I hold it between my thumb and index finger with it pointing up the neck of the guitar ever so slightly, just enough so that it's not facing dead on with the flat body on the guitar. When I'm practising on a metronome, string skipping, just doing scales or practising in general, I can't get comfortable at all. I move it around, try different picks, hold it tighter, hold it looser, but it just doesn't seem to work. It often feels weird going through strings, as if there's A LOT of resistance. Been playing for about 8 months now, but I practice a lot and it really feels as if this holding me back.

Short Version: No matter what I try, I can't get comfortable with the pick or my general hand position. Please give me a thorough as you can explanation of every aspect of it (Specifically what I'd need for Alternate Picking)
It often feels weird going through strings, as if there's A LOT of resistance.

Unless you're really digging in, a lot of that resistance is due to tension in your arm - not the strings or anything. Use only the last couple of millimeters of the pick and make sure you're as loose as possible.

Please give me a thorough as you can explanation of every aspect of it (Specifically what I'd need for Alternate Picking)

That's pretty fruitless, in my experience.

Here's a simple way to figure out how to hold the pick -

Relax your hand completely.

Place pick between SIDE of last index joint and PAD of last thumb joint.

That's it.

For right hand position, you really have to experiment with fine adjustment - assuming you've seen my basic posture vid, of course.
Quote by Torked
I hold it between my thumb and index finger with it pointing up the neck of the guitar ever so slightly, just enough so that it's not facing dead on with the flat body on the guitar. When I'm practising on a metronome, string skipping, just doing scales or practising in general, I can't get comfortable at all. I move it around, try different picks, hold it tighter, hold it looser, but it just doesn't seem to work. It often feels weird going through strings, as if there's A LOT of resistance. Been playing for about 8 months now, but I practice a lot and it really feels as if this holding me back.

Short Version: No matter what I try, I can't get comfortable with the pick or my general hand position. Please give me a thorough as you can explanation of every aspect of it (Specifically what I'd need for Alternate Picking)

have you tried using driffrent picks .. i use Jazz III's theyre the most confy for me
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
maybe keep trying different pick sizes and hand positions. Maybe try guitars with different bridges too. When I first started playing, picks seemed odd to hold too, although I got over it quickly. Have you tried using your thumb or fingerpicking?
try and hold the pick with your middle finger and thumb. or use your middle finger and your index finger together. relax your hand as well. you dont have to squeez harder, if anything, that will fatigue your hand.
There's one question that might help if answered though, how much of the pick should be sticking out, and how much of that should I be using? I've heard Paul Gilbert angles it, is that a good techique, how do I keep my hand in a position to do that?

I've used Jazz III's, some thin Gibson ones, Dunlop Tortex, and currently trying out Paul Gilbert signature picks. I've tried exactly what freepower said but I just can't seem to keep the pick in my hand without shifting it about often.

I'm terrible at fingerpicking, and don't get me wrong, my picking isn't the worst. I just really can't get comfortable with it.

Thanks for the replies
picking and finger picking take time to work at it. once, i found a really comfortable position for my guitar pick, and i drew on it with a pencil the outline of my fingers, and i'm pretty sure that's how i got used to holding my pick. however much of the pick you would like to stick out and use is personal preference.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143