i have read the faq and looked at a bunch of threads, but none of them really gave me a straight answer.

now first off, let me say i have no experience at all recording. thats why im asking for help.

i simply want to record my guitar. i would like to be able to play something and listen to it later. i do not want to add any type of effects or anything to it, it sounds the way i want it to right now. i have tried the newbie idea of putting an adapter on the cable and going from amp line out to my sound card, and of course it sounds awful.

what i can't seem to find a straight answer to is, what is ideal for just recording from my amplifier? i've seen portable recorders, things like the TASCAM DP-004 pocketstudio, and microphones and input boxes and mixers and the line 6 stuff and whatnot. i have no idea what would be best for just recording a single electric guitar, and having it sound the same as when i played it.

heres what i have:
guitar+pedals+amp (which sounds the way i want it to already; amp has line out with emulated speaker cabs)
windows based computer (w/ xfi extreme gamer soundcard)
extra instrument cables
1/4" 1/8" adapter

heres what i was looking at:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DP004-Portable-4track-Digital-Multitrack-Recorder?sku=250011
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US144-Interface-and-990991-Mic-Pack-Bundle?sku=241736

the reason i was looking at these 2 things is not because i know how good they are or because i know they can do what i want (i specifically do not know about the aforementioned qualities), but cause they are at the top of my price range and they seem to have good reviews.

for 200$ (or less) what is ideal for just recording my guitar so that i can listen to it later? should i get a mic? if so, what do i need to plug it into? will that work with my computer? should i get a portable recorder?

sorry for making another one of these threads...but i read 4 stickies, some not even from this forum, and i just could not find a proper answer.
Two main choices here:

Behringer Guitar-Link UCG102- $35
This is a simple,cheap, and quite decent USB audio interface - plug your amp's line out into it, plug the USB cable into the PC, and you're done.

Samson Q1U USB Dynamic Mic- $60
This is a USB-powered dynamic microphone - use it to mic up your guitar amp. A great choice if you've got a decent valve amp, but you don't get the 'silent recording' ability of a direct interface. Fairly pointless for modelling amps/practice amps with a line out.
^^^ No - don't get the guitar-link, it's made to plug your guitar into, not your line-out - get the UCA202 for that.

I'f you just want to record some riffs, nothing fancy, not looking for quality recording, then headphone out of amp into UCA202 is good.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
^^^ No - don't get the guitar-link, it's made to plug your guitar into, not your line-out - get the UCA202 for that.

I'f you just want to record some riffs, nothing fancy, not looking for quality recording, then headphone out of amp into UCA202 is good.

That's the interface I was originally going to suggest, but I thought the RCA cable might be an extra source of confusion. Does it have a 1/4" jack?

I'm hoping to buy one myself as a cheap portable backup interface, any good?
Quote by kyle62
That's the interface I was originally going to suggest, but I thought the RCA cable might be an extra source of confusion. Does it have a 1/4" jack?

I'm hoping to buy one myself as a cheap portable backup interface, any good?

You can just get a 1/4 > 2 RCA cable. Headphone outs output line signal (well close enough anyway) but that guitar interface is made for Hi-Z guitar signal.

I've been using one for 6 months and I still use it. I just hook it up to the tape ins/outs on my mixer. Is it good? I can't say it's really good, it doesn't work at 64-bit, 1922374...kHz, it doen't "recreate the sound of vintage analog consoles", it doesn't let you plug 15 mics into it, it just works. It records exactly what I hear, and that's what I want. If you want a simple 2-in 2-out interface then it's a steal. Just remember to download ASIO4ALL if you get it.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
i simply want to record my guitar. i would like to be able to play something and listen to it later. i do not want to add any type of effects or anything to it, it sounds the way i want it to right now. i have tried the newbie idea of putting an adapter on the cable and going from amp line out to my sound card, and of course it sounds awful.

Amp's line outs does always suck and sounds like it's not being powered by a power amp and gone through a cabinet/speaker.

You can solve it by using IRs and a IR convolver (loader)

check www.recabi.net for more info about that.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cakewalk-Guitar-Tracks-Pro-Version-4?sku=620515

this is the easiest software i've ever used. all you need is a mic plugged directily into you computer. if you really start getting into it, you can look at mic pre-amps, bigger soundcards, etc. i've done a lot of recording, and it doesn't get any simpler than this.
Last edited by mikesmith1972 at Aug 29, 2009,
i'm with kyle62 i like the behrenger idea the most but i don't have experience with or have an amp in fact i think i will go buy the behringer guitar interface myself...

OH i have a digitech rp155 that works sort of like the behrienger idea. i know it works but i'd like to try the behringer for that kind of money. mine cost 150.
Quote by Union Of V

well i kind of do want quality. i want it to sound the same way it did when i played it through the amp. if its not good quality won't it not sound as good

would that mic be better quality then that UCA202? if the UCA202 is better, whats all that about RCA cables and 1/4" converters?

i have a blackstar ht5 combo. its a good tube amp, its pretty much designed for recording. it has emulated 1x12 and 4x12 speaker cabinets on the line out.

i am slightly confused about all that software...since i specifically do not want to change my sound with all those virtual stompboxes on the computer, would the software even be useful to me?

and i just gave my rp250 to my friend not even a week ago...
Quote by SpeedLives
well i kind of do want quality. i want it to sound the same way it did when i played it through the amp. if its not good quality won't it not sound as good

would that mic be better quality then that UCA202? if the UCA202 is better, whats all that about RCA cables and 1/4" converters?

i have a blackstar ht5 combo. its a good tube amp, its pretty much designed for recording. it has emulated 1x12 and 4x12 speaker cabinets on the line out.

I suggest the mic then, to get the full benefit of the HT-5's valve power section.
Quote by SpeedLives

i am slightly confused about all that software...since i specifically do not want to change my sound with all those virtual stompboxes on the computer, would the software even be useful to me?

The UCA202 is an interface, it's used to get the sound into your computer. You'll need an interface whether you mic it or not.

I agree with Kyle, the blackstar would sound sweet mic'd. Lets say SM57 + Blue Icicle = ~$160.

As for software, if you just want to record go with the free Audacity. If you want to write a song and multi-track etc. get Reaper for $60.
Quote by Tombe
alrighty, i saw plenty of mention of that sm57 so im not worried about that.

however, the reviews of that blue icicle on musiciansfriend have me slightly skeptical. have you used it yourself? for 60$ i dont want it to break on me. it could have just been abuse/faulty units on the part of the people that had problems with it i suppose, but i'd like some assurance if possible.

edit2: nevermind that

thanks for all the help so far XD

i feel like im close to recording something XD
Last edited by SpeedLives at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by SpeedLives
however, the reviews of that blue icicle on musiciansfriend have me slightly skeptical. have you used it yourself? for 60$ i dont want it to break on me. it could have just been abuse/faulty units on the part of the people that had problems with it i suppose, but i'd like some assurance if possible.

A piece of advice: Never EVER believe the reviews on Musician's Friend. They tend to be written by angry and impatient people who have either had a product break and not bother returning it, or don't know how to use the product and so claim it's crap.

Harmony Central's a better place for reviews. While they don't have anything on the Icicle, I've heard some compliments, and Blue are well known for offering seriously good products whatever the price.
Quote by Tombe
alright, ill take your word for it. and ill buy the 3 year deal with it from MF XD

i have 1 final question...with the microphone, am i going to need some kind of holder or stand? or am i supposed to dangle it in front of the amp put it on the floor 0.0?
Last edited by SpeedLives at Sep 1, 2009,
Yes, a stand is needed, unless you have some imaginitive recession-style way of holding it... If you think you'll ever be recording acoustic guitar or even vocals with it get a full-size stand, otherwise I'd get one of those miniature amp stands.
Quote by Tombe
Just stay away from Behringer...
Guitars:
ESP Kirk Hammet KH-2 (The real deal )
Gibson 1979 L.E. Explorer
Gibson SG Standard - FOR SALE
ESP LTD DJ-600 - FOR SALE
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King Signature Half Stack
Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
Quote by ESPearl
Just stay away from Behringer...

That was simply the most pointless comment ever. Their guitar stuff is crap, but overall they make decent recording products for literally half the price of the competition, and for that they deserve recognition. Most of the people who hate behringer's guts admit themselves they haven't tried any of their gear out.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
That was simply the most pointless comment ever. Their guitar stuff is crap, but overall they make decent recording products for literally half the price of the competition, and for that they deserve recognition. Most of the people who hate behringer's guts admit themselves they haven't tried any of their gear out.

yea ive never tried out their recording stuff, but from what ive heard it seems to actually be quite decent. their amps however ive heard are trash. they lie about the wattage,they break easily, and the tone is garbage. its just strange for them to have such crappy amps and decent audio equipment (alhtough im sure its still not *great*)
Quote by MetalBass 77
yea ive never tried out their recording stuff, but from what ive heard it seems to actually be quite decent. their amps however ive heard are trash. they lie about the wattage,they break easily, and the tone is garbage. its just strange for them to have such crappy amps and decent audio equipment (alhtough im sure its still not *great*)

Read the forum title. "Riffs And Recordings".
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
Read the forum title. "Riffs And Recordings".

ummmm, yes i know what this section is called. i was stating thats its strange for a company to have utter s*** in one department then pretty decent in another. I was merely comparing their amps to their audio equipment. so to quote yourself.

"That was simply the most pointless comment ever"
I'm not going to argue, just making a comment on a company's amps in a forum that has nothing to do with amps is pointless.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
I'm not going to argue, just making a comment on a company's amps in a forum that has nothing to do with amps is pointless.

i dont want to make this a big thing, but can you even read??? i was merely comparing that their amps are complete garbage, while they're audio equipment (recording related) is pretty decent. its just an observation and there was no point in your comment. and yes amps could be related because that has to do with the sound thats being recorded.
you yourself even said their guitar stuff is crap. this forum isnt about guitars is it?? seriously, clean up your f***ing attitude.
MetalBass, complete apologies. When you replied to my reply to ESPearl, I *did not read* the usernames and assumed you were the same person. Complete apologies
Quote by Tombe