I'm starting to record some songs and I don't have a lot of good equipment. What do you think I can get for $200 that i will need to get good recording quality. I have been looking into a Line 6 POD Studio UX1 Audio Interface
that looks pretty good. i'm not a huge fan of line 6, but i've heard good things about those.
should be good enough to get you up and running with all the modeling software and Ableton Live lite.

if you have an amp, it might be worth getting a decent mic along with that. properly miked amps sound a whole lot better than any modeling software (assuming you have a decent sounding amp). i'd look for a used sm57.
me I use a sennheiser e609 ($109) through an blue icicle usb ($41) interface. The two tracks on my profile titled 001 and trip jam were recorded with this setup into audacity. Really if you have just a bit more I've heard better things about the shure x2u. I was just in a jam financially and went for the blue.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-X2U-XLR-to-USB-Signal-Adapter/dp/B001PPX***/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1251584738&sr=1-20

I can most certainly highly recommend the mic though.
Last edited by robobond at Aug 29, 2009,
i use a a digitech rp155 with a usb cable to albeton live 7 le. but i'm thining of switching to reaper, because i can use more amp and mic vst's and drum vst's in it for 60 dollars abelton limites you to 2 vst's in the le edition. The digitech rp155 cost me 150 at the time. so its almost there. btw abelton 7 le cost me 150 but i would'nt buy it again.

Samson G-Track

Studio condenser mic and audio interface (for guitars etc) that plugs straight in via USB. Literally everything you need in a home studio, and it costs around $130. Cheaper than the Line6 and considerably more versatile.
Interface 100-200$
- Firewire = great
- USB 2.0 = great
- USB 1.X = STAY THE HELL AWAY

So make sure the interface is USB 2.0 or (if you have a firewire input) firewire.

Amp program 0$

The best amp simulators are the free ones.
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by GisleAune
Interface 100-200$
- Firewire = awesome
- USB 2.0 = great
- USB 1.X = STAY THE HELL AWAY

So make sure the interface is USB 2.0 or (if you have a firewire input) firewire.

Amp program 0$

The best amp simulators are the free ones.

fixed and +1