Which one would you guys recommend?
I have a budget of around £350 and i can get any of these second hand for around that price. I want an effects loop, a semi decent clean and I'm not too bothered about a multitude of channels etc. My main point is the price

However, I've heard that the Blackstar HT-5, Orange Tiny Terror, Vox Night Train and the new Marshall class 5 amps are surprisingly loud, but will they stand up to a drummer/bassist without breaking up too much?

I know about the Laney's weak effects loop, and the Hot Rod's bad overdrive, so any other things I should know about, or any other recommendations that fit this kind of need will be greatly appreciated!
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
I'd personally go with the VC30. I've played a few and they are great amps for the price.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
so if i was to go for the VC30, what speaker config. would you say? I was thinking 2x10, because I imagine its louder than a 112, but not as heavy to lug down the stairs to my mini playing room thing... I still haven't decided on the VC30 yet. Although it is incredibly cheap which is an important factor.
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Oh I like the Fender's looks! I take it the smaller ones I mentioned are a no-no?
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by Debutante
Oh I like the Fender's looks! I take it the smaller ones I mentioned are a no-no?

Oh soory completely ignored the bottom bit.

I have the Blackstar, it's great but if your drummer is really loud the clean channel might struggle a bit. As for the tiny terror, you'll have no problem. I don't know much about the Vox nightrain but it is the same wattage as the Tiny Terror.

All of those are good amps btw

The blues junior is also really good but it's distortion. channel lacks a bit I've heard. Ofcourse though, you can use a pedal.

At the moment I'm really interested in these:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40614-hughes-kettner-25th-anniversary-combo.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

I suggest you look into them, if it won't take you too long to get together the little bit of extra cash
Last edited by The Chimney Man at Aug 29, 2009,
You'll want 30 watts to be completely sure of getting over a heavy handed drummer. 15 watts might not be crystal clear but is still very loud. But no HT-5 unfortunately. I would get a VC30 112. Light, still loud and cheaper to replace the speaker (the stock ones aren't great)
Blues Junior is nice but needs a good OD pedal and is still expensive over here. Night train was nice when I played it, better than the TT IMO, just more versatile, better cleans. but I think a VC30 and a speaker swap would be perfect
The Hughes and Kettner is 20 watts right? looks good. so VC30, Night Train or The 25th Anniversary gubbins it seems....
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||