Cast your minds back about a month ago and you might have noticed I get myself a Mesa Trem-o-verb which subsequently broke, went back to mesa, was fixed, sent back only to break again in the exact same way. I can get it fixed again thats no issue as it should be covered after the work they did 2 weeks ago. Im just now looking at other options.

Im not 100% sure but I might just have to get my cash back and start looking all over again.

Having done a bit of a search I have come across a few potential candidates.

1. Deizel Einstein
2. Mesa Rectoverb
3. Rivera Fandango
4. Carvin Lagacy II

Anyone played any of these amps to let me know what they sound like in the flesh as im likley not going to be able to play these prior to purchase except maybe the Rivera as I should be able to try that Tuesday when I drop the tremoverb off at the store and get my cash back

Iv basically got £1200 in hand to buy somthing really nice.

I like my cleans warm and with a nice dose of sparkle, rhythm big bold andf tight with oodles of low end, i err on the modern side here. Solo tones should be more vintage inspired but still have all the gain in the world. Serial effects loop is much prefered. Heads and combos are all good as I have a cab to get on with. Im good with secondhad gear as long as its from a shop not the ebay as theres no techs around me to fix anything that might go wrong.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Aug 31, 2009,
I have a legacy I, and it sounds great. The legacy II's differences is that there is an extra boost channel, and it has a volume knob that won't change your tone at whatever volume you're at. So seeing as Steve Vai probably would not change the overall tone between those amps drastically, I would recommend it.
get the diezel. i've played it a while ago. it sooooooooooooooo ****ing nice. it's the most versatile amp i've ever played. It's a monster, total tubepower. get it! you won't be disappointed.
Last edited by The Chauffeur at Aug 29, 2009,
I hear great things about Diezel. They are really expensive, but it sounds like they are worth every penny. But i recommend checking out an MTS amp:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188551&page=1&pp=20

I would go for the Blackface for cleans. If it doesn't suit your needs, you can always send it to Anthony for the Loneclean mod (based on Mesa Lone Star).

For hi gain, if you play at low tunings, then get the 1086 and have Anthony mod it to the 1666. If you want more of a Mesa tone, then a Grail or Recto might be good. I hear the Grail is better than the recto. And if you don't like either, then you can always send it to Anthony for a mod. Maybe the Benzin mod; it is based off of the Diezel VH4 i believe. Or you can wait till Randall realeases their Diezel module (which Anthony may have helped with). The Ultra XL is another great hi gain module. Same with the SL+. There are many modules and mods with this amp, It is really hard to just choose two or three. Here are some clips that can help you decide. Check out Anthony's clips as well on soundclick.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

If you get the RM50, then you can get different wattages depending on the tubes you use

JJ 6V6's (only JJ) will get you 25W. Bias b/t 18-22
6L6's, EL34's, E34L's, KT66's, and KT77's will get you 50W. Bias to recommended levels in manual
6550's and KT88's will get you 80-100W. Again, refer to manual for bias levels.

Biasing is easy. All you have to do is get a flathead screw driver and multimeter and you ready. There is a tutorial on youtube you can look at.

This is an extremely versatile amp; it is highly unlikely that you can't find a good tone. With the different tubes, speakers, pedals, modules and mods, the possibilities are endless.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
As an owner of one (so not biased at all... honest! ) I say the Einstein.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by halikus

I like my cleans warm and with a nice dose of sparkle, rhythm big bold andf tight with oodles of low end, i err on the modern side here. Solo tones should be more vintage inspired but still have all the gain in the world.

I think the Legacy will suit you nicely, quite dark and vintage-sounding, almost exactly to your description. The Fandango is a great choice too,so go with your gut instinct!
Iv seen the Carvins can be gotten new for 899 for the 212 legacy 1 or £1250 for the legacy 2. Is there much difference between them. Im thinking maybe on that as I could save myself £300 for a sweet od and rack eq. Thats also the reason the Rectoverb is up there as its £850 and id have some play money!

As of now the Einstein is my number 1 choice but seeing as iv got to drop the tremoverb off at the store with the fandango is makes sense to play it. They said they would do a straight swap but im gonna try and get a pedal thrown in for my trouble with the mesa.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Well I got another couple of candidates iv found to concider.

Krank Rev combo
MTS head with 4 modules
Mesa Stilletto - Not really up there just intruiging and a shop il be going to has one to try.

Whos got experience of these?
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by halikus
Well I got another couple of candidates iv found to concider.

Krank Rev combo
MTS head with 4 modules
Mesa Stilletto - Not really up there just intruiging and a shop il be going to has one to try.

Whos got experience of these?

MTS series is amazing. The versatility is unbounded. You can pretty much get the tone of any other amp for only $200-$400. What modules are you thinking of? Any mods? I suggest getting a few mod'd.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
The MTS comes with the Blackface, Plexi, sl+ and Super V modules. Im not sold on the MTS amps to be honest. Im skeptical of the 2 tube preamps, experience says more tubes = more tonal complexity also versatility is great and all but im looking for that one monster tone thats gonna stay with me for years. The other downer is that I would only be able to afford the head for now and would have to use my old 4x10 till I could afford a nice 2x12.

Oh it turns out I can also try a 5150III tomorrow too. Anyone care to comment?
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Diezel Einstein without a doubt. It simply just outclasses every one of those other amps in tone.

Being that you live in the UK, I wouldn't have even bought a Mesa in the first place. They are ridiculously overpriced there and much better amps can be found for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Mesas and Diezels are both usually pretty good, have you looked at ENGL?

the Screamer 50 is a personal favorite.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I'v looked at Engls and i could choose from Sceamer, Thunder, Powerball, Fireball, Blackmore and Raider. Im just not able to play any of em to get a proper idea of what they are capable of.

I never realised how many options there are in my price range, it's making my choices hard!
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by halikus
The MTS comes with the Blackface, Plexi, sl+ and Super V modules. Im not sold on the MTS amps to be honest. Im skeptical of the 2 tube preamps, experience says more tubes = more tonal complexity also versatility is great and all but im looking for that one monster tone thats gonna stay with me for years. The other downer is that I would only be able to afford the head for now and would have to use my old 4x10 till I could afford a nice 2x12.

Oh it turns out I can also try a 5150III tomorrow too. Anyone care to comment?

The modules each have two preamp tubes. The amp itself has three; a V1 (first gain stage i believe), a PI (phase inverter), and a FX loop buffer (for the parallel i think). So that is at most, 9 preamp tubes. 7 if you get the RM50. There is more to the MTS series than meets the eye.

Blackface is a great clean module. I hear the SL+ is good too. It actually has more gain than the Marshall it is based off of; it is more like a Soldano. But if you get a chance, send your module to Anthony. He can make a module sound incredible. If you not liking the Blackface, he can turn it into a Loneclean (based on Mesa Lone Star). He can also do the Benzin mod (based on Diezel VH4?).

Although there are a lot of great amps out there i would like to get, i will always have an MTS amp. It is extremely versatile, and can get pretty much any sound.

good luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Aug 31, 2009,
Einstein
Randall MTS
or an ENGL Savage
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
if i had your cash, id probably go for either...

ENGL sreamer 50
Mesa/boogie Single recto
Blackstar artisan 100 head + cab

etc.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Im totally over the recto sound now. Iv had, iv played, I got bored. If I get another Mesa it will be a Mark.

So the V1 in the MTS is global and each module contains V2 andV3 if I'm understanding right.

Also who is this Anthony I hear so much about. Salvation mods?
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

lol that good luck thing at the end of the posts is funny

/spam
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by halikus
Im totally over the recto sound now. Iv had, iv played, I got bored. If I get another Mesa it will be a Mark.

So the V1 in the MTS is global and each module contains V2 andV3 if I'm understanding right.

Also who is this Anthony I hear so much about. Salvation mods?

The module is actually V1 and V2. According to Doug at "Doug's Tubes," One of them is for tone, the other for drive. I forgot which, but there is something on the MTS forum about it....somewhere.

Pete Turley can turn a Ultra Lead module into a Mesa Mark Series module. He is in the US, but if you can get a UL and send it to him, that is the closest your probably going to get to a Mark, unless Randall comes out with one.

Anthony = Salvation Mods, yes. His mods are awesome. He has some threads in the rigs and tones section of the MTS forum. You should check them out. What kind of tone are you looking for?? If Randall doesn't offer it, then Anthony should be able to mod one for you to suit your needs. He has a soundclick profile with a lot of clips. It is accessible through that thread i posted earlier.

So are you finally warming up to the MTS series? One of the many great things about it is the bias section. You can replace the power tubes and bias them yourself. You don't have to pay a tech a load of money. But be gentle with the bias adjustment; use very small turns. It is very sensitive. And check out my post about the different power tubes; it is in the link i posted to the thread about MTS amps, the one with the lists of amps, modules, and modders.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein

No offense to the MTS series, they are great amps and all. But the only way to get anything that's even slightly comparable in tone to the Diezel means that you'll be shelling out a ****load for each module.

The stock MTS modules are decent sounding, something you'd expect from an amp in its price range new, but once you start buying modules, there's other amps I'd rather have. Of course, used they're quite a bit cheaper, but even then, there are some great contenders.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

No offense to the MTS series, they are great amps and all. But the only way to get anything that's even slightly comparable in tone to the Diezel means that you'll be shelling out a ****load for each module.

The stock MTS modules are decent sounding, something you'd expect from an amp in its price range new, but once you start buying modules, there's other amps I'd rather have. Of course, used they're quite a bit cheaper, but even then, there are some great contenders.

Mods only cost around $200. Ya, it ain't going to be an actual Diezel, but it will be close. Randall is actually coming out with a Diezel module. Some people say that Anthony is collaborating with them on it (since he made the Benzin mod that is based off of a Diezel). They are also doing and Engl, Orange, Acoustic, and Ultra Curve (with 5-band EQ). And a new Lynch module. I also heard something about a Scott Ian module.

There are other amps i'd like to have too, such as a Diezel or a Mesa. But b/c i ain't got that kind of money, having an MTS amp is great b/c it is significantly less money to get a similar sound, if not a better sound.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
Mods only cost around $200. Ya, it ain't going to be an actual Diezel, but it will be close. Randall is actually coming out with a Diezel module. Some people say that Anthony is collaborating with them on it (since he made the Benzin mod that is based off of a Diezel). They are also doing and Engl, Orange, Acoustic, and Ultra Curve (with 5-band EQ). And a new Lynch module. I also heard something about a Scott Ian module.

There are other amps i'd like to have too, such as a Diezel or a Mesa. But b/c i ain't got that kind of money, having an MTS amp is great b/c it is significantly less money to get a similar sound, if not a better sound.

He's in the UK. An unloaded RM100 costs £750 (from GAK - £1015 from Thomann) and each of the basic modules are £200 a piece, for a total of £1350. The Diezel Einstein 50 head costs £1386, or £1445 for the 100w head from Thomann.

The MTS series is great in the US, but unless all your modules are Salvation mods (which costs ~$200 on top of a module you buy), they really can't hold a candle to the Diezel
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Good Day all! I have made the mission to return the Tromoverb. 120 miles round trip and 3 hours on the road. CURSE YOU M25!

I tried out a few things whilst I was there.

First I tried out a Rivera Fandango. Very nice it was too, I really dug the clean channel but it took on chord on the gain channel to realise its not my thing. Very nice still.

I also tried out a Roadster combo and got rather confused by all the options. Still it was just another Recto in my eyes. I would consider if I was gigging and had a bit more cash but at nigh on £2000 I was priced right out on that one.

Now if I was confounded by the roadster then you will know my first thoughts on the Mark V I tried. But I was amazed that with out any knowledge of what was supposed to do what i managed to get a sweet rhythm and lead tone in seconds. To the point that the guys in the shop were dumfounded as most people fiddled with it for ages and it couldn't dial anything great and just gave up. Sadly a £2400 pricetag killed my buzz.

Oh also tried out a Demmelition V and I have to say if I werent GASing for a 7 string I might just have given in and bought it. Played like butter although the shop guys were not pleased at the whammy abuse I gave it. But as I reminded them its an ofr and if it can take it.....

Time to get that deposit on the Diezel me thinks!

Edit: Diezel deposit done. Apparently its immaculate and has less that 3 hours play from new. The guy who sold it to the store is a rich bugger who buys amps constantly, and then part exchanges them for something else maybe 3 or 4 times a month. This is good as If I can get the right receipt and register it I can snag the lifetime warranty and be covered forever!
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Last edited by halikus at Sep 1, 2009,