I want to know if you guys have any tips on writing a good screamo song on guitar (like The Devil Wears Prada)

I'm in Drop D and also how can I write a cool breakdown?

E|------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----5---7-----8-----10---8---7-5---------------------|
D|-0-0---0---0-0---0-0----0---0-------------------------|

E|-------0-------0-----0--------------------------------|
B|-------6-------6-----6--------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------|
D|-0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0----------------------------------|
A|-0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0----------------------------------|
D|-0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0----------------------------------|

There, I've just written you every screamo song ever. Keep it.
Get your strap down by your knees, tune down to B standard and the inspiration will come, trust me.
Listen to a hell lot of screamo, and iif you haven't committed suicide yet, you should have a lot of inspiration to make "good" screamo riffs.

just kidding about the suicide part
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 29, 2009,
Drop D isn't good for metalcore. Go with D standard or Drop C. But you said you want it like TDWP, and they play Drop D, so take your pick. But play from bands that you like and take inspiration from that. And learn music theory.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Just learn do some triplets on your low string.

as for breakdowns, use odd timings, and not just 4/4. 4/4 is good if you can make it interesting though.

You can also layer a lead over a simple breakdown and make it sound more interesting, bands like august burns red and such do things like that.

TDWP isnt screamo, its metalcore :P I love metalcore, you guys should listen to a band called "oh, sleeper" any guitarist will appreciate them.

edit: also, i dont think it matters what tuning you are in , if you use the correct modes and scales.

throw some dimished arpeggios in there, and it wont matter what tuning you're in. it'll sound brutal
Last edited by penguinfeet at Aug 29, 2009,
all you have to do to write a scremo song is just suck at everything musical its not that hard. just use only one finger for the entire song
I love how half the time when someone asks an honest question, all they get is smartass replies. The guys asks for help and gets a bunch of dumb ****s saying stupid crap.
Last edited by MicahChaney at Aug 29, 2009,
to give a serious answer not some lame smart ass one. its not very hard, triplets and so on can give an interesting sound. most people palm mute opens. I'd try to not use muted opens much since there so over used (thus make you look like a unskilled player). but best way to learn any genre of music is to look at tab's see what bands you like do. and then try and put your own twist on it.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
CHUG CHUG SQUEAL etc....
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
When I hear screamo and "cookie monster" stuff it makes me feel old, like "i don't get what the kids are doing these days." People probably thought the same thing when I was a teenager in the 80's listening to Metallica and Slayer.
Last edited by jsepguitar at Aug 30, 2009,
ITT: People that don't know what screamo music is, including TS.

Anyway, unfortunately you can't just dive into theory with the apporach of "How do I write Screamo music?" because you'll find there is no quick way to learn how to write almost any music. I suggest you learn music theory and then when you feel ready try and apply it to the music you want to write.

Unfair on the poor guy that he came here asking for help and you all just bashed his music taste.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Try and learn a lot of songs that you like and think have good riffs, if you don't want to learn the full song just learn the particular riff that you like, eventually after a lot of learning and practice, writing music should be a breeze

Another idea is start a band or find another guitarist who is interested in the same type of music as you. I've always found that playing with another guitarist helps me produce new music because 2 minds are usually better than 1 (unless they're crap).

Hope this helps
Quote by willT08
Get your strap down by your knees, tune down to B standard and the inspiration will come, trust me.

No, he said Sceamo, not Amon Amarth.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
i didnt know people still listen to screamo. this thread died 4 months ago.

-use minor second intervals as randomely as you can make it.
-drop c or d.
-use minor keys such as the note you're dropped to.
-pedal point on the low string
Quote by Ackj
Since regular black metal bands burn churches, Christian black metal means they burn mosques and synagogues.

Quote by Rick540
I play in drop F. When I chug on the 6th string the floor splits open and satan crawls out.
The Devil Wears Prada is metalcore, not screamo. -_-

I hate when people associate any music that has screaming with screamo.

Everyone needs to stop bagging on this guy's taste though.

Here's my advice:
Learn some songs from genres you like, and you'll begin to understand how they're written. Hopefully you know some theory.