I was at Bellevue American Music yesterday, and I spotted a blonde/faded yellow Road Worn '50's Telecaster on the wall. I've never really liked the look of Telecasters, always thinking of them as cowboy guitars or Bruce Springsteen guitars.

Anyway, the Road Worn one looked kinda cool so on a whim I picked it up and started playing. 30 minutes later, I was hooked!

I've played the Joe Strummer Tele before -- that one was utterly lame. But this one felt and played so much different. I *LOVED* the neck. I'm not used to the 25.5" scale length (I play mostly short-caled 24" and Gibson 24.75" scale length guitars), but the 42mm width @ the nut and the 7.25" fretboard were AWESOME. I also like the vintage frets and pickups. AND the light weight. I also liked the fact that if I ding this guitar up, I'll never notice it!

So: now I'm playing with the idea of trading in or selling my Gibson SG Classic to raise money for the Road Worn '50's Tele. My SG Classic is a beautiful guitar -- it's a piece of art -- and the P90's sound killer. But for me, the neck is a freakin' baseball bat and I hate it. I've tried to bond with this neck for 2+ years but it ain't gonna happen.

What should I do?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Aug 29, 2009,
if you hate that neck then i really think you should part with the SG
Yeah a lot of people dislike the road worns, and they're MIM's so they can be hit and miss, but I've only played good ones, and a mate of mine adores his RW strat,much moreso than his gibson Les Paul standard. The downside is that they cost a lot for Mexican made fenders, but if you like it go for it
Quote by thewho65
If you want a Telecaster, there are better options than the RW series.

I'm open to suggestions. I fell in love with the neck on this guitar. 42mm width @ nut, 7.25" radius, skinny C-profile, and tall vintage frets.

Are there other Teles that have these specs?
The Classic series 50's Telecaster is the most similar (60's is as well actually), and it costs a little less I believe.
Last edited by thewho65 at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by thewho65
The Classic series 50's Telecaster is the most similar (60's is as well actually), and it costs a little less I believe.

The 60's is the closest in spec. The 50's has an even skinnier neck at 41.3mm (this also intrigues me).

However, I'm not seeing any other Tele offering that have the 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets used on the RW Tele.
For what it's worth, the guy at the shop said he could probably let the RW Tele go for "Eight or Eight and a Quarter". He said that with the economy in the crapper, everyone was trying to move inventory and make deals.

Bellevue American Music offers a free initial setup and a free annual setup (lifetime) with each guitar they sell, so $815-ish seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Edit; ^$815 is a hell of a deal for that thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0HREcJZYTU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FStratosphere18&feature=player_profilepage

This man has advised me with guitars before and his advice has been nothing but stellar, and to be honest, while the fretboard relicing really is gimmicky, I agree with him wholeheartedly, the Roadworns, despite opinions here, blow most guitars in the pricerange out of the water, and then some. If you can't dig the SG's neck and loved the tele, then I'd go for it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit; ^$815 is a hell of a deal for that thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0HREcJZYTU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FStratosphere18&feature=player_profilepage

This man has advised me with guitars before and his advice has been nothing but stellar, and to be honest, while the fretboard relicing really is gimmicky, I agree with him wholeheartedly, the Roadworns, despite opinions here, blow most guitars in the pricerange out of the water, and then some. If you can't dig the SG's neck and loved the tele, then I'd go for it.

Yeah, they should really cut down on the fingerboard relicing, because it's overdone just a bit. Just a slight bit of relicing and it would look cool.

Anyways, they are really good guitars, and no ones really gonna tell the fact that its 'faux relic'd' from a distance. If you like the feel and the sound, then you should get one .
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I've seen and played the "road worn" line strats. It's dumb. This whole relic thing is dumb. They are charging almost 1 K (where I saw them) for a MIM that got date raped with a belt sander. If a guitar is going to be reliced, it should be from you and years of playing the snot out of it and not Bob Vila.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Edit; ^Sorry Phil, you're a good drummer and a good singer, but when it comes to guitars you're not much.

Quote by Lil Macker
Yeah, they should really cut down on the fingerboard relicing, because it's overdone just a bit. Just a slight bit of relicing and it would look cool.

Agreed, though to be honest after seeing this thing;

http://vintageguitars.net/products/dispProd.cfm?id=698

What I'm wondering is less why they went to town on the fretboard so much as it's why there's no relicing on the pentatonic scale on the 9th-12th frets, considering it's to be from the 1950's on, with the music played on real vintage 50's strats, that seems like a big detail to miss.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by Phil Collins
I've seen and played the "road worn" line strats. It's dumb. This whole relic thing is dumb. They are charging almost 1 K (where I saw them) for a MIM that got date raped with a belt sander. If a guitar is going to be reliced, it should be from you and years of playing the snot out of it and not Bob Vila.

Well, for me the relicing thing is secondary. It just happens that the set of features I happen to like are on a relic'd 50's RW Tele. Only the RW, 50's and 60's Teles have a 7.25" radius fretboard with a skinny neck (either 42mm or 41.3mm). And *only* the RW has the 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets that I like.

Having played the relic'd Joe Strummer Tele at GC 6 months ago, I can tell you that the RW Tele is miles ahead in terms of authenticity. I agree that relicing is kinda lame if you're trying to give the impression that you gig 300 times per year. But I'm just a living room jammer. No one will ever see this Tele but me.
I'd say either a Highway One Telecaster or a Standard American Telecaster...

The Road Worn series is very unique, but I couldn't force myself to buy one of those. These forums really made me realize how stupid it sort of is to buy a guitar that's pre-worn from the "50's," because it has no stories except, you walked into the guitar store, took it off the wall, played it and bought it.

But it's your money and preference....
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Well, for me the relicing thing is secondary. It just happens that the set of features I happen to like are on a relic'd 50's RW Tele. Only the RW, 50's and 60's Teles have a 7.25" radius fretboard with a skinny neck (either 42mm or 41.3mm). And *only* the RW has the 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets that I like.

Having played the relic'd Joe Strummer Tele at GC 6 months ago, I can tell you that the RW Tele is miles ahead in terms of authenticity. I agree that relicing is kinda lame if you're trying to give the impression that you gig 300 times per year. But I'm just a living room jammer. No one will ever see this Tele but me.

Right, the specs look bloody great, no doubt. But I just don't get why the price got hiked up for the "relic-ing" to almost a grand? Are the specs different from normal mexicans? Why not save a wee bit more and go MIA?
--Gear--

Quote by Phil Collins
Right, the specs look bloody great, no doubt. But I just don't get why the price got hiked up for the "relic-ing" to almost a grand? Are the specs different from normal mexicans? Why not save a wee bit more and go MIA?

1. As an owner of a MIM standard, I can give a very hearty "Hell yeah!" on the specs being different. Whether it's worth $450 is up to the player, but personally I think it sounds and lot more vintage-accurate, having compared a real 63' strat a local shop has and a 60's Roadworn. The difference is clearly there(Though you don't deserve either if you can't tell a Roadworn from a real 1963 pre-CBS strat), but still, it's smaller than it should be all things considered.

2. Personally, raising a flameshield, the pickups in the American Standards have always seemed slightly bland and generic to me, and I prefer the sound of a Roadworn. That and $250 isn't exactly "a wee bit more" sadly.

Quote by necrosis1193
1. As an owner of a MIM standard, I can give a very hearty "Hell yeah!" on the specs being different. Whether it's worth $450 is up to the player, but personally I think it sounds and lot more vintage-accurate, having compared a real 63' strat a local shop has and a 60's Roadworn. The difference is clearly there(Though you don't deserve either if you can't tell a Roadworn from a real 1963 pre-CBS strat), but still, it's smaller than it should be all things considered.

2. Personally, raising a flameshield, the pickups in the American Standards have always seemed slightly bland and generic to me, and I prefer the sound of a Roadworn. That and $250 isn't exactly "a wee bit more" sadly.

I was under the assumption that the Americans had ceramic pick ups, correct me if I'm wrong.

For that price though the Road Worn serise HAS (it better) to have higher grade pickups then a standard MIM to make it more then just the relic-ing that your getting...
--Gear--

Quote by Phil Collins
I was under the assumption that the Americans had ceramic pick ups, correct me if I'm wrong.

That'd just make things worse. To me Alnico pickups have the liveliest sounds. It's unclear what kind of magnets American Standards use, but based on the sound I believe Ceramic.

For that price though the Road Worn serise HAS (it better) to have higher grade pickups then a standard MIM to make it more then just the relic-ing that your getting...

Well, yes, and they are a bit overpriced due to the relicing, but as well, the nitrocellulose finish lets the wood breathe more than a polyurethane coat like most Fenders use does, and the electronics are much higher-quality.

In addition, some people buy for the deal they get. Some buy what they like. I love the Classic series, I love the Highway Ones, I love the $750-$1,000 range because there you get some truly beastly guitars that aren't too expensive, but the Roadworns stand out to me compared to other strats in that pricerange. Nothing is ever overpriced if it has the tone you want.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Nothing is ever overpriced if it has the tone you want.

Exactly. Although I would add to that "Nothing is ever overpriced if it has the tone *and the playability* you want."

The Road Worn '50's Telecaster has Tex-Mex alnico pickups and the 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets. I've heard lots of great things about Tex-Mex pups (they're probably closer in growl and nastiness to the P90's on my SG Classic) and the 6105 frets just feel right to me.

As noted, the nitro finish sets it apart from a lot of other non-relic'd Teles, and the lack of finish on the back of the neck makes it that much more playable IMO.

...Well, I'm off to the shop to give this thing another whirl...
I guess the Road Worn does kinda make sense though, because whatever finish Fender uses on its modern MIM and MIAs is basically bullet proof. I mean the newer thick body finishes are pretty much not going to wear down from use like they did in the olden days.
--Gear--

Wish i was in Seattle. I'd take that SG Classic off your hands. I had one and wish I'd kept it.I still have a Tele,Les Paul and four other guitars.I loved that P90 tone though. I'd keep it and save for a road worn.You never know what you've got till its gone.
Quote by marantz1300
Wish i was in Seattle. I'd take that SG Classic off your hands. I had one and wish I'd kept it.I still have a Tele,Les Paul and four other guitars.I loved that P90 tone though. I'd keep it and save for a road worn.You never know what you've got till its gone.

Quick TS! You might actually get a fair price of sale from this guy! Find out about shipping : D
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
I think in the end it really comes down to 'if you like it, buy it'.

And I wouldn't let the MIM scare you. I put an MIM and MIA standard telecaster together and they played basically the same.

Normally I'm against 'relicing' but that is a really cool looking guitar. The flat chrome hardware looks really neat.
I'm gonna keep the SG and save up for the RW Tele. I played it plugged in yesterday. I wasn't blown away by the tone, but then I wasn't using my own rig -- I kept things kinda quiet since there were other dudes noodling in the shop who were about 50 times better than me.

I definitely like the neck on the RW Tele and it'll be worth yearning for over the next 4-5 months. Maybe I can get it for Christmas. But I don't think I can part with the SG.