We'll run out of fossil fuels soon enough, so we'll have to start introducing more and more stuff like this. tbh, if the technology exists and it's looking like it's going to be necessary to do so, we should do it. I'm sure someone would find ways to make lots of money out of it as well.

EDIT: They spelt emissions wrong.
Last edited by rigiddigits at Aug 29, 2009,
Go for it.
Although I know France are building the worlds largest nuclear/fusion reactor. It's so big that if anything even went wrong Western Europe would be near destroyed. Chernobyl style. 2014 I think it opens.
Last edited by tattyreagh at Aug 29, 2009,
Those things look huge. It's be cool if we could do it though. We should make like a world wide power grid so we constantly have solar power no matter where you are.
Nuclear power for the win.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by tattyreagh
Go for it.
Although I know France are building the worlds largest nuclear/fusion reactor. It's so big that if anything even went wrong Western Europe would be near destroyed. 2014 I think it opens.

If its an IFR reactor it will shut itself down. And fusion hasn't even been perfected yet. It is still to unstable and difficult to harness the energy.

Edit: Sorry for double post
Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by maggot9779
Those things look huge. It's be cool if we could do it though. We should make like a world wide power grid so we constantly have solar power no matter where you are.

I'd totally go to the desert and play the guitar real loud.. Yeah.. *drools*

Nice idea, though I heard wave energy in the Irish Sea could provide enough energy for the world for YEARS, only in one year. So after one year, we'd have energy for 40 years or so. That'd be cool.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by tattyreagh
Go for it.
Although I know France are building the worlds largest nuclear/fusion reactor. It's so big that if anything even went wrong Western Europe would be near destroyed. 2014 I think it opens.

I don't think I can come up with a more awesome way to die, than in a fusion blast.
I also heard scientists are working on power WITHOUT using wires, that would mean we could get our energy beamed from space or something.
Do you realize how high the cost of photovoltaic solar cells is?

Solar energy is just about the most expensive common renewable energy source. Granted, it is becoming cheaper and more efficient, but it will still take decades before any reasonable large-scale solar fields will be feasible.

And as far as wave power goes, I don't know where LordPino got his information, but I can guarantee it is not accurate.
Quote by maggot9779
I also heard scientists are working on power WITHOUT using wires, that would mean we could get our energy beamed from space or something.

We've been able to do that for years, just not with particularly large voltages over distance. It was going to be used to 'beam down' power from a giant solar panel orbiting the sun
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Why not? I don't think the barren lifeless dessert gives a sh*t if you drop solar panels on it

i mean...as long as it doesn't interrupt any kind of climate
Quote by Its So Easy
If its an IFR reactor it will shut itself down. And fusion hasn't even been perfected yet. It is still to unstable and difficult to harness the energy.

I can't remember what it was called but when a discussion about this in French class on the day the Big Bang Machine( Large Hadron Collidor) was being turned on/going to kill us. French teacher thought that day would be the best time to discuss various apocalyptic events.
Quote by wyldething
Do you realize how high the cost of photovoltaic solar cells is?

Solar energy is just about the most expensive common renewable energy source. Granted, it is becoming cheaper and more efficient, but it will still take decades before any reasonable large-scale solar fields will be feasible.

And as far as wave power goes, I don't know where LordPino got his information, but I can guarantee it is not accurate.

1) +1

2) True.

3) A geography teacher I know. He's full of sh¡t, but I found it an interesting concept so thought I'd post it.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by pigeonmafia
We've been able to do that for years, just not with particularly large voltages over distance. It was going to be used to 'beam down' power from a giant solar panel orbiting the sun

Oh really? I only heard about it recently so I assumed it was quite new. It a cool idea though. I, for one, am sick of ****ing wires.

Maybe with more development they could get it to work properly.
Wind power is not a viable future energy source. Where I live, Tyrone in N.Ireland, we have plenty of turbines, probably the most in Ireland, but global warming will not produce as much wind as we have now. It is looking as if we have wasted a lot of money and local councils have admitted Wind is not the solution
Quote by tattyreagh
Wind power is not a viable future energy source. Where I live, Tyrone in N.Ireland, we have plenty of turbines, probably the most in Ireland, but global warming will not produce as much wind as we have now. It is looking as if we have wasted a lot of money and local councils have admitted Wind is not the solution

Nuclear
Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Improbable. We're talking fields of solar panels the size of whole states. Who's going to run those? Employment and upkeep would be the #1 issue.

Nuclear power is supreme.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
Improbable. We're talking fields of solar panels the size of whole states. Who's going to run those? Employment and upkeep would be the #1 issue.

Nuclear power is supreme.

Yes

Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Quote by Its So Easy
Nuclear

Yeah, they're gonna open one about 200 miles away. Hopefully that's far enough incase of Chernobly 2
Quote by maggot9779

The funny part is that the technology for that has been around for a century.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by Våd Hamster
I don't think I can come up with a more awesome way to die, than in a fusion blast.

Crushed in a super model orgy?
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by tattyreagh
Go for it.
Although I know France are building the worlds largest nuclear/fusion reactor. It's so big that if anything even went wrong Western Europe would be near destroyed. Chernobyl style. 2014 I think it opens.

Fusion can become a chain reaction.

But nowhere near like fission can.
At worst the fusion facility would be destroyed. But fusion requires a specific environment in order to work, and if that environment is not perfect. The reaction fails.

NOT Chernobyl style.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Våd Hamster

It wouldn't be a blast, it would be a nuclear meltdown. Reactors don't explode. If they did three mile island and Chernobyl would no longer exist. The problem with a meltdown is that the radioactive toxins get into the soil via the water from the cooling system. When it gets into the soil plants absorb it, and the plants get eaten and the radiation is released into the air. People get cancer, babies are deformed. **** goes down.

Also, to the guys saying it will be like Chernobyl, it won't be. The reason Chernobyl's plant melted down was because the people running it weren't careful at all. They let things break down and fall apart. It doesn't take a genius to realize that when you let dangerous **** fall apart then something bad is going to happen.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Last edited by tayroar at Aug 29, 2009,
wow isn;t that big at all. i still think it is silly to power all from one source- diversify!

or just wait and see if the holy grail of cold fusion can be sorted.
Quote by osXtiger
Fusion can become a chain reaction.
But nowhere near like fission can.
At worst the fusion facility would be destroyed. But fusion requires a specific environment in order to work, and if that environment is not perfect. The reaction fails.
NOT Chernobyl style.

We were also told the chances of anything going wrong were tiny, like 0.005%
Like I said before I can't remember it's name or if it's fission, fusion or if it's just a plain nuclear plant but a disaster could be like what happened in Chernobyl, on a smaller scale. French government are investing tens of billions in it anyway.
Anyway it doesn't matter, it's not gonna happen!
I didn't think my exxageration would cause a debate on the matter.
Last edited by tattyreagh at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by tattyreagh
We were also told the chances of anything going wrong were tiny, like 0.005%
Like I said before I can't remember it's name or if it's fission, fusion or if it's just a plain nuclear plant but a disaster could be like what happened in Chernobyl, on a smaller scale. French government are investing tens of billions in it anyway.
Anyway it doesn't matter, it's not gonna happen!
I didn't think my exxageration would cause a debate on the matter.

to be fair those odds seem right, how many of all the Nuclear reactors in the world have gone wrong? one.
and i dunno about this stuff but weren't Chernobyl done to human error? and all the deaths because the clean up crew were given the wrong safety suites
and what the hell are you going to do at night?
how the hell are you going to transport it all over the place?

solar power sucks ass

*to be power engineer*

Quote by tattyreagh

wind power sucks. Spain built a assload of wind plants....and then had to build the same amount of gas plants so it could hold the power grid together when the wind stops.
Same goes for germany, they've royally ****ed up the quality of their electricity and its hurting the entire central european power network
Last edited by seljer at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by seljer
and what the hell are you going to do at night?
how the hell are you going to transport it all over the place?

solar power sucks ass

*to be power engineer*

Umm, that's why there are panels all over the world. When it's night in one area, it will be day time in another, meaning the system is still absorbing power.
Quote by DC EP
Umm, that's why there are panels all over the world. When it's night in one area, it will be day time in another, meaning the system is still absorbing power.

Not to mention there will be ways of storing power that isn't used right away...
Quote by DC EP

lets say....you have an aluminium smelter in the middle of siberia, you're going to need transpot a whole ****ton of of power halfway across the world so it can keep running and night

Quote by technicolour
Not to mention there will be ways of storing power that isn't used right away...

batteries suck and the only method of storing power we have atm is pumped-storage hydroelectricity.... and people get all fussy when you want to dam up a piece of nature
Quote by seljer
lets say....you have an aluminium smelter in the middle of siberia, you're going to need transpot a whole ****ton of of power halfway across the world so it can keep running and night

batteries suck and the only method of storing power we have atm is pumped-storage hydroelectricity.... and people get all fussy when you want to dam up a piece of nature

I'd use the excess power to generate hydrogen. It can be shipped to where it's needed, and used in fuel cells and whatnot.
Quote by MightyAl
I'd use the excess power to generate hydrogen. It can be shipped to where it's needed, and used in fuel cells and whatnot.

the efficiency of electrolysis is **** and the efficiency of fuel cells is ****

compared to batteries you're practically throwing the energy away
The funny thing is, we actually lose money due to the cost of making them and how much they pay off.