my name is frankie and i have been playing guitar for 6 years.
i know the basics of the electronic side of guitar but i have recently come across a problem that i dont know how to solve and i was hoping someone could help me.

I started off with a strat that i plated through a tiny squire amp and i had no problems whatsoever. I later got myself a tokai copy of the gibson les paul that i played through a "backstage peavy". I noticed a quiet buzzing that was intensified when distortion was added but cut out when i touched the strings, pups, tuning pegs or anything metal on the guitar. I also received a small static shock from the metal parts sometimes. I presumed this was the guitar but did nothing about it. I was also at the time using a korg AX3G effects pedal. I then got a really old roland DAC-15, but its works fine.
Last week i got myself an epiphone dot. I had a similar problem to my tokai but extremely intensified to the point where it was unbearable. I changed leads and amps and finally I presumed this was due to a problem with wiring in the guitar and so i took it back to the shop and swapped it for another which i tested in the shop to make sure all was in order. When returned home i found the problem was still present and decided to change extension leads, sockets and even move the amp around the house but the problem still remains the same.

I have been told this is an earthing problem but i am still unsure as to the precise problem and would be extremely grateful for any help or advice on how to fix this problem.
Thanks
Frankie
X
Last edited by franksta at Aug 29, 2009,
I believe the common term is "grounding", not "earthing". The control cavity may not be shielded properly, or the wire to ground the electronics is either messed up or nonexistent. I wouldn't know how to guide you through fixing it, but I think that's a general summary of the problem.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
If you have buzzing when the distortion that stops when you touch something metal, thats normal. You could shield the cavities in your guitar, that should help.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Rogue Hermit
I believe the common term is "grounding", not "earthing". The control cavity may not be shielded properly, or the wire to ground the electronics is either messed up or nonexistent. I wouldn't know how to guide you through fixing it, but I think that's a general summary of the problem.

The proper terminology when referring to any electrical path to ground is earthing.

Grounding is just the common version.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The proper terminology when referring to any electrical path to ground is earthing.

Grounding is just the common version.

Okay, my mistake. Sorry, OP. I just hadn't really heard "earthing" before, but I guess I was wrong...
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
the power in the house might be bad. try the amp guitar somewhere else if you can to see if it stops.
A bad guitar ground can give you noise but shouldnt actually shock you. And as you have tried 2 new guitars and it happens with your older 1 its probably something else. A house I lived in had screwy wiring and my amps would buzz alot. Longer you played louder it got. I had to fix the copper ground rod pounded into the yard near the power box to remedy the problem.
The house I lived in only had 2 conductor wiring, standard in 1948. A room addition had regular 3 prong outlets and 3 conductor wiring but nobody ever installed a ground rod. I just went and bought 1 hammered it into the ground and ran a bare copper wire to where it needed to go at the breaker box.

The connections can corrode over time may be your problem. Or just poor install not at all uncommon in houses.