Ive got a HT-5 head witha marshall 1922 2x12 cab with celections in there.
im just wondering what kind of tube change would give me that extra bit of balls/more gain/better sound?

Thanks
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I don't know if they fit your amp, but EL34s are my high-gain choice. 6L6s are better for cleans and mids, but they lack the higher gain.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Quote by LEPIV
I don't know if they fit your amp, but EL34s are my high-gain choice. 6L6s are better for cleans and mids, but they lack the higher gain.

Don't many Mesa Boogie amps use 6L6's?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Yeah, all of the rectifier series.

Marshalls all(or almost all) have EL34s, whereas Fender Twins, etc are 6L6s. That may give you another reference....
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
You can't get EL34's in an HT-5. I think you're pretty limited because of the BH7 power amp valve since it's only 5 watts.
so what would the choice be?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Ive got a HT-5 head witha marshall 1922 2x12 cab with celections in there.
im just wondering what kind of tube change would give me that extra bit of balls/more gain/better sound?

Thanks

Big amps (100+ watts) aren't just loud, they sound big. I also like KT88s because to me they sound big. I'm not aware of a tube substitution you can make to help your amp. It might be time for an upgrade in wattage.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by BobDetroit
Big amps (100+ watts) sound big. I also like KT88s because to me they sound big. I'm not aware of a tube substitution you can make to help your amp. It might be time for an upgrade in wattage.

Tonal comparisons like that really depend more on the amp circuit, rather than the tube type.

If you want more gain/balls, shoving a pedal in front would be more effective. Try something like a Fulltone OCD, or even a clean boost, for more gain, like the BBE Boosta Grande.
New preamp tubes will help with the gain. I put some old 12AX7's (about 20 years old) in my TSL and they changed it heaps. More gain, more volume, thicker sound. That could just have been because the stock preamp tubes were shite though
Quote by forsaknazrael
Tonal comparisons like that really depend more on the amp circuit, rather than the tube type.

If you want more gain/balls, shoving a pedal in front would be more effective. Try something like a Fulltone OCD, or even a clean boost, for more gain, like the BBE Boosta Grande.

agreed.
well ive got the MXR 10 band helping the sound too,

i was thinkin bout getting another amp when ive got the money to spare, but i cant really go that loud cuz i dont really gig or have the house type for big amps.

but i really want an engl or somethin with that amount of gain, or maybe the series one 45

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals