i have been playing guitar for about 2 years now and i have recently started playing standing up with my new guitar (dean dave mustaine flying v) and strap and after a while of playing the elbow of my picking hand (my left elbow) starts to hurt a little does any one know why this is?
`cos your not warming up properly and your not relaxed....go through my posts until you find a similar thread to yours it`s explained there or use the searchbar
I'd say you're using your forearm too much and not enough wrist! Elbows shouldn't really come into it at all except maybe for show. Les Paul has his right arm wrecked in a car crash and had his arm set in a permanent angle so that he coulod still play guitar. His elbow and arm didn't move after that.
Moving on.....
I don't know why your elbow is hurting because there should be minimal movement. Strumming should be done with the wrist and picking should ideally be done with your thumb and index finger.

Other than that, I don't see why your elbow would hurt.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Les Paul Special II 2006 Limited Edition Skull
Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith
Epiphone Embassy Standard IV Walnut
thanks guys this should help.
i was also wondering if theyres a certain strap hieght that will stop arm movement as much or is it persenel preference?
Whatever you're comfortable with. The lower you set your strap, the more likely you are to use your arm but it all depends on how tall you are. I set it so that the body of my guitar is at my waist/hip area.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Les Paul Special II 2006 Limited Edition Skull
Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith
Epiphone Embassy Standard IV Walnut
Essentially your guitar should be at the same height when standing as it is while sitting.

I go a little lower (about an inch) for show, and it makes it easier for behind the head playing and stupid little guitar tricks that make you look awesome.

I've never experience elbow pain much. I don't play on a V like yours, so I can't tell you much. I'm thinking you do the punk rock strum, with the whole arm moving up and down. Looks cool, but I can't keep it up for long. Elbow pain.
i mostly dont strum i prefer to pick single strings normaly not more than power chords and double stops. i play songs like damaged john 5 master of puppets metalica back in the village iron maiden i am legend out for blood arch enemy stuff like that
Last edited by dave mustaine v at Aug 29, 2009,
You should start reteaching yourself to pick with your wrist. When I first started playing I didn't know this and got used to doing everything with my arm. I had to really make an effort later on to lock that elbow in place and just speed up my wrists with practice.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
ok does any one have a link to a video of some thing related to this some thing showing very good picking technique?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

Thats the video that got me around to fixing my technique. Its more about alt. picking but its helpful to just see how he holds his pick and doesn't move his arm uncessarily.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...