimum wage here is $7.25 though some states are higher, but restaurants are allowed to pay waiters/waitresses less. There is an actual minimum wage for them that is independent of the regular minimum wage.

This is taken from the US Department of Labor:

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, tipped employees are individuals engaged in occupations in which they customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips. The employer may consider tips as part of wages, but the employer must pay at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.

An employer may credit a portion of a tipped employee's tips against the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. An employer must pay at least $2.13 per hour. However, if an employee's tips combined with the employer's wage of $2.13 per hour do not equal the hourly minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference.
Quote by V.U.K

Read Dreadnought's post farther up on this page.

edit: or read everything else that's been said to you.
Last edited by Masamune at Aug 28, 2009,
I wouldn't really know, as in Australia tipping is rare. Everyone has the same minimum wage, so we don't usually tip.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Page 1 of 3