Hey can someone explain the differences between those 3 things. I thought an
LP was a full album. EP was a shorter one. And a demo is basically a collection of your first couple recordings. My buddy says EP is longer than LP... can someone explain?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
Demo: 1-3 songs

EP: 4-6 songs

LP: full album
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
An extended play (EP) is a vinyl record, CD, or music download which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as an LP.

From Wiki.
Quote by Erik_Aero
An extended play (EP) is a vinyl record, CD, or music download which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as an LP.

From Wiki.

and an LP is a long play same along those same formats

and a demo cd is whatever you want it to be
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
spank you all
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
lps are full length albums.

eps are in between single and lps usually 4-5 songs

and demos can range in length but are usually not professionally recorded. as the name "demo" suggests its used to sample a new bands sound to promoters, venues, and new fans.
"Long play"
"Extended play single"

tell your friend he is thinking of VIDEO TAPES,
which follow the system, "SP" then "LP" then "SLP / EP"
(Standard Play, Long Play, Super Long Play / Extended Play)

I had to go over this for literally an hour with somebody because they didn't understand that two different mediums can use the same lettering, but those letters mean different things.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Demo: usually 2 or 3 songs

EP: Usually up to 8 songs

LP: 9+ songs
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
-LP is a type of record people, like a 45 or 78...
-EP is an abbreviation for Extended Play, but it refers to a groups debut album more-or-less
-A demo is a collection of tracks that aren't of good enough quality to sell, but something that can be given to gig organizers to show them what your group sounds like
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by EnyoAdonai
-LP is a type of record people, like a 45 or 78...
-EP is an abbreviation for Extended Play, but it refers to a groups debut album more-or-less
-A demo is a collection of tracks that aren't of good enough quality to sell, but something that can be given to gig organizers to show them what your group sounds like

bahah, this post is so bad.

Since when are there 45's that are LPs? 45's are singles. LPs are 33_1/3 and 78. EP's are kind of weird to come upon in the vinyl world, but usually are either like one side of an LP or two 45's.

A groups debut album has nothing to deal with whether it is an EP or an LP.

A demo is a "demonstration" track/album. It is practice/rough. Demos could have better recording quality than an album if you wanted to record them that way.
Now say his name.....
I think there is not concrete rule. It depends on how they make it and with how much support and such.

A demo is going to be a very small number of VERY low quality recordings.

An EP will be a small-ish number of songs that can have good quality, but might just be mediocre. Could even be small, but it's by at least a pretty well-recognized band, maybe not HUGE, but it's sort of like a sampling.

An LP is a legit release.
I remember the Mars Volta saying they had to split up one of their albums into more songs (probably FTM), or else the label would only consider it an EP and they would still owe them an LP
Quote by lordofthefood1
bahah, this post is so bad.

Since when are there 45's that are LPs? 45's are singles. LPs are 33_1/3 and 78. EP's are kind of weird to come upon in the vinyl world, but usually are either like one side of an LP or two 45's.

A groups debut album has nothing to deal with whether it is an EP or an LP.

A demo is a "demonstration" track/album. It is practice/rough. Demos could have better recording quality than an album if you wanted to record them that way.

I never said that an LP was a 45, I said that it is a type of record... like a 45. I should have made that clearer though.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by Msu_Man04
Not exactly. Weren't some early Metallica LPs 8 songs? Like Master of Puppets?

I can't confirm that fact, but yeah.

Also, Reign In Blood is under 30 minutes, yet it is technically an LP.

Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Fact: If a band has an EP, 7 times out of 10 it is better than anything they will ever release.

Holiday EP - Brand New
Magical Mystery Tour (double EP) - The Beatles
Pizza - HORSE The Band.

perhaps since I only named three I'm in the clear

(though on the other hand..
Saosin EP -
Phantom On The Horizon - The Fall of Troy
Subterranean - In Flames
Safety Second, Body Last - The Locust (though is anything of theirs really an LP?)
Prepare to Be Wrong - Straylight Run
Air Disk - Thrice)

well, I know you're not 100% serious so bleh

foodit:
Quote by EnyoAdonai
I never said that an LP was a 45, I said that it is a type of record... like a 45. I should have made that clearer though.

well it doesn't matter because CD albums are still LPs
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Aug 29, 2009,
EP, LP, 45 were all just terms about how many songs would fit on a piece of plastic. Today You could do a virtual CD single with bonus material call it an EP, do a full length CD call it an LP, it's all whatever you want to call it because it's meaning is different today than years ago. Demo is a different story and the word still has legal meaning ( im not an attorney by the way).

Demo does not mean sub standard recording by any means, and bands do sell their demos. it's meaning is of a legal nature.. If you signed a producers contract with Phil Spector (pre- prison) and hes was going to shop your deal to A&R's I guarantee you his demo would be top notch, and you will see the word DEMO in the contract.

When you sell your EP LP whatever you want to call it, and you don't want to admit it's a demo your published,,, HURAY, you just released it yourself your an indie. Well there is another side of the coin.

Until your songs are published they are Unpublished works and your copyrights have no end, the clock does not start clicking until you publish (Sell) your works, as soon as you publish your works (release for sale to public) anyone can use your songs and re record them so long as you receive your royalty, you cannot prevent them.

If you sell your Demo, who cares, it's still unpublished works and nobody else like a big star can use your song without your permission, a demo can be a good thing.

One studio owner I know well tells his clients that he doesn't do Demo's because that usually means bad recording, he tells clients all of his recordings are LP or EP's because they are radio quality.. There are bad, good, and great EP's Lp's, CD's ,MP3's, Demo's and whatever else comes along or fades away like the LP's, 45's and EP's.