the book says to play an accompaniment chord with a quarter rest symbol on the top of a melody, you first pluck the melody and while it rings the time of the rest symbol (quarter rest), you play the remaining chord.

but i saw a chord with a quarter rest symbol on the bottom of it on a measure and another case a quarter rest note on the bottom of a quarter note, how do you play these?
Last edited by DisSatisfaction at Aug 30, 2009,
I honestly don't know what you mean... Poorly explained.

Pic?
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
^ I know my way around sheet music, but I really don't get it...
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by BlisteringDDj
^ I know my way around sheet music, but I really don't get it...

do you know what is a melody note with an accompaniment chord, the melody note has a quarter rest note on the top which means to pick the melody note first and while it rings the time of the rest note (quarter rest) the chord is played while the melody still rings such as;

half note (melody) of C in the C major chord, with quarter rest on top of melody and the rest of the chord played after the melody rings the requred time of the quarter rest note...
1. play melody note.
2. ring for a quarter or one beat in a 4/4
3. then play chord, while melody still rings.

but the different scenario is that i found the quarter rest on the bottom of some quarter notes of a chord. what does it mean?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. So you only have one staff with the melody, and the chords written on top? Or are you talking piano?
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
I think I might know what you mean. The rest note under the chord is simply a melody pause.

If that's incorrect, please give me a picture...
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Aug 30, 2009,
I've seen that type of stuff on a lot of piano works, and 4-part choral music. My basic understanding is that if it's on the rest is on the bottom, then you play the chord before it up until the rest and then stop it while the melody on top is still playing. And vice-versa if it's on the top.
Quote by BlisteringDDj
I think I might know what you mean. The rest note under the chord is simply a melody pause.

If that's incorrect, please give me a picture...

this. it is simply separating the chordal and melody parts, but keeping them on the same staff. It is an easier way of showing how long the chord is expected to last in proportion to the melody.

It's like on piano where you have the bass staff and treble. But in this case the author has condensed it into one staff.