Page 1 of 2
Hey, i'm in the process of looking for a new amp. What i need is something i can run at practices but also bust out live. The Mini-Stack seems like a great idea and for £389 at my local store seems like a bargain if it's any good. Just wondering if anyone owns one or has played one and whether they'd recommend it? Currently i play a Vintage VS6 which i'm in the process of modifying. By the end it will have JB & 59 pups and 500k/1000k (if thats the right measurement) pots.
If you want a clean tone over the drummer, you're probably not going to get one, as the blackstar breaks up at around 1 o'clock apparently.

Otherwise, they are good amps.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Buy the combo and a mic if I were you.

Neither the combo or mini stack are loud enough for gigs on their own, and the combo is far easier to carry around. With the money you save you can buy an SM57 or some pedals.

If you want a clean tone over the drummer, you're probably not going to get one, as the blackstar breaks up at around 1 o'clock apparently.

Picking hard enough you can get them to break up when you can barely hear it. However, as long as you're not thrashing it, it's loud enough to be mic'd and maintain a clean sound.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Last edited by Juadafi at Aug 29, 2009,
True stuff about the output. Ermm, so any combo amps that would be just as good? Preferably louder. I've looked into a Valveking before.
Quote by willT08
True stuff about the output. Ermm, so any combo amps that would be just as good? Preferably louder. I've looked into a Valveking before.

Did you not read my post?

HT-5. Combo.
valve king will definately be louder. but ive heard it really does need to be upgraded like tubes and speaker to shine. also expect an od to tighten the lead channel.
Yeah, i heard that as well from people. Maybe i could just buy the HT-5 head and a 4x12 Cab. But then i've got nowhere to put a 4x12 anyway. How about the Bugera 6260-212? Maybe not loud enough for live stuff but i'm sure i could get it mic'ed somehow.
Quote by willT08
Yeah, i heard that as well from people. Maybe i could just buy the HT-5 head and a 4x12 Cab. But then i've got nowhere to put a 4x12 anyway. How about the Bugera 6260-212? Maybe not loud enough for live stuff but i'm sure i could get it mic'ed somehow.

There is no hope.
Lolwut? Why. Ah, i guess i could mic the Mini-Stack as well. Oh, is it for the bandwaggoning because i listen to people's opinions. Dude, it's what they're there for. I haven't completely dismissed the option. My plan for you:

1. Lift leg up and over

2. Descend from High Horse
Quote by willT08
Lolwut? Why. Ah, i guess i could mic the Mini-Stack as well. Oh, is it for the bandwaggoning because i listen to people's opinions. Dude, it's what they're there for. I haven't completely dismissed the option. My plan for you:

1. Lift leg up and over

2. Descend from High Horse

You're ignorant. If you want my help and are willing to read what I have to say, then please, say.
Last edited by Juadafi at Aug 29, 2009,
well for smaller gigs a 1x12 50watt or higher combo would be loud enough and i wouldnt wana mess around with micing for small gigs anyways. well, i dont have much experience thats the reason why i wouldnt.
Quote by willT08
I'd be interested very much in your opinions, would you care to voice them?

Sure.

If I were you, as stated in my original post, I would buy the HT-5 combo amp as well as a decent mic. If you can't always play somewhere where there is a good PA, or you don't want to fuss around with micing things, the 6260 combo is more than loud enough for pretty much any venue.

I'd go with the 6260 if you desperately need the clean headroom. However, the Ht-5 is more versatile, because you can get its "sweet spot" at lower volumes, suitable for your house maybe.

It's tone preference really. The HT-5 and a mic is the same price as a 6260 new...

.. I think
The HT-5 and Bugera are very close in price new anyway, also i wouldn't have a chance to play a Bugera before i bought it which leans me towards the Mini. I wouldn't need the clean headroom at all really as i mainly play on distortion and when i do use Cleans i drop the volume anyway to make a very clear contrast. How far can it go clean before you get break up? Also, i just love the look of the Mini. I really want to buy the Mini but if there's better alternatives i'd stray away.
Just get the head and shop for a nice 112 or 212.
The head's £250. Also, i don't really get Cabs. Like, what Cabs work with what heads?
Quote by willT08
The head's £250. Also, i don't really get Cabs. Like, what Cabs work with what heads?

Any cab will work with any head, in theory.

In practice, you need to match ohms. If the ohms on your cab is 8, you need to make sure the amp has an 8ohm output, especially if it's a tube amp.
Quote by willT08

any cab can work with any head as long as the cab has a higher or equal Wattage than the Head and it must mach the impedance(sp?)

the 6262 and the HT-5 are two different things.

if you need something to gig with w/o using a mic or hoping that the venue has a PA then get the 6262 BUT keep the warranty since it breaks down easily.

the HT-5 is overhyped here IMO. its versatile but its meh sounding to me..
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by willT08

Cab with X amount of ohms will work with head with equal amount of ohms. The casual number is 16, 8, and 4, and most cabs and heads support all three. You really only need a stack if you tend to gig, the size cab is up to you and depending on the size of your gigs.

In a basic way, that's how they work with each other. I'm not in the mood to explain every little factor of amp heads and cabinets.

EDIT: Alf's everywhere.

And my opinion of the Blackstar, an overhyped toy with a stature only slighty better than the Orange Tiny Terror, made to give users the satisfaction of owning a tube amp/halfstack, mainly beginners. Because of the low wattage, tube quality sound, players with little room to jam with amps of higher wattage buy it, just to have something to jam on without having to resort to a crappy SS amp(there are good SS amps, they're just rarely good at low wattage). I might buy one since I'm going away to college and it can handle my gain needs decently, but would I use it regularly? Hell no.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 29, 2009,
That's enough for me, i get you. So, i need a Head and a Cab for small live gigs. HT-5 looks good except for the headroom. All i need is a fair amount of gain, nothing brutal, some nice clean sounds that can get loud enough to get over drums and just a pretty nice amount of headroom. I'm willing to spend around £400-500 for the head and cab.
Quote by willT08
That's enough for me, i get you. So, i need a Head and a Cab for small live gigs. HT-5 looks good except for the headroom. All i need is a fair amount of gain, nothing brutal, some nice clean sounds that can get loud enough to get over drums and just a pretty nice amount of headroom. I'm willing to spend around £400-500 for the head and cab.

what genres do you play?
can you go used?
can you go combo?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by willT08

Cabs, you should check Avatar.

Can't think of many heads that can get over a drummer in that price range, you might as well just crank the Blackstar during practice sessions (which won't work too well at all) and mic for future gigs. Otherwise, save up for a higher wattage head, or troll Craigslist/Amazon/whatever for a good deal on a good head.

In this case though, you don't need a head and cab. B-52 AT 112 or 212 combo will be right up your alley, and 60W (100W in the case of the 212) tube power will be plenty to get over a drummer and play small gigs.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 29, 2009,
Get a bigger amp if playing over drums is a prerequisite.
If you need to get over drums than the amplifier that's marketed specifically towards studio work and bedroom practices won't be for you.

Oh, I'm talking about the HT-5. Unless you mic it you won't be able to hold your own in a band situation - end of story.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Ok, the HT-5 is a practice and recording amp, and for those two uses, it works well and sounds reasonably good, great if you take into the account that it's a $300 amp. Imo, looking at it as anything else though, you're going to be somewhat disappointed. I've played and cranked the amp before and I have reservations about how it'd sound in a live mix and to play anything but very small gigs, would require it to be mic'ed because it is not very loud at all and would not suffice if you had a particularly loud drummer.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 29, 2009,
Okay then, let's assume i'd go used, preferably not combo but if i had to i will. What would you recommend. Are we back to the Bugera again?
Bugera is pretty good bang for your buck and they have amps now to fit pretty much any style.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Ermm...i think i read something about the Peavey Windsor in this thread. Anyone own one who can give a quick review. Thing is it's "single channel". I have no idea what the implications of this are so help is needed.
I own a HT-5s Mini Stack and am very happy with it. BUT...it does not have much clean headroom at all, and I'm not sure the overdrive channel, as good as it sounds and as versatile as it is, could get you over a drummer. Mic'd...sure.

I've run it into a number of different cabs...a Bugera 4 x 12 (sounds best with this), a Behringer 4 x 12 w/Jensens and a AT212 combo cab that is now just a speaker cab (the amp was made into a head). It gains volume and body with the 4 x12 Bugera over the 2 x 10" cabs that come with it. Depending on the guitar, they are not that full sounding.

The B-52 AT212 would blow everyone out of most any room with a HUGE low end, with the volume capabilities it has. Clean, it is fantastic, but I was never happy with the two gain channels, even with tube changes. So if you go this route, use the clean channel and run an OD pedal.

I've got a Bugera V55HD coming mid-week and at 55 watts it should do the deed in most venues. If the 4 x 12 is too big, then you might check out a couple of Blackheart 12" cabs ($160 or so each) with Eminence speakers inside. I played through one (with a Handsome Devil) and thought it sounded very good and much fuller than the Blackstar cabs.
Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Valve Junior/Bitmo Modded
Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
Quote by willT08
Ermm...i think i read something about the Peavey Windsor in this thread. Anyone own one who can give a quick review. Thing is it's "single channel". I have no idea what the implications of this are so help is needed.

Someone on another forum just got one and thought it was awful....but that's just an opinion.
Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
Did he say what his problem with it was? like, was it a tone problem or like technical faults?

EDIT: Once you get you're Bugera could you PM me a quick review?
Last edited by willT08 at Aug 29, 2009,
I'll have a Windsor by this time tomorrow. So I'll come comment then.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by willT08
Did he say what his problem with it was? like, was it a tone problem or like technical faults?

EDIT: Once you get you're Bugera could you PM me a quick review?

I don't remember...just that he didn't like it.

I'll be doing a full review in the Bugera thread when the V55HD arrives and I've run it in for a few days. Look for it next Friday or so.
Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
Sweet ch0. Could you PM your general thoughts whenever you get a chance. All i'm worried about is Headroom, Low End, Cleans and how thick the distortion can get. Other than that just an idea of what you can coax out of it.
Windsor comment:

Got a Peavey Windsor from MF today...plugged it into my cab with great anticipation and................................sounded like ****. hardly any signal at all even cranked. i tried different cables, I know the cab is fine. so much for my experimentation with peavey.
Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
Finally got to fire up my HT5 hooked up to my Krank cab.. Was pretty impressed let me tell ya and once you boost the thing it really comes alive. Honestly one of the better tones I have heard and I have played some pretty expensive sh!t.

Also have a Peavey Windsor on its way. But haven't played it so couldnt tell ya much about it right now other then its dirt cheap
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 29, 2009,
I did a Bitmo mod to my V1 Valve Junior today and it's much better. Just quit playing, and it's only at just past 9 o'clock and running a MXR Classic Distortion at just over a quarter of the way, with a Line 6 Constrictor into a HAO Rust Booster, fairly cranked and then a Line6 Echo Park. This is into a Behringer 4 x 12 w/Jensens and it JUST KILLS! Loud!

If I really cranked the VJ the paint would peel off the walls, I swear...

The boost pedal rocks...
Benford Strat x 2
Burton Strat
Burton Tele
Malden Karma
Lawrence Tele
Squier Deluxe Strat

Bugera V55HD/412H-BK
That was all lovely to know but i don't get your point. Are you saying that the V1 should be considered or what?
Page 1 of 2