Well I've been looking for a semi hollow guitar as my first electric after playing acoustic for a good amount of time, and I spotted the PRS SE custom semi hollow. Now I honestly called many music stores and have been to my guitar center with no hope in finding the guitar, but as of now I've played the Ibanez As73 and loved it. Now I don't really know about soapbar pickups, and I want something good for jazz but still versatile enough to rock out to metallica. The problem here is, I will have to order it from the guitarcenter website, and then if I don't like it going back through the trouble of return shipping it and such. I honestly have no idea about the pickups or the sound I will get out of them, so I'm looking for information about them. Also I've been looking at the Ibanez AJD91, very similar to the PRS, but has humbuckers. I'm still in search of that guitar as well to try it out. The PRS is on sale right now, and that's why I really want information on it, because I don't want the price to slip away and find out it's a great guitar.
P90s are going to give you amazing cleans, and great semi-gain tones. BUT not so great with the metallica. they'll hum to all hell with too much distortion, and i think it would be especially bad in a semi-hollow. p90s and semi-hollows hum on their own, so i can only imagine what they would do together...

for jazz? absolutely, you wouldn't be disappointed in the least. the SE Soapbar was a great guitar when i had mine, and i think the semi hollow looks awesome (especially the cool f-hole)
but metallica? probably not.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I guess I'm in the more experimental stage, I'm not really that crazy about metal, but it woulda been nice if it could do it. I felt the Ibanez handled distortion well enough for me, but the thing that I'm concerned about is the soapbar pickups, if only the damn same guitar with humbuckers was on sale as well. Does anyone know about the Ibanez AJD91? It seems fairly new but it's very appealing to me so far.
WAIT. haha i think it is available with humbuckers. check these out, sorry if the links don't work, but they should.

insanely awesome SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sI06734/

insanely awesome SE Custom Semi-Hollow
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sJ01883/

EDIT: i realized you said if it were on sale, not if it existed. if you can find a good price on the humbuckers one i say go for it, i had an SE Soapbar II a while ago and it was an amazing little guitar.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 29, 2009,
Yeah the reason I'm really looking at it is because it's on sale, but I want to find out if it's worth buying offline and trying it out, and then going through the trouble of shipping it back if i don't like it. Generally I'm still trying to find that AJD91, and if it's impossible to find, I'll go back to the AS73, which is essentially a Epiphone Dot but in my opinion a better neck.