He doesn't have an account on UG and isn't into forums or online community or anything so I've decided to do a little research for him.

My friend owns a Dave Mustaine Signature Dean (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNTX-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=515169)

Ever since he's owned it it has ridiculous feedback and buzz to it.

The other day we tried to get rid of it. We tried raising and lowering the bridge but we got nothing. Then we tried raising and lowering the actual pickups but still nothing.

The only way we get rid of the feedback is when we touch a metal piece of the guitar like touch the strings or the exposed metal when we open the back panel of the guitar.

For this reason we seem to think it's the wiring and that it was poorly made or something.

I'm trying to express to him that the best choice of action would be to take the guitar to a tech to get it fixed but he doesn't want to waste money on something he could do himself and will only do it as a last resort.

Suggestions?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
bump
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
...tell him to take it to a tech?

You answered your own question. It's most likely due to wiring, and bad one at that. How long has he had it? Is it too late to send it to Dean to have them sort their own problems out?

Edit: I was just checking that link you pasted with your first post, and I have to say I'm a bit less surprised now, but still, even a cheap guitar shouldn't come with shoddy wiring. He did buy the guitar new, right?
Last edited by Y00p at Aug 29, 2009,
maybe a grounding issue? i don't know, but i would open it up and see if there's a loose wire around. a wire not attached to anything could be a dead giveaway that something's wrong with the wiring
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by TheBodomBullet
He doesn't have an account on UG and isn't into forums or online community or anything so I've decided to do a little research for him.

My friend owns a Dave Mustaine Signature Dean (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNTX-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=515169)

Ever since he's owned it it has ridiculous feedback and buzz to it.

The other day we tried to get rid of it. We tried raising and lowering the bridge but we got nothing. Then we tried raising and lowering the actual pickups but still nothing.

The only way we get rid of the feedback is when we touch a metal piece of the guitar like touch the strings or the exposed metal when we open the back panel of the guitar.

For this reason we seem to think it's the wiring and that it was poorly made or something.

I'm trying to express to him that the best choice of action would be to take the guitar to a tech to get it fixed but he doesn't want to waste money on something he could do himself and will only do it as a last resort.

Suggestions?
That's what's supposed to happen. It's grounded through you. (The ground wire attaches through the bridge, into the strings, through you into earth)

Unless you shield the cavities, there's nothing you can do.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
That's what's supposed to happen. It's grounded through you. (The ground wire attaches through the bridge, into the strings, through you into earth)

To a degree, maybe with a slight buzzing. But certainly not the awful feedback, as this guy describes?
Quote by Y00p
To a degree, maybe with a slight buzzing. But certainly not the awful feedback, as this guy describes?
Ridiculous is a bit subjective...However I would recommend shielding the cavities, can't do much harm.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!

Wrong.The ground wire on your guitar has come off.If it's soldered back on again it'll work fine.Just take it to a tech,get the grounding fixed and give it a decent set-up.Many guitars come out of the factory set-up terribly.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
i wouldnt whine for 300$... take it to a tech.

guitarists seem to be scared of techs/pros, ITS THEIR JOB, THEYRE PROFESSIONAL
Quote by Y00p
...tell him to take it to a tech?

You answered your own question. It's most likely due to wiring, and bad one at that. How long has he had it? Is it too late to send it to Dean to have them sort their own problems out?

Edit: I was just checking that link you pasted with your first post, and I have to say I'm a bit less surprised now, but still, even a cheap guitar shouldn't come with shoddy wiring. He did buy the guitar new, right?

Can someone explain to me what the grounding wire is and what that whole thing is about?

I'm gonna show this thread to my buddy later today to hopefully give us both some insight on what the problem might be.

Also if it is a grounding issue how much would it cost to get that fixed by a tech?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
ok there's a (ground) wire that runs to all the parts in the guitar from the jack to the bridge.

and if done correctly, it'll eliminate that hum.
(so, when the guitar is grounded properly, then there's no hum that stops when you touch metal. )

the one that stops when you ground it by touching metal.

in addition, cheaper or damaged pups will feed back when they are microphonic.

i suggest you check the easiest wires to find. verify that they are still connected.

the first one is the wire at the output jack.

open this aND see if both wires are connected.

if one seems loose that will be a problem.

in addition, swap out your guitar cable.
also, what amp are you using?

lastly, guys sometimes say Take it to a tech, when they don't have a clue how to fix it.
it's been said, so no reason for anyone else to post, with that vital info.

guitars sometimes need to be brought in, but a few simple steps can save you cash and time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 29, 2009,
Simple...... The guitar lead port has spun off at some stage in the past . The wire going to it has been resoldered on the wrong way round.

Disconect it and resolder it on the other way around...........The wire going to it is a coaxial lead... meaning that it is one wire surrounded by an earth (the wire that has no insulation)........The earth part needs to be soldered to the tag nearest the edge. The inner core wire needs to be soldered to one of the remaining tags (It'll be one of the ones nearer the center. There are only 1 or 2 others so it won't be too hard to figure out which. Just solder one and try it out.......No sound, then it's the other one .....OK?)

Had this problem with an epiphone bass my friend bought. Exact same thing. Buzzing only stopped when you touched a part of metal on the guitar. Now There aint no buzz whatsoever.
Last edited by MechMike at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
ok there's a (ground) wire that runs to all the parts in the guitar from the jack to the bridge.

and if done correctly, it'll eliminate that hum.
(so, when the guitar is grounded properly, then there's no hum that stops when you touch metal. )

the one that stops when you ground it by touching metal.

in addition, cheaper or damaged pups will feed back when they are microphonic.

i suggest you check the easiest wires to find. verify that they are still connected.

the first one is the wire at the output jack.

open this aND see if both wires are connected.

if one seems loose that will be a problem.

in addition, swap out your guitar cable.
also, what amp are you using?

lastly, guys sometimes say Take it to a tech, when they don't have a clue how to fix it.
it's been said, so no reason for anyone else to post, with that vital info.

guitars sometimes need to be brought in, but a few simple steps can save you cash and time.

I see. Very informative.

He's using a Line 6 Spider III.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
^MECH MIKE: yes, that's one possible solution. but until he takes off the jack and looks at the condition of those wires, he wont know if that's it.

before switching the wires, he can simply see which one is the ground.

it'll have the same coloring as the ground wires collected in a pool on the back of the volume pot.
that wire color should match the wire on the innermost lug on the jack pictured above.

like said, hopefully, those wires will look messed up when he checks the jack and the fix will be obvious and and easy fix, case closed.

ok, fyi, not dissing the amp, but i've been in a lot of threads where spiders feed back.

so if you have access to other amps, you'll also want to try that guitar thru them.
just to rule that out as well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 29, 2009,