I have the cavity cut out already, but how do I transfer this to a piece of paper or somthing to go over the pickguard so I can cut it out of the plastic?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
I can't fully help you cause I don't quite understand your post. Do you have pickguard material which you need to cut to shape and then cut out the holes for the pickups etc?
Yes. I have no idea how to transfer the shape of the routed hole onto the material so I can cut it out correctly. Sorry if the question wasnt clear.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
just trace it onto the material?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
erm, put the template on the material (for the pickguard) then trace, ect?

then cut it with a dremel or somthing? (i used a dremel last time i cut a pickguard)
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Blue xD. A very nice deep blue. And at blindsagacity, I do not have that much drawing skill either. I fail at using my hands for anything practical.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
I'd use a jigsaw/bandsaw to cut out the rough shape, then sand it. unless of course you have that fancy bevel bit for the router.

all you have to do is trace it. Doesn't take any artistic skill.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Actually, don't worry about the colour of the material. What you can do is, with double sided sticky tape, tape a piece of paper over the cavity which you wish to cover then with a pencil on about a 50 degree angle or so, lightly 'colour' in around the cavity like you would do when you trace over coins so that they transfer onto paper. You should have a darker line which is the outsite of the cavity. Then you can draw the pickguard shape around that.
Thankyou that sounds like just what I need! Thanks!
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
Quote by blindsagacity
I'd use a jigsaw/bandsaw to cut out the rough shape, then sand it. unless of course you have that fancy bevel bit for the router.

all you have to do is trace it. Doesn't take any artistic skill.

The jigsaw would almost certainly crack the material, so if you want to be safe, a jigsaw is a no-no. A bandsaw should work, as long as you don't have a blade with like 2 or so tpi. Another option you may want to consider is a scroll saw (if you have one) they are a very useful tool for small things like this.

If you have none of the above, it looks like your going to need a jewelers saw and a whole lotta elbow grease.
Quote by guitarcam123
The jigsaw would almost certainly crack the material, so if you want to be safe, a jigsaw is a no-no. A bandsaw should work, as long as you don't have a blade with like 2 or so tpi. Another option you may want to consider is a scroll saw (if you have one) they are a very useful tool for small things like this.

If you have none of the above, it looks like your going to need a jewelers saw and a whole lotta elbow grease.

Jigsaw worked for me when i changed the pups to humbuckers in my strat knockoff.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Sorry I think I gave you all the wrong idea. I wanted to know how to get the outline of the cavity (which i know now) not how to cut the pickguard. Sorry guys
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
Last edited by METAL_MAN135 at Aug 29, 2009,
Put a piece of thin paper over the cavity. Draw the shape you want. If you lack skills, then just keep doing it until you're satisfied or get someone to help out.

Cut it out and lay it down on the material. Hold it with one hand while you trace around the shape.