I have come to the conclusion that, of all the instruments in a band, it is the drums that define the mood of the music. They do keep the other players in time, but that's not all they do. They are the backbone of the mood that the music is trying to portray.

46 & 2 by Tool features almost no conventional drums throughout the first two minutes of the song, which gives it a kind of eerie mood (IMO). The intro to Map of the Problematiqe by Muse uses a lot of Tom-Toms and bass drums, giving it a much deeper mood. Their song Uprising drums off-beat to the heavy bassline, making it more funky. Butterflies and Hurricanes lightly but rapidly taps a cymbal, producing a feeling of suspense. A lot of songs by bands like Faker, Epicure, and Birds of Tokyo have very repetitive and typical drum progressions, giving is a much lighter mood (IMO). By typical I mean something like 'Bass-Cymbal-Snare-Cymbal-Bass' etc. (This is not necessarily a bad thing). Lars Ulrich uses a lot of bass drums, making Metallica's songs sound a lot heavier. Jeff Burrows has a style using a lot of Tom-Toms, and occasionally striking the snare, which, again, makes much deeper music.

Now imagine these songs (or drummers) with different drum styles. Notice how different they sound.

The drums are the lead instrument - they lead with timing, granted, but also mood. The other instruments simply back up what the drums are saying.

Drums are not appreciated enough. They are the centre of music.
Quick, get the tranquilisers, one of the drummers is out of the basement!

Seriously though, you could easily argue that any instrument is the real lead. I believe it's not an instrument at all, but rather that the vocalist is what makes a song. When was the last time you heard a really amazing instrumental?
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
Quote by baz249
. When was the last time you heard a really amazing instrumental?

Anything by Shawn Lane
Quote by Ibbod0
the same could be said about any instrument imo
Yes, I agree, but this is my opinion. You can choose to acknowledge it or disregard it
Quote by baz249

Seriously though, you could easily argue that any instrument is the real lead. I believe it's not an instrument at all, but rather that the vocalist is what makes a song. When was the last time you heard a really amazing instrumental?

Ever listen to any classical pieces?
I noticed something similair. I was trying to figure out a cool drumline for one of my songs, and they each gave the song a whole different feel.
Quote by baz249

There are more times where the vocals ruin the song for me than a lack of vocals ruining the song.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by Minkaro
What happens when a song has no drums?
Then it gives the song a different mood altogether
Quote by Melodic_Rocker
Ever listen to any classical pieces?

+1

I totally agree. When I grew up I was always fascinated by how Vivaldi go such intense pseudo Percussion.

IMO the Bass carries the tune. But that is because of the values I have. I grew up with Motown, Rhythm and blues , Blues and Funk. In a sense, I was disciplined to build songs on top of the bass lines. This caused me to be extremely impressed by the White stripes. I thought..

. o O ( How in the hell can a dude and a chick make that much F'n Noise!?)

TOOL is an amazing band. Every instrument..including Maynard's voice is superb.
You could single out any instrument as an example and make the same argument about what is most important and have a valid point.

TOOL is actually a great band because everything exists in a harmony. The Greatest bands have had all members shine. Even if some members are some of the best in their category..they all have their moments.

I believe that the "most important" instrument is based on your cultural and personal values.

Im not a big fan of country music, but there are amazing acoustic balads in that genre.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by baz249
When was the last time you heard a really amazing instrumental?

listening to Sunn O))) right now
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by baz249
When was the last time you heard a really amazing instrumental?

You seriously just asked that question on a guitar forum?
Quote by baz249

I roll my eyes at you sir. Because that's all that that question deserves.

But I'll give you two examples right now. Go listen to them, and recant your words: "Repent Walpurgis" by Procol Harum, and "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" by Jeff Beck.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
You could say the same thing about any instrument. They are all vital and they all contribute. Drums may determine mood for some songs, but there's no way you're going to be able to pass that statement off as a universal law.

What about bluegrass? What determines the mood in music with no drums?
^ exactly. Every instrument has a role in the mood of the music.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by eyeplayguitar
You could say the same thing about any instrument. They are all vital and they all contribute. Drums may determine mood for some songs, but there's no way you're going to be able to pass that statement off as a universal law.

Its funny. Heavy Metal and Hard Rock were Shred. That was my Universal law.

The most insane shredding I've ever heard was Bluegrass Gospel. That really Changed the way I look at music.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by eyeplayguitar

Answer
i reckon its bass that gives a song its feel
if you have a really quick bassline then it feels more uptempo and jumpy, yet if you stay on root notes for a bassline and play semibreives then itll sound calm
but of course every otherr instrument has an effect
e.g. eaking the demon by bullet for my valentine woulnt sound calm with a slow bass would it?
1, I get what you are saying, but it is no one instrument that defines the feel of the music. Especially in a good band each and every single on of the instruments adds their own element to the overall feel, through the use of melody and rhythm. Overall I would say the drums define the context in which the other instruments and their melodies are taken.

Say you have a typical metal drum beat with a snare on every beat and double kick filling in with semiquavers, if you played a major melody over this drum beat the feeling would be excited and happy, if you were to use a minor melody over the same beat it would feel more anxious, but have the same intensity.
Well when you put it like that...
yeh i suppose
thought of a good example as well
take it out on me by bfmv middle section
listen to it guys
To those who said singing defines the mood, I think any instrument can define the mood, and singing is really like any other musical instrument
Quote by 09phillt
Well when you put it like that...
yeh i suppose
thought of a good example as well
take it out on me by bfmv middle section
listen to it guys

Was that to me?

If so, Wow I've never actually had someone agree with me...
I like the way classical is completely ignored.
Chopin, Paganini, Liszt.
Listen to La Campanella and tell me it doesn't have loads of different moods in one piece.
TS is stupid
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
I completly agree with Ts's statement, say if you have a 60bpm drum beat, no way in hell are you going to be shreadding to that, or making an upbeat fun song.

Now if you have a 120bpm drum beat, your not going to be making a slow sad song, either it is a fast upbeat song, or fast depressing song.

And what type of drums being used determine the mood of the song, like lots of toms and bass drums make a certian feel, or lots of snare and cymbols make another feel.
Quote by baz249

That last statement confirms you're a joke.
Everything contributes to the mood though, in the tool song, if they kept the same drum parts, but played nursery rhyme licks over it, would it still sound eerie?
Quote by Just_Matt
Atta boy! *pats makefunoflucky and heads towards the rear...*
First of all, listen to classical music. (Morricone,Grieg etc etc)
Second, in my opinion the drums really bring out the mood of a song but don't create/define it since it is a rhythm instrument.
I can't listen to drums for 10 minutes and say it has a mood.