If I use a condenser microphone to record vocals to a track, will the microphone pick up the other tracks from the speakers?

also I would like to have a microphone for recording and practice, but at the moment I can only afford one microphone, so what kind should I get? a condenser microphone or just a basic one that I can record with and practice with?

also sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, I looked all over and couldn't find one that this seemed appropriate to post in, please let me know if there is a thread in which I could have posted this. thanks.
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
Possibly try Riffs & Recordings.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Depends on the polar pattern of the mic.
------------------
Condenser Microphobes are people who are afraid of condenser microphones- I hope this helps.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Condenser Microphobes are people who are afraid of condenser microphones- I hope this helps.

aha I knew something like this would happen as soon as I noticed the typo. I'm not very good at touch typing and the light in my study is blown

Opeth - April Ethereal
Quote by Vredesbyrd23
If I use a condenser microphone to record vocals to a track, will the microphone pick up the other tracks from the speakers?

also I would like to have a microphone for recording and practice, but at the moment I can only afford one microphone, so what kind should I get? a condenser microphone or just a basic one that I can record with and practice with?

also sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, I looked all over and couldn't find one that this seemed appropriate to post in, please let me know if there is a thread in which I could have posted this. thanks.

yes it would. condenser microphones tend to pick up all ambient noise from the surrouding area, so if you're going to be using one, make sure you're in a quiet room and you're using headphones to listen to the other tracks.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
It's usually best to record vocals (or anything for that matter) while listening through headphones. Generally, any mic is going to pick up some sound from behind, and condensers are more sensitive than other mics (although ribbons tend to be naturally bi-directional...yadda yadda yadda). I would suggest getting a good old dynamic mic for recording and practice, try a Shure SM57, they work great for vocals and instruments alike. In fact, RHCP used only SM57's and 58's on their Blood.Sugar.Sex.Magic album.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
You want both instruments and vocals? Get the shure SM-57

You want vocals only? Get the SM-58

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by jgbsmith
yes it would. condenser microphones tend to pick up all ambient noise from the surrouding area, so if you're going to be using one, make sure you're in a quiet room and you're using headphones to listen to the other tracks.

okay thank you, I think I'll go with a standard one because my house is usually pretty noisy, with my parents watching TV and my brother playing guitar upstairs and stuff, not to mention all the cars going past.

Opeth - April Ethereal
Quote by Aidy Damage

i love you for saying this.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by osXtiger
You want both instruments and vocals? Get the shure SM-57

You want vocals only? Get the SM-58

I'd recommend a Sennhieser E835 over that. To me the SM-58 sounds too thin and sterile.

EDIT: The SM-57 does even more, but it handles instruments better.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 29, 2009,