does anyone know if Ernie Ball strings, gauged .010-.052 would be good for drop D tuning?
yes.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
they will work for drop c, but not as well as strings that are guaged heavier.

The heavier the guage the better they work for guitars tuned low.

Pretty much anything works well for drop d though.

Ive personally found that drop D works absolutely wonderfully if your get a .10-.52 set and instead of putting the 52 on, put one guage higher, or even a B string for a 7 string guitar.

Makes it slightly tighter, so it doesnt feel like your top stirngs looser than the rest of them, but thats never really notcible anyways.

Be sure not to get really heavy guage strings meant for tuning low (like drop c) and one day decide to tune to D or standard, becuase those heavy strings will start to hollow out your bridge when they are really tight.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Aug 29, 2009,
maybe try some D'Addario 12-54's. I use them in C standard and they are perfect. Switching from 10's to 12's made my amp sound 100% better.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by carr4600
what sizes would be ideal for drop D

personal preference really. i use .11's.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i use ernie ball o.10s and they sound really muddy in anything lower than D tuning
drop d would be fine, but drop c wont
im swithching to 0.11s for drop C
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal