i'm looking for an amp that has a really good blues/classic rock tone, and nice cleans. Also something with enough bite to get a hard rock feel. I don't need anything extremely loud, just something to play around with (im not playing shows anytime soon)

I want a combo amp, because i have no need for a stack. Also it doesn't matter if its tube or solid state, however i would like someone to explain some of the pros and cons of having a tube amp vs. a solid state

All this for $300-$350

I know the best method for finding the amp i want is to try em out myself, but im just looking for a place to start
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Can you go used? If so, a Peavey Classic 30 would be right up your alley..
Great for Blues and Classic Rock.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Vox AC4, I really wish people would stop recommending the classic 30 when it is obviously too loud considering he doesn't gig.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
The AC4 is a great amp for practice.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
yes, but try and find a push pull amp with good tone that is under 30 watts. it's hard to do, and basically a/b amps give the classic 'rock sound'. now, given, the classic rock sound is more like a pair of el34's combined in push/pull, but that makes 50 watts usually which is even more unreasonable than 30. so if you ask me, the peavey classic 30 is probably the quietest push pull amp you gonna find that isn't a pair of 6v6's. and 6v6's are heavily equated with american low wattage fenders, like princetons. personally i think a pair of 6v6's can give a good rock tone though.

so there you have it, the lowest wattage class a/b(aka push/pull) amp you can find has a pair of 6v6 power amp tubes and will be rated for around 18 to 22 watts. but the more classic rock amp is 2xel34's in an a/b amp.

now that doesn't mean a single el84 that makes 5 to 7 watts won't work for rock, or a 15 watt 2xel84 setup won't work, or a vox ac15. these are all class a amps(aka single ended), and class a doesn't quite have the punch and attack that is sometimes expected in harder rock music. but will they work? hell yeah, i use the hell out of my orange TT, and imo it has more than enough gain for the rock music that i play.

there are lots of resources that explain the difference between SS and tube amp designs better than we could discuss them here. and besides, there is a lot of knowledgable people here, but there is also a lot of BS and opinion you don't need to filter out if you aren't knowledgable on the subject matter.

i will say i like tube amps better myself, so that ac4 would be pretty good, the epiphone valve jr., the 'soon to be released' epiphone valve sr., or a black heart killer ant would all be lower wattage tube amps. but i must warn you, even 5 to 7 watts is more volume than you would think.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The little gretsch amp and the fender champ 600 are very nice as well
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Epiphone Valve Senior.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^you haven't tried it out yet, so how can you recommend it?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex

I recommend that the OP try it out. Even if I haven't tried it, you can tell that some amps will be good for certain things.

I maintain that people should ALWAYS try things out when suggested it by an internet forum. Even if I had tried it and liked the amp, the OP might not.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by k7apex

This is the worst place I've seen on the net for this kind of crap.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
This is the worst place I've seen on the net for this kind of crap.

for this kinda crap do you mean recommending amps not out yet, or quasi needless hair splitting.

i find the hair splitting annoying, the recommending amps they haven't played thing will at least draw my attention to the product anyway.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yea well sometimes praticallity beats how "good" it sounds. Seriously there are some great lower wattage tube amps i.e. the vox ac4, blackstar ht-5, blackheart little giant etc. and these can all get great "rock" tones so.....
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
fender super champ XD: a really nice semi-tube with some great voicings and effects.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by FishStik
fender super champ XD: a really nice semi-tube with some great voicings and effects.
This +1
Quote by gumbilicious
yes, but try and find a push pull amp with good tone that is under 30 watts.

Blackstar HT5...

Not really what he's looking for, just saying that they exist.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top (Wine red)
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
EHX Little Big Muff
EHX Small Clone
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
Quote by FishStik

The tubes make the SCXD have some really orgasmic-sounding cleans as well as overdrives/distortions. Even on Channel 1 (all-tube, no effects) it sounds really good. You can get really loud with the overdrives too if you want. Right now when I practice the volume is only at 2 and it's already loud enough.

The digital part is there for the effects and voicings: the reverb effects are really high quality, and you can get anywhere from a subtle to a hall shaking reverb with a turn of the knob. There's a nifty Leslie-type effect that adds some cool variants to your tone, and there are also some delay, chorus and tremolo effects that can be very useful.

There are 16 preset 'voices' including metal, jazz, British OD, Hendrix-esque fuzz, acoustic simulator, and more; they all sound nice. I personally like to use Voice 9 for really overdriven stuff like Van Halen, etc.

So pretty much you get the best of both worlds with the SCXD; the awesome tone of a tube amp combined with the versatility of a digital amp, all for $300- your asking price. Check here and the UG reviews for all the features; I've only brushed over a few.

Hope I helped!
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by FishStik

this.
I'm happy to own one, really nice sounding amp!
Control your destiny.
I like marshall amps.
The MG amps I like.

Even the Marshall MS-4 amps are good and if you mic it up (in a different room) and then plug it into your computer and turn up the speakers to the max (I use m-audio) it will blow your mind!

Anyway,
I like MG's but I'm not sure.
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green