Hi All,
I'm looking for a decent PA System for a full band that can accomodate venues from as small as 50 to as big as 250-300. I'm looking to only spend 1k (w/o Monitors). I've been looking at the Peavey, Yamaha, and Kustom lines and see some decent sets with like 2 - 15" speakers, a power mixer, and 8 ch mixer which seems like a decent setup but I figured with tons of stuff to sift through why not ask some of the ultimate guitar guys and gals. Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks,
Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
my band has a small PA and we ended up spending around $900 for a Mackie 8 channel powered mixer and 2 15" Peavy speakers, not including mics.

The setup is perfect for practicing and it gets the job done at gigs but it definitely could be better
We ended up spending about £900 on a 16-channel passive desk in a rack case, and a pair of 400W active 15" speakers. Great set up for a full band, and the extra channels mean we can fully mic everything.

An alternative setup worth looking into, although powered mixers can be very convenient.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 29, 2009,
Peavey Pro-15's are great budget speakers. The only negative about them is that they don't have metal corners.

They're 4ohm and 500W, like, £250 for a pair. WELL worth getting. I have a no-name 220W mixer, and it gets the job done for prac, but i have a 400W power amp for gigs.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Juadafi,
Thanks for the info no the Peavey's. I've heard great things about em. Now, pardon my ignorance but what exactly is an ohm? I understand wattage but am pretty noobish when it comes to electrical stuff such as this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
an Ohm is a measurement of resistance that an electrical thing has. The higher the ohm, the more resistance it has.

You usually have to match things up, but for say, on a power amp, they'll give a measurement of wattage into the ohm of your speakers (16, 8 or 4). My power amp is 500W into 4 ohms and I think about 250 into 8, idk, I'm not sure where the box is atm. Usually if you double the ohms you can half the wattage, but there are variations.

There's a book called "Ohm's Law" which is apparently a great bedtime read. You should look into parallel and series as well in relation to ohms.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?