ALright, i'm sure this has been asked as many times as there are stars in the sky, but what is the correct way to slap and pop? I've checked you tube and no dice so far. I can pop the strings with my finger(s) ok, but its my slapping part I can't seem to master. Am I supposed to:

Slap the string downward (as if I were using a pick)
Slap the string against the pickup
Or Slap it away from the pickup (popping basicly).

Thanks.
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
smack the string with the side of your thumb, it should make a nice little click against the frets.
Quote by RHCPFitz
smack the string with the side of your thumb, it should make a nice little click against the frets.

ok, thanks!!

(\__/)
I tried my hand at slap for the first time today. (excuse the pun)

I'm gonna need a lot of practice.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Les Paul Special II 2006 Limited Edition Skull
Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith
Epiphone Embassy Standard IV Walnut

Slap with your thumb in that location. As the technique's name implies, slap the string with the middle of your thumb. Have you arm parallel to the strings. It's hard to explain over the internet.
That makes sense enough

Thanks guys. Helped alot!!!

(\__/)
Bear in mind that slap and pop is one of those things that, unfortunately, does sound a hell of a lot better on higher end gear- especially the slapping part. Don't worry if you're not getting the perfect tone you will probably have seen on youtube etc, who knows what they're playing through.

Good luck man, I'm just learning to slap myself.
Quote by Fraztastick
Bear in mind that slap and pop is one of those things that, unfortunately, does sound a hell of a lot better on higher end gear- especially the slapping part. Don't worry if you're not getting the perfect tone you will probably have seen on youtube etc, who knows what they're playing through.

Good luck man, I'm just learning to slap myself.

Ok, thanks. Good luck to you too!!! Note, not the band )

(\__/)
when i was tought to slap, i was told to use the "thumbs up" aproach. which basically just means to hold your thumb parallel to the strings so you dont hit more than one when you slap. and keep your fingers curled, but not clenched.
where you hit the strings could vary as well. i play a fender jazz and i have to slap at the very bass of the neck so the strings dont hit the top pickup and go "PAH!"
Quote by thunderkix
when i was tought to slap, i was told to use the "thumbs up" aproach. which basically just means to hold your thumb parallel to the strings so you dont hit more than one when you slap. and keep your fingers curled, but not clenched.
where you hit the strings could vary as well. i play a fender jazz and i have to slap at the very bass of the neck so the strings dont hit the top pickup and go "PAH!"

thanks!!

(\__/)
Quote by vonroden
Pop with the middle finger

I'll try that.

(\__/)
Learn to pop with all your fingers. I do mainly middle, but when it's faster stuff, I have to use index, middle and ring.

I usually wear my bass pretty high up when I slap. My thumb makes like a 30 degrees angles and it feels good for me. You don't have to be parallel.

I usually slap right at the bottom of the neck. I'm actually hitting the neck. I get a better sound that way.
Thanks guys I'm getting better already!!!

(\__/)