Well I'm new to this site, so go easy on me....

Next week I'm going to be auditioning for my first ever band (on drums). Now, I've never played with a bassist before and lol and behold when I show up it's going to be the bass player (leader of the band too, oh god)and the keyboard player there to jam with and say yay or nay. Now, what exactly am I doing when people say "bass and drums should mesh" or something along those lines? I don't want to look like an @ss. I just started to really listen to the bass players in bands now just to prepare. So, do you guys have any pointers from a bass player prespective when you play with you drummer?
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
The best advice is to go with there rhythm and timing. In a lot of case's, not true with all, but bass plays the same notes, just a more relaxed rhythm of what the guitar is doing. Thats mainly what you want to follow.
Peace be thy journey
don't do a fill on every measure, keep it steady. Fills are nice, but it's good if the bassist expects them so the music won't sound like ****
An ideal drummer is someone who plays for the groove, not just himself. Try following the rhythm of the bassline, playing the bass drum on the prominent notes in the bassline to help lock in with the bassist, not just on beats 1 and 3. Don't go over board with your fills, but once you feel a bit more confident after one or two songs, throw in a little bit extra to show them what your capable of. Above all, don't take things to seriously, relax and have fun.I know this would seem hard, but being all tense makes it all the more difficult.

Last thing, the rhythm section is what holds the band together (as I'm sure you may well know), so getting along with the bassist is important. As Tim Commerford (or it may have been Brad Wilks, I can't remember) once said, "the best rhythm section is almost never the best bassist and drummer, but the best friends".

I hope that helped.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by fleajr_1412
"the best rhythm section is almost never the best bassist and drummer, but the best friends".

This +1000

When I played drums in my band (I play guitar now,) neither me or the bassist were the best musicians, but we'd been friends for years and had very similar tastes and somehow just clicked together, and ended up being pretty tight. That's one thing you should look for when you audition, this being your first audition, make sure you can get along well with the people in the band. In this respect, you are auditioning them as much as they are auditioning you.
As far as playing with the bassist, just listen to the sort of groove he's playing and play some simple beats along with it. If you feel confident enough, show off a little, but no-one likes a drummer who is too flashy for the sake of it
Enjoy it, playing in a band is fun, first and foremost
Have a good steady pulse in your drumming. While I am not advocating anyone sound like a drum machine, keeping a consistent pulse in your playing is important. Build your drum lines with the bass player from the kick drum up. Keep it simple but sweet until you get a sense of when they drop back and you can do fills and visa versa.
Hmmm thanks for the help/advise. I'm going to hopefully try to catch on what the bassist will be doing...let me just ask this question though...what about my bass drum vs his bass? Do both our bass patterns have to be the same/related. I nkow thats a stupid question but what exactly is the relationship?
--Gear--

Usually the bass drum will be playing relatively the same rhythm as the bassline, but not usually exactly the same, as to let it breathe. It's hard to explain, but when you come around to actually doing it, it's easy to pick up and flows naturally. The more you do it the easier it becomes the better it gets.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Phil Collins
Hmmm thanks for the help/advise. I'm going to hopefully try to catch on what the bassist will be doing...let me just ask this question though...what about my bass drum vs his bass? Do both our bass patterns have to be the same/related. I nkow thats a stupid question but what exactly is the relationship?

Don't worry too much about getting it bang on perfect, just go with it. If you playing with that bassist is "destined" to work, what will probably happen is you will just start playing and it will seem natural and easy, which is what happened to me and my bassist.
If you and the other members are having problems playing together and in time, then it probably won't work out. Just don't worry too much and go along with it, you'll probably be fine
As far as bass and drums meshing it's baisically a matter of matching the bass with the kick (not every note but the emphasized ones) and fitting into the groove. I'd love to be more specific but I don't really know anything about drumming

oh and listen to some chili peppers. Chad and Flea mesh as much as it's humanly possible to mesh. If you can get a groove like them going then you're guaranteed to get picked up.
no sig for joo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUGuF8hpMQs

Pay attention to the bass and drums in the intro sections. Stuff like that. During the somewhat faster part there seems to be a groove too.

Then when you get really good, you can speed it up to something like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqWrkVEQvI

See how in both parts the bass and drums are sorta mimicking the rhythms? Yeah, it's basically just like that. Most of the 2nd song is pretty groovy, too.

Other good examples in Atheist are so and so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfUWIU_l8Q
(One of the coolest bass riffs ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6b4DrMz2g
Go to 0:33 here. It's sorta hard to explain, but if you pay attention to stuff like that, you can get your own "sense" of it, I guess.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 29, 2009,
There's an awesome groove in Metallica's 'Battery' between the bass and drums, unfortunately Cliff is buried in the mix though. That would be a good idea for matching the bass and drums in a sense.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Steve08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUGuF8hpMQs

Pay attention to the bass and drums in the intro sections. Stuff like that. During the somewhat faster part there seems to be a groove too.

Then when you get really good, you can speed it up to something like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqWrkVEQvI

See how in both parts the bass and drums are sorta mimicking the rhythms? Yeah, it's basically just like that. Most of the 2nd song is pretty groovy, too.

Other good examples in Atheist are so and so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfUWIU_l8Q
(One of the coolest bass riffs ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6b4DrMz2g
Go to 0:33 here. It's sorta hard to explain, but if you pay attention to stuff like that, you can get your own "sense" of it, I guess.

Atheist was awesome. I WISH I could drum as good as Steve Flynn did. But your examples were helpful bro.
--Gear--

I've never imagined the situation from the drummers side.
I had always assumed that they laid the beat down and it was the bassists job to gel with them.

In one of the bands I'm currently in I can barely stand to look at my drummer.
He's one of those people that comes out with outrageous statements (Such as "deff leppard are playing at my rally this year, they do it every year") and insults everyones intelligence by expecting them to believe it. He also has terrible timing, so it's usually me and the rhythm guitar who carry the song.
Band practise today should be a laugh.
whatever you do in this band (if you get in thats if) make sure you stay in time with all there songs, dont try and do fills if u dont have too, u may lose the plot, just try keeping in time and u will be fine.
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
what kind of genre is this band you're auditioning for?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
what kind of genre is this band you're auditioning for?

It's sort of a mix between progressive rock and hard rock, with with some jazz thrown in there for fun. Thats all I can say because thats what the keyboard player said to me over the phone. However I will really find out for sure when I show up....
--Gear--

Since everyone's already mentioned most of it i'll just add this, when your drumming you should breath in time with your phrases, it'll improve your rhythm and beat 10 fold.

Learnt that from james morrison.
Quote by Phil Collins
Atheist was awesome. I WISH I could drum as good as Steve Flynn did. But your examples were helpful bro.
Was? Did? They reunited a couple years back.

BTW, this is also a good song to pay attention to the bass and drums in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NjgZdWfLY

Good luck on the audition though!
Good advice, Anarkee has the essence of it. You won't be able to do anything too clever with a bassist you haven't played with before anyway so just do the basics well when you are playing together. The best drummer to work with is one who keeps a solid rhythm and a rock solid beat. If I'm playing something tricky then I want my drummer to tell me where one ,two, three, and four are.

The other thing is to listen to what they say and ask. If they want louder give them louder. If they want quiet show them you have control and do that. This will make sense musically but remember that it is just as important to get along with each other as people if you're in a band so show you are easy to get along with and they are not just getting a big ego. If they like you then you are in.

Finally try and find out what you will be playing if you can.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun.
our drummer told me that he looks at my plucking fingers to get a feel for the rythym of the song. It might work for you.....
Last edited by WibbleWobble at Aug 31, 2009,
My advice, just from experience of playing with drummers; the rhythm has to be your primary concern. Don't try to wow them, hold down whatever rhythm you're hearing in what they're playing. If you're going to do fills, keep it consistent, so they still feel steady; I'd say play a fill every 4 or 8 measures, or any number as long as the other musicians will feel it, and be able to rely on it.
As mentioned above, find out what you'll be expected to play. If they're calling covers, get a set list or ask for 4-5 specific tunes to look at.
If they're doing originals, get a CD so you can get a feel for the material. Not unreasonable requests for an upcoming audition.

In general, remember to keep your mind, and more then anything, your ears open.
LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! Remember, it's not about you; it's about the rhythm section. And for the rhythm, it's about making the front man sound good (or the best he can).

And since you mentioned a little jazz for fun...
If some one looks at you and says "swing it", for cryin' out loud, take your foot off the peddle, and don't even think about playing four on the kick.

Good luck and have fun.
most drummers where i play at are pretty crap with tempo so i am sadly the backbone. the only drummer who is solid is some of the ones ive played with at church. but i like do know when i can feel the beat coming. i would think if the bass player and the drummer are feeling the music then it helps it mesh. also still for the drummer to be in time.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
My drummer is a jazz drummer playing in a rock/metal band :lol: so he doesn't hit hard. Just lock into the beat, lay the groove down and keep the beat.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

a bassists best friend on stage is really the drummer, these 2 keep everything flowing much better and keep the back en up.

If you hae a bassist and a drummer with little to no chemistry then its not gonna be as good.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
^agreed to an extent. There have been some cases in which there has been a less than ideal working relationship between the drummer and the bass player in bands. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker immediately come to mind as well as Pete Thomas and Bruce Thomas of the Attractions (Bruce allegedly flung a beer bottle at Pete's head during a recording session out of frustration), but yes, generally you really need to have a solid working relationship within the rhythm section for the rest of the band to build off from.
Quote by anarkee
^agreed to an extent. There have been some cases in which there has been a less than ideal working relationship between the drummer and the bass player in bands. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker immediately come to mind as well as Pete Thomas and Bruce Thomas of the Attractions (Bruce allegedly flung a beer bottle at Pete's head during a recording session out of frustration), but yes, generally you really need to have a solid working relationship within the rhythm section for the rest of the band to build off from.

Oh and don't forget Geezer and Bill from Sabbath.

Geezer would piss on Bill for being a drunk and Bill Ward always thought Geez was a loony....

But thanks for all the helpful responses so far their great. It is really starting to make me re think the role of the bassist and drummer now.
--Gear--

keep us posted on how the audition goes
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Play something that sounds good and don't get in the way of anyone's solos. In all fairness, since you're the foundation of the rhythm section it's the bassist who should be following you, so you don't have much to worry about if you're a good drummer.

Other useful things would be to listen closer to the way bass and drums mesh within songs when you listen to them. The bass will tend to play on the bass drum hits (although not ONLY on the bass drum hits).
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by herby190
So, have you had any parts of the audition yet?

Gonna be this friday actually. I'm shakin in my boots....
--Gear--

Quote by Phil Collins
Gonna be this friday actually. I'm shakin in my boots....
Then put your boots on the bass pedal; it might make a cool intro.
Quote by herby190
Well, it's Saturday now; how'd it go?

Well I went to the audition last night and I think it turned out good, mostly...

I say mostly because there were certain times when I'd get thrown for a loop with certain parts the bassist/vocalist would pull off. Seems he was pulling off lots of 16th/32nd note runs ala death metal style with odd time siged jazz stuff spaced in between. Oh and I guess he's a total David Vincent (Morbid Angel) junky...voice and all...

Literally the first thing he says to me is "dude, can you pull off blast beats?"

Uh oh..

..seems like I'm gonna have to dust off the old double pedal for the next rehearsal....

I did get the gig BTW, but I still need work getting it "down" with the bass player, and I still have yet to practice with the guitarist (he wasn't there on the audition), so hopefully I'll be more in sync...

Overall it went good though, I did what you guys suggested and not worried about "showing off" but just tried build a good foundation with him more then anything. The Keyboardist just sort of floated around

Oh, and for the bass forum's intersted his gear was pretty sick. He had a Warwick Fortress and a B.C RichIronBird usa bass going through an SVT8PRO w/8X10 cab... and a crap load o pedals.....

Seems like I'm gonna have to start listening to some more death metal.
--Gear--

Last edited by Phil Collins at Sep 5, 2009,