Ok

I know some scales and I know how to stay in Key, but I'm not quite sure how to make a solo.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how??
the best way to learn how to solo is to learn guitar solos from your favorite guitar players. It's difficult to put into words so the best way to do it is to learn how other people do it.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Learn a few simple guitar solos, then start noodling around against backing tracks or songs. It sounds frustrating, but after a while you'll really start to develop your own feel and phrasing will come to you.

EDIT: Also, know your scale positions in different parts of the neck. If you're into emotional soloing this is especially important because hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides can sound so different when played outside the confines of "the box".
Last edited by Guitarfailwin at Aug 29, 2009,
At it's simplest, a guitar solo is another melody line on top of the song. The other melody line is the vocal melody (ie. what the singer sings). You can choose to replicate the vocal melody line on the guitar as the solo if you wish (eg. Nirvana - Come as You Are/Smells Like Teen Spirit and lots of Coldplay) or create your own melody.

If you're struggling for ideas, you can replicate the vocal line. Another easy way to make a solo is to sing it on top of the chord structure, record and learn on the guitar, which also works.

In the end it's a matter of practice, you have the techniques down but it's time to apply them. Good luck!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You make a solo by putting your guitar down, listening to a backing track and thinking of a melody to go with it. Forget scales and everything, just try to think up something that sounds good. Provided you listen to enough music I can guarantee you that whatever you think up will either be in the major or minor scale and will be in key. Those intervals are practically hardwired into your brain, you're conditioned to "expect" music to sound like that so it follows that if you try and make music it'll be in the form you're most accustomed to. Once you've got something sing it and record it so you know what it sounds like and have a reference, THEN try to work it out on your guitar.

You have to get in the habit of thinking musically, if you can't make first music without your guitar you'll never be able to make it with one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 29, 2009,