Ok, so I've been learning some Lamb of God lately and they use lots of pinches on the lower strings. But, I can't really get them to sound right on the lower E string.
Does this have to do with my amp or guitar?
I have a Canvas (like the most unknown brand) and I play on a Peavey Vypyr 15.
I've been told it's most likely the guitar and I really need a new one, but I wanna hear some of your opinions.
Jump in my fire, I'm far beyond driven.

amp--- Peavey Vypyr 15 (fucking love it)
it's your technique, just keep practicing it and you'll be hitting them in no time. also each string has a different sweet spot where the pinch harmonic is going to sound the best make sure you find out where the sweet spot is.
What sort of guitar do you have, and what sort of pickups are on it? Mostly it'll be due to technique, but having a set of humbuckers will help bring out the really scary harmonics.
Quote by Garlic Owl
it's your technique, just keep practicing it and you'll be hitting them in no time. also each string has a different sweet spot where the pinch harmonic is going to sound the best make sure you find out where the sweet spot is.

actually, all the strings have "sweet spots" more properly known as nodes in the same place but it changes based on the string length when you fret it

but just keep trying, for me it's easier to hit them on the thicker strings but harder to make them sound right(not wonky) and the other way around with the lighter strings

edit: assuming you cant buy anything new be sure to have the tone all the way up on your guitar and plenty of highs on the amp and crank gain, this will help them stand out when practicing
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 29, 2009,
Cool cool, thanks.
Yeah, I turned the mid and high up and I can get it to sound a lil better, I just gotta work at it. I guess when I learned pinching I just used em on the higher strings and didn't bother with the lower ones
Jump in my fire, I'm far beyond driven.

amp--- Peavey Vypyr 15 (fucking love it)
Strange, I can hit the lower strings better than the high ones
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I have a super easy harmonic on the two lower strings. It works best on the 3rd Frets. Practice the traditional methods, but this one will get you by just fine for now.
I must warn you that its barely more than a one trick pony.

I call it the *Killswitch Engaged* Harmonic. Best example.

You can get about 4-5 different pitches on 3rd fret.

You pick the string normally. You dont use any different picking technique at all.

You bend the string without touching the fretboard and shake the ****e out of it.
It can make contact with the metal frets but not the wood. You simply add vibrato
in a lateral motion. Dont press down.

Once the Harmonic starts you can hit the fret board. But if you dont start the harmonic without touching the fretboard..it will smother out.

If you think of the string as a box, we press down on the top to fret. Dont do that. You grab the side that is closest to you and you vibrato in a motion that makes the string move parallel to the fret board.

You pick and grab the string a split second later. I usually use 56's but on my G-400 with Emg 81/85 they ring out just fine with 48's.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by justinb904
actually, all the strings have "sweet spots" more properly known as nodes in the same place but it changes based on the string length when you fret it

but just keep trying, for me it's easier to hit them on the thicker strings but harder to make them sound right(not wonky) and the other way around with the lighter strings

edit: assuming you cant buy anything new be sure to have the tone all the way up on your guitar and plenty of highs on the amp and crank gain, this will help them stand out when practicing

+1, just keep experimenting where you're grazing the string with your thumb. A few millimeters can make a world of difference.
Quote by justinb904

I disagree, you should be able to hear your pinch harmonics even when your guitar is unplugged.
Just move your right hand up and down along the string until you find a nice spot. It also helps to do a really wide vibrato on the string.
Quote by Aleksi
I disagree, you should be able to hear your pinch harmonics even when your guitar is unplugged.
Just move your right hand up and down along the string until you find a nice spot. It also helps to do a really wide vibrato on the string.

agreed...im able to play pinch harmonics on acoustic guitars...and they are very audible on my electric when its unplugged...

its all technique...

watch some Zakk Wylde videos
Quote by Garlic Owl

Every note also has its own sweet spot as well.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Practice practice practice. No offense, but most people who blame it on their guitars-couldn't do it on any guitar. Try turning the treble up on your amp though. Practice until you gain control of the pinch harmonics. It's a tricky technique to pick up at first, but it's like learning to ride a bike. Once you learn it, it's second nature and can do it anytime (even if you do use them a while).

edit: and you absolutely DON'T need an amp to hear a pinch harmonic.
Last edited by FifthHorsemen at Sep 21, 2009,
try learning a song that incorporates them
not one that has one every two econds extensively to the point
where its too much but one where the person uses it once in a while

[are you dead yet - children of bodom] worked for me
You should be able to hear the actual harmonic on an acoustic but to get the lamb of god sounding harmonic you need to use lots of gain/distortion and also apply vibrato. It just takes practice to get the "pinch" part down and finding the nodes on the strings.