Page 1 of 2
Seems to be some division in this.

Some claim it's just music, and apparently, that music isn't art because it communicates nothing, where most sensible sources agree that art exists to communicate an idea, a feeling, etc.

Some claim it's a lifestyle, which means you have to buy all the crap, and live like a metalhead or according to values someone in some magazine said was cool, or something.

Others, like myself, claim that metal is art.

Simply that.

Art is a communication of an idea or emotional state; this idea or emotional state carries with it a sense of what is valued in life.

And to pick one value is to reject others, and now you're polarized.

So... is metal just music, a lifestyle, or art and a values system?
What do you mean you have to buy all the crap? Like CDs? If that's the case then every genre is a lifestyle. If they believe that you have to own certain clothes to be "teh metulz" than it just becomes a group of posers listening to angry music.

It's just music.
My friend reckons it's a lifestyle. He thinks that if you listen to something, you have to do everything in your power to look, breathe and **** it.
I say he's an absolute dickhead.
Not to mention, we were going to band night things where local metal bands and **** would play and a lot of the fans would have what he describes as "emo" hair, so he figured that he had to go and get this bitchin' emo hair.
Anyway, that resulted in him getting called a ****** by just about everyone we know for a year. I still call him gay.
i believe metal is any of a class of elementary substances, as gold, silver, or copper, all of which are crystalline when solid and many of which are characterized by opacity, ductility, conductivity, and a unique luster when freshly fractured.
Quote by Conservationist
Seems to be some division in this.

Some claim it's just music, and apparently, that music isn't art because it communicates nothing, where most sensible sources agree that art exists to communicate an idea, a feeling, etc.

Some claim it's a lifestyle, which means you have to buy all the crap, and live like a metalhead or according to values someone in some magazine said was cool, or something.

1. wat
2. why would I HAVE to buy all the crap

It is a genre of music, why does it have to be more complicated than that?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Simple, it can be either or both, whichever you choose. /thread

exactly, you can just simply listen to it and enjoy it, or go all out getting metal band's t-shirts, growing out your hair, etc.
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
I don't think people who listen to metal but don't attend gigs, festivals, read magazines etc. can truly be considered metal fans.

So in sense it is a lifestyle.

People who live, sleep, eat and breathe metal tend to be a bit idiotic though. I definetly think you need a more in your life than just metal.

The whole metal as art thing is a totally different debate IMO.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
I don't think people who listen to metal but don't attend gigs, festivals, read magazines etc. can truly be considered metal fans.

So in sense it is a lifestyle.

People who live, sleep, eat and breathe metal tend to be a bit idiotic though. I definetly think you need a more in your life than just metal.

The whole metal as art thing is a totally different debate IMO.

Wat.

If I'm not a gangsta, I can't be a rap fan?

If I'm not a Republican farmer, I can't be a country fan?

If I don't wear baggy jeans with holes in them and dirty shirts, I can't be a grunge fan?

So what does it take to be a music fan?
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

What's with all these threads on metal 'culture' recently? You either like metal or you don't or you sort of like metal.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
There's a difference between liking something and being a true fan.

I think you've completely misunderstood what I'm saying here.

I'm not saying you have to grow your hair and wear band t-shirts all the time to be a metal fan.

I'm saying that if someone downloads a couple of Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth albums and listens to them every now again when they're feeling angry then that doesn't make them a metal fan.

They may like metal, but they aren't true fans.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Aug 29, 2009,
True metal fans listen to Manowar, posers don't.

There, that's how you distinguish between the two.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
question is stupid.
i listen to metal because i love it.
i wear band shirts because i love those bands

i listen to hip hop because i love it
but i don't go around wearing clothes three sizes too big and sporting grills.

just don't worry about it and live your life mate.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
From my experience, metal fans tend to not like much besides it, whereas metal listeners usually listen to a broader spectrum of other extreme/underground/intelligent/etc music; non-'commercial crap', basically.

That is not to say that something 'popular/mainstream' is necessarily bad, but that is just the trend; on average the wider an audience music appeals to, the likelier it is to be shallower, have less integrity, etc., when you consider the fact that as the population of a niche increases, the average intelligence of its members decreases.

This is probably already apparent to most of you, but 'hey, why not?', said I.
It's a form of art and a form of music, depending on the artist and how you look at it. I think it is technically a "lifestyle", but just out of satire or made up by trendy magazines.
Quote by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
I refer back to my statement about the other ANUSite here:

Conservationist is cooler than you. Faggot.

I agree completely with the art form idea of it. Always have, always will. Call me an ANUSite if you will, but that's how I see it.
Philosophy > Life
I believe it is art, and as art, I can interpret it in whatever way I feel like.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
I believe it is art, and as art, I can interpret it in whatever way I feel like.

Attaboy, deady.
Philosophy > Life
Music is art as long as its made for the right reasons. It doesn't matter if it's metal or not. As for lifestyle, well that depends on how into it you are. For me any genre of music can be a lifestyle just depends how into it I am.
Quote by romencer17
question is stupid.
i listen to metal because i love it.
i wear band shirts because i love those bands

i listen to hip hop because i love it
but i don't go around wearing clothes three sizes too big and sporting grills.

just don't worry about it and live your life mate.

Was that a fucking poem?
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
uuh maybe an accidental one.

Sumdeus
Personaly I think if you like the music, your a fan of it. regardless of how often you listen to it.

There are htose who will have you believe there is some sort of Metal Brotherhood, or something liek that. but at the end of the day, its music.

And Music I would consider an Art Form.

so in response to the initial question, I suppose my answer is art form.

But I feel the real question we should all be asking is, Who Actually Cares?
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
There are htose who will have you believe there is some sort of Metal Brotherhood

it's actually a Metal Siblinghood, according to Lord Worm

Sumdeus
Quote by I Hate Scum
Metal is an art form and, like any art form, has shared and common values.

Trying to force arbitrary patterns on a completely abstract idea is both illogical and silly.

Just because I listen to metal, doesn't mean I believe and support what other metal fans believe and support.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Metal as a lifestyle is just kind of a joke, but any complete and expansive form of art, like metal, is probably going to have die-hard fans.
Quote by dead-fish

you CAN interpret it any way you want, that goes without saying. but that leaves open the possibility that you could possibly interpret it incorrectly. I'm not saying there is only ONE correct interpretation, but there aren't an INFINITE number of correct interpretations, either. there may be MULTIPLE "correct" interpretations, I acknowledge that. but to say ANY interpretation is valid or correct is a long way from saying MULTIPLE interpretations may be valid or correct.
Any interpretation is valid. Period.

Because there isn't a right or wrong way to listen to music, there isn't a right or wrong way to interpret it.
Quote by dead-fish

Because there isn't a right or wrong way to listen to music, there isn't a right or wrong way to interpret it.

do you feel the same way about books or poems?
I do.

That said, books and poems are less abstract pieces than music, and different interpretations may be less common, but are valid nonetheless.
Last edited by dead-fish at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by dead-fish

Then I guess it's possible that Carcass songs are about seducing women, for instance?
Quote by dead-fish
I do.

That said, books and poems are less abstract pieces than music, and different interpretations may be less common, but are valid nonetheless.

you don't think the author has a general intent? or that that intent should be considered?
Quote by RememberTheKing
Then I guess it's possible that Carcass songs are about seducing women, for instance?

A) It is.
B) Literal lyrical interpretation is only one part of the whole package.
you don't think the author has a general intent? or that that intent should be considered?

C) Of course he has, and it doesn't have to be considered (section D), but if I don't agree with it, and I have a better interpretation of my own, I'll reference that.
D) Any artist who puts his work on display, gives up his right to tell people that their interpretation is wrong. Any artist who wishes to keep complete and total control of his art needs to keep it away from anybody but himself. This is relevant to every single art form out there.
Logic: Objects of art could not exist independently of their creators ---> meaning in art is ultimately present at creation and is defined by the creator.

Postmodern logic: It would be social congenial if everyone got to be right ---> meaning in art is whatever I say it is for whatever reason I choose to articulate, or not.

Me, I'll take Logic for $2000, Alex.
Page 1 of 2