i saw a guy selling a Marahall Jcm900 in the classifieds today for $600 and im wondering if the 900 series is any different then the 800's?
800 sounds more like the 80s, 900 more like the 90s.

/knows jack **** about JCMs.
ಠ_ಠ
I'm no expert, and I'm sure there's someone better qualified to answer you, but I think the 900 is basically a higher-gain version of the 800.
Th JCM 800 is the defining sound of 80s music (hair metal/thrash). It is a very dynamic amp that cleans up just by picking lightly. These are, in general, not that high gain, despite it being written on them. Depending on the model, you'll need a boost for anything more than "rock."

The 900 is a much more modern-voiced amp that has a major love/hate thing going for it. The Dual Reverbs are the most common ones and aren't liked by many, the MKIII and SL-X are widely consider the best of the series, as they are very similar to the 800, but with more gain on tap. All versions have much more gain on tap than the 800s and are able to do modern hard rock without a boost.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Th JCM 800 is the defining sound of 80s music (hair metal/thrash). It is a very dynamic amp that cleans up just by picking lightly. These are, in general, not that high gain, despite it being written on them. Depending on the model, you'll need a boost for anything more than "rock."

The 900 is a much more modern-voiced amp that has a major love/hate thing going for it. The Dual Reverbs are the most common ones and aren't liked by many, the MKIII and SL-X are widely consider the best of the series, as they are very similar to the 800, but with more gain on tap. All versions have much more gain on tap than the 800s and are able to do modern hard rock without a boost.

this
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
who says JCM 800s have no gain?
Alexi Laiho uses them
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
who says JCM 800s have no gain?
Alexi Laiho uses them

He said unboosted - I'm quite sure that Laiho pushes his signal. Most of the guys using the 2203s for metal have had them modded with extra gain stages anyways.

There's a lot of 800s for 90s tones as well. Kurt Cobain; Billy Corgan (KT88s); I think Billy Joe has sporadically used one too, but he mostly sticks to his Super Lead.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.