Well I'm planning to build a bass exactly to my liking, seeing as my ultimate bass the Rickenbacker 4003 is out of reach, and I don't 100% like the look of all of its components. So I plan to build something from scratch that looks and sounds how I want. Here are my ideas:

Body- Swamp ash, shaped like a Cort rick shape bass
Neck- Fender Jazz
PUPS- Seymour Duncan, Neck: SPB-3 Quarter-Pound Bridge: STK-J2b Hot Stack
Bridge- Badass II

Any thoughts, recommendations etc appreciated, just make it constructive please. I am going to the states for a holiday mid next year, will be buying gear then, so no rush.

Cheers, Jack
I like this! Is that how you're planning to paint it? 'Cos the lighter edges make it eyecatching!
Personally, I'd have a Rick copy bridge/tailpiece, but I'd stick with a similar pup arrangement. Jus 'cos I lurve P/J's. I'm assuming it will be passive.
hang on, do you want the sound or the look of the Rick? 'Cause at the moment it won't sound very Rickish with those pickups.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
hang on, do you want the sound or the look of the Rick? 'Cause at the moment it won't sound very Rickish with those pickups.

Neither really, just a general feint rick flavour I guess you could say.

@ Creeping, It will be painted gloss white with the black bit in the centre. Using 2pac car paint, I do a bit of work at a car panel shop and have access to quality enamel. Yep, pretty sure those PUPs are passive
Are you going to make a pickguard for it? You could put on a really original and cool idea if you have the right materials.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I considered it but I couldn't come up with a design I liked, think I'll keep it clean and simple, ricks look a little to busy to me
Is it me or does the body look a bit too small? I know its just a sketch
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I really like the shape, but I'd prefer either two single coils or a humbucker pickup wise but thats just my preference.

However I really think it'll turn out well.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
looks like a BTB, methinks.

don't listen to these lesser beings, we know how lovely P/J is.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
looks like a BTB, methinks.

don't listen to these lesser beings, we know how lovely P/J is.

I'm not a lesser being, I just prefer humbuckers.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Rywad
I'm not a lesser being, I just prefer humbuckers.

I think he's referring more to the versatility of P/J configurations than a single PUP or two of the same type would give.
Quote by Rywad
I'm a lesser being, for I prefer humbuckers.

fixed :P
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
fixed :P

Damn yoooou!

But if I'm honest I do like the P/J my ibanez has it afterall but at the moment i'm just preferring the old 'buckers.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

I don't like active P/J as much as passive. I might eventually passivize my Ibanez.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i like the idea of a humbucker in the bridge too, you could always wire it so you can split the coils.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by BassForGrace
i'm watching this build

Hope you're patient, I'm not going to America until mid next year, which is when I'll be getting the parts!
Jack, thats gonna take ages. Are you gonna keep your Schecter once this is done? I reckon it looks pretty mad with the white around it. Your gonna have to get me a Super Distortion for my strat while your in the states cause it's cheaper over there... Better get Taylor some parts too......
Pretend we're dead..