If you're like me, there are some amps that people generally like or even rave about that you won't like. So I thought let's start a thread about highly rated gear that you don't like or that doesn't suit your style.

For me:

Mesa Rectifier Series
I listen to other people play them, and I most often like it, but when I do play it, even after extensive EQing, I can't seem to get a good sound out of it (I own the Rectoverb). I'm sure they sound better with 7 strings, drop tunings and open string chords.
I don't like-

Tiny Terrors- Idunno why they get alot of hype, because they're not that great. The drive is a bit muddy and not enough for metal. If I were to buy an amp for $600 I'd make sure it at least had 3 band EQ and an FX loop. The cabs are good though.....

Mesa Triple Rectifiers- I just can't get a pleasing tone out of it.... even after spending an hour fiddling with the knobs.

Peavey Vyper- I was expecting better from this UG endorsed amp...... All the amp models were really buzzy and sounded terrible. I guess I'd still get it over a Spider......

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
VHT (or Fryette...whatever) Pitbull...I hear such great things about it, but every time I play it it just sounds like an average solid state amp no matter how i tweak the graphic eq or anything
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Vox Valvetronix VT series- Just isn't my thing. Perhaps it was because the store gave me a Yamaha Strat as a test guitar, but the amp models were not very good.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Peavey Vypyr: Sounded awful on the majority of channels, and died withing 20 minutes of play, twice on two different amps.

Blackstar HT5 : I played it, and it didn't blow me away. The tones were usable, but headroom was non existent (well, it's only 5 Watts.) Personally, I could do alot better with $400.
Quote by Business
If you're like me, there are some amps that people generally like or even rave about that you won't like. So I thought let's start a thread about highly rated gear that you don't like or that doesn't suit your style.

For me:

Mesa Rectifier Series
I listen to other people play them, and I most often like it, but when I do play it, even after extensive EQing, I can't seem to get a good sound out of it (I own the Rectoverb). I'm sure they sound better with 7 strings, drop tunings and open string chords.

I've played the Single Rect b4. It sounded amazing with my Jackson King V with EMG 81/60. It had 12 gauge strings tuned to C, so that is probably why i like it so much. When i played it on my RM80, it sounded 100X better than when it had 10's tuned to D. That was with the 1087 module.

As far as popular amps i don't like......haven't had enough experience with amps to say anything. The only amps i've played that are worth mentioning are the Sinlge Rect and RM80, both of which sound amazing to my ears.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
mesa boogie rectifiers are a bit underwhelming, i wanted one forever too, glad i didn't get one.

hughes and ketner triamp- great amp. just... dunno. it's not me at all. i think it may just do too much for me to appreciate. but that being said, we really spent time on changing tubes in it and got it to a point where even i would play with it.

black heart - i played the 15 watt one. just didn't dig on it. i was playing it through a mesa 2x12 and i don't like mesa cabs, so that might be why. i do love my tiny terror, so i was expecting to like this amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
5150-just went there
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
I dont like Orange amps

The sound is definatly great...but I could never see myself playing with a bright orange amplifier. I'm not a slipknot fan, but the "badass image of mick thompson with a badass mask thats more evil than Hannibal's" is completely ruined by his flamboyant bright orange half stack beside him

personal opinion only
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Tiny Terror and Vypyr fo sho. The Tiny Terror is muddy as hell and the Vypyr just flat out sucked. I don't like the Egnater Tourmaster as well but tons of people I know love them. The Peavey 5150/6505 isn't all that great unless you play hardcore or the like. I don't like the Windsor at all unless you have a good cab with speakers that are very round in the highs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by chuckmehh
VHT (or Fryette...whatever) Pitbull...I hear such great things about it, but every time I play it it just sounds like an average solid state amp no matter how i tweak the graphic eq or anything

My Pittbull UltraLead is the most responsive, organic, 3-D textured amp I've ever played. Don't feel bad bro. They're aimed at good players.
Quote by BobDetroit
My Pittbull UltraLead is the most responsive, organic, 3-D textured amp I've ever played. Don't feel bad bro. They're aimed at good players.

actually amps are just personal preferences. There is no amp that only sounds good to "good players." I said I didn't care for the sound of the VHT pitbull. That's it. Have you even heard me play for that matter?
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Diezel Herbert and VH4. Next to Fryette Pittbull UL's and CLX's, these amps sound so loose and fizzy.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain