I started to put in album covers in all of my songs because it looks a lot nicer and blah, but 1/10 way through, I realized how much memory it might take up. So I stop and tried syncing it. Then this orange bar (represents "Other") takes up 1 GB. So obviously i thought it was the pics and I erased all the album covers I put on each song.
Then I go back and try syncing again to get rid of that orange bar, and I can't. Wtf?? So Now I have this 1 Gigabyte of nothingness taking over my iPod which only has 4 to begin with. Not to mention, I had to erase 400mb's of vids I had to keep all my songs

Anyone know what this orange bar might be and how I might be able to rid of it?
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a factory-reset option sorta thing on iTunes? Try that, maybe it'll empty it out.
The software itself takes up space.

My 30 gig Ipod only has 27ish free gigs on it.

This is why you don't get the full amount of free space on a comp, the OS takes up space as well. Same concept.
Have you bought any games for it?
Sending a dummy to my God.

My 16GB iPod only has about 14 or 15GB of actual free space. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get rid of the 1GB "Other" thing, as you can't exactly put "Other" stuff on an Ipod - only songs, pics, vids and games, and they all show up on the bar as what they are, not "Other".
Quote by Guitarfreak777
The software itself takes up space.

My 30 gig Ipod only has 27ish free gigs on it.

This is why you don't get the full amount of free space on a comp, the OS takes up space as well. Same concept.

This, I'm guessing, but 1gb seems like a lot of extra space.
Trying erasing the whole thing if you can, and putting it back on.

Also, try the iPod thread. I'm sure they'll be more helpful than us.
Yeah I know about the software itself taking up space. I had my iPod for around an year now and I think it has to do something with what I did while putting in the album artworks. That's why even after I was done deleting the pics I put in I still couldn't sync it because it was telling me I didn't have enough memory, which is why I had to erase the vids so I could keep all of my songs instead of losing nearly 100 of them.

The reset doesn't work for me..
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
Yeah I know about the software itself taking up space. I had my iPod for around an year now and I think it has to do something with what I did while putting in the album artworks. That's why even after I was done deleting the pics I put in I still couldn't sync it because it was telling me I didn't have enough memory, which is why I had to erase the vids so I could keep all of my songs instead of losing nearly 100 of them.

The reset doesn't work for me..

Okay well sounds like you are better off connecting it to a comp and searching through the device that way to delete the extra files.
i think i have the same ipod as you do. the other info might just be what's necessary to have the ipod running. the one i have tells me the name and **** of the song so that might be it. you can't erase that.
Apple lols at your predicament.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Take it to an Apple genius brah. They fixed mine after it went through a washing machine. Sadly, a week later the same thing happened and it cracked the casing in half.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
When I first bought my 2 gig nano, it had 1.80 gig of useable memory. It pissed me off.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
IGNORE EVERYTHING ANYONE ELSE HAS SAID. They don't know what they're talking about. I have had this happen to me before on my iPod . It's a software malfunction. What you should do is take the iPod to the Apple Store and have them repair the iPod or give you a new one (assuming you have warranty). Otherwise, restore your iPod to the default settings on iTunes and it MIGHT fix itself.
Lies.

Hardrives cannot be made precisely to a specific number of gigs, my 80g ipod only has 70 some gigs of free space.

Also, the devices they use to rate the amount of gigs is different than the gigs everyone else uses, so it changes the value.
If you go to your Itunes, then click your little ipod thing, marked whatever you named your Ipod, it should say something aout returning this to factory defaults. This is how it is with my new nano, then you just wait for it to completly resinc. This should work?
I had to do this when I unplugged it while it was syncing once, and it made my songs not work. Lame
You really shouldn't have a gig of album art. The average cover is what, 2-15kb? If each was 10 KB each, you'd need 10,000 photos.
Part of that is the OS, the files needed to process information, and other stuff.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
the fact that a product has less space than it looks like when advertised is due to the fact that since the giga prefix means 1000000000 a gigabyte can be said to be equal to 1000000000 bytes. a product with 4000000000 bytes of space can be advertised as having 4 gigabytes of space because of this.

when it comes to computer memory a gigabyte is actually 1073741824 bytes. this means that a product that's advertised as being 4 gigabytes has 4 billion bytes. how ever 4 billion bytes is less than 4 gigabytes when it comes to computer memory.

edit: but this has nothing to do with that extra bit of space taken up, that's just to clarify what other people have been saying.

from the sounds of it it's a software malfunction. i'd recommend plugging it in and using itunes to restore it to the factory settings, update the software and then put all of your music back on. this will most likely fix the problem.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Last edited by arizonagt at Aug 28, 2009,