Within the next 2-3 months i will be able to buy my next guitar and im really stuck here.
Im really interested in a 7 string guitar, and i found the Schecter HellraiserC-7 to be the guitar that would please me above other brands.It has active EMG pickups, full wooden body ext. On the other hand im also interested in the 6 string Esp guitar model H-1001 with Seymour pickups.
Im aiming for the one that will deliver a great crunch for heavy/progressive metal and a smooth clean blues tone similiar to John Mayer though im not looking for a dead on strat sound. Which one can deliver more?

http://www.audiopalace.de/images/product_images/popup_images/esp_ltd_H-1001_STP.jpg

http://mksmedia.net/media/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Schecter_Hellrai_4a0a83839c1b7.jpg
I mean, what other guitars do you have? If you don't have another good 6 stringer, I'd go for te ESP. But if you have a nice 6 string, it's always cool to have a 7
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well, i have one of the "few" descent cheap first acts.
I've had it for a good 2 years. It hasnt let me down, though it has its flaws, im glad to have it.
In the long run though it'll probablly die on me cause its not a quality guitar.
Like the Schecter has EMG Actives. Will those feed me a bright crunch sound?
I admire the sound of bands such as AsILayDying,AugustBurnsRed, and BulletForMyValentine, but again i have to be able to switch to that Mayer tone by the end of the night.
Quote by ericrawr
Well, i have one of the "few" descent cheap first acts.
I've had it for a good 2 years. It hasnt let me down, though it has its flaws, im glad to have it.
In the long run though it'll probablly die on me cause its not a quality guitar.
Like the Schecter has EMG Actives. Will those feed me a bright crunch sound?
I admire the sound of bands such as AsILayDying,AugustBurnsRed, and BulletForMyValentine, but again i have to be able to switch to that Mayer tone by the end of the night.

The EMGs will certainly give you that metal crunch you want. But they will sound sort of inorganic for John Mayer
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Metal and John Mayer are pretty much opposite sounds... you really can't get the best of both worlds when it comes to pickups. Granted, you can have some that are pretty good at both, but you really can't have a pickup that's great for both... but that's why you have an amp, to make up for it.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
You have to decide whether you want a 7 string or a 6 string really. Personally If I had the money and were shopping for a 7 string I would get the ESP LTD HEX-7, but maybe thats just the Behemoth side of me taking over...
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...