Well, I was debatinr re-vamping the electronics on my Ibanez. Copper tape everywhere, cleaner, and most importantly, new capacitors. I am going to change it to 2 tone knob, and 1 volume. So, what would be the main difference in used silver mica, glass, or orange drop capacitors? And also, could I give them a slightly higher rating (just on the bridge) if I wanted to experiment (without tone-sucking when the knob is at 10). Thank you in advance.

Edit: WTF? http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-capacitors-etc-ep-4056-000,Product.asp

$60? Must be some good ****? Or a waste of money to the max?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 29, 2009,
A higher rated cap equals more treble rolled off when you roll down the knob, so a .47uf rolls more treble off then .22uf.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Well, I was debatinr re-vamping the electronics on my Ibanez. Copper tape everywhere, cleaner, and most importantly, new capacitors. I am going to change it to 2 tone knob, and 1 volume. So, what would be the main difference in used silver mica, glass, or orange drop capacitors? And also, could I give them a slightly higher rating (just on the bridge) if I wanted to experiment (without tone-sucking when the knob is at 10). Thank you in advance.
The cap won't do much when the knob is at 10, anyway.

The benefits of capacitor types in guitars is highly over-hyped. You aren't passing the signal through it like you would be in a coupling capacitor in an amp. You're shunting the highs to ground with it, that's all.

Here's some nice work done by Steve Bench: The "Sound" of Capacitors
It will give you an idea of the differences between different types of caps.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Alright, thanks. Honestly, I didnt figure it would make much of a difference, but I need soldering experience?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Alright, thanks. Honestly, I didnt figure it would make much of a difference, but I need soldering experience?
get some soldering experience from building a pedal or mini-amp?
or reworking a pawn-shop guitar?
the shielding will be a good move, though.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Edit: WTF? http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-capacitors-etc-ep-4056-000,Product.asp

$60? Must be some good ****? Or a waste of money to the max?
The latter.

Google "bumblebee cap" + "guitar" and I'll guarantee you can find idiots who will tell you how this gives them godly tone and "sparkle". Trust me, it makes virtually no difference unless you turn the tone knob down. And then you aren't going to have sparkle, ya know?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
get some soldering experience from building a pedal or mini-amp?
or reworking a pawn-shop guitar?
the shielding will be a good move, though.

The latter.

Google "bumblebee cap" + "guitar" and I'll guarantee you can find idiots who will tell you how this gives them godly tone and "sparkle". Trust me, it makes virtually no difference unless you turn the tone knob down. And then you aren't going to have sparkle, ya know?

Yeah, I will hit up BYOC eventually, but I'm a bit scared? Guess I just don't like things I'm not good at yet...

Bumblee capacitors do sound fairly retarded. But I am pretty sure, especially by the graph, that orange drop/paper&oil > ceramic
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I am pretty sure, especially by the graph, that orange drop/paper&oil > ceramic

you wont hear a difference between any of those, but the subconscious mind is an amazing thing because if you do change the caps to something pricey you'll think it sounds better because you want it to. kinda like that penn and teller episode where they were feeding people in a gourmet restaurant extremely cheap food but presented all fancy-like.
dont waste your money on those caps. ceramic and poly film will work fine. the signal isn't going thru the cap, so you aren't going to hear any difference.

However, using those fancy mojo caps in an amp or pedal will definitely make a difference. but not in a guitars tone control.
Quote by Invader Jim
dont waste your money on those caps. ceramic and poly film will work fine. the signal isn't going thru the cap, so you aren't going to hear any difference.

However, using those fancy mojo caps in an amp or pedal will definitely make a difference. but not in a guitars tone control.

+1

IN a passive circuit like a guitar, there is really no difference. The size of the capacitor will matter much more.
Quote by forsaknazrael
IN a passive circuit like a guitar, there is really no difference.
Would active pickups maybe get more of an impact by using audiophile quality components? Maybe thats just stupid...
Different types of capacitors are more efficient than others at shunting high frequencies to ground. Just because the signal doesn't pass through it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect on tone (see: rectifiers).

There's no difference if you use the tone at 10 and have modern wiring like most people, but some extra care in wiring and part choice might mean that you have the option of turning down to 8 or 4 or 2 if you want to, instead of the whole thing turning into a muddy mess anywhere except 9 and 10. Different caps are not going to magically do this on their own, but in my experience they are part of the solution if you find that your tone controls are useless.
The tone mojo from rectifiers comes mostly from voltage drop in my experience. I'm still a firm believer that mojo caps are useless as tone caps. Treble bleed caps maybe, but def not tone caps. I've used all kinds of crap for guitar caps and have found no difference whatsoever.
There are small differences in cap types but they are very small. Ceramic and orange drop caps sound pretty much the same and are a bit more "jagged" or "harsh" sounding. I like them in strats. Mustard, Dijon, bumble bee, and oil caps sound smoother and more mellow. In humbucker guitars I like to use the Mojotone Dijon caps because they are quite cheap and sound the same as expensive caps like the bumble bee. In something like an amp or a pedal the type of cap has a much more significant impact. It's much better to spend your dosh on high quality pots than it is to spend it on expensive capacitors.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's much better to spend your dosh on high quality pots than it is to spend it on expensive capacitors.
How do you tell a quality pot from a cheapo?
Speaking of pots, what's usually the most reliable company to get them from? I've heard Alpha, Bourns, and CTS, but then I've heard that CTS suck?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^generally speaking, full size pots are better than mini pots and some brands are better than others. I used to swear by CTS pots but have recently had lots defective ones from them. In fact, my last order of 500 pots only gave me 100 with good readings and taper. If you are on a budget I'd go with alpha pots and if you have a bit more to spend it's worth it to go with bourns pots.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Shinozoku
Speaking of pots, what's usually the most reliable company to get them from? I've heard Alpha, Bourns, and CTS, but then I've heard that CTS suck?
Burns are the spendier ones on Allparts.com. But that doesn't always mean quality (looks at Marshall). But hey, their soldering connections are little loops, and the entire thing is boxed in, so maybe they are pretty decent?

Their website pretty much has me sold on their product, however... Bastards.

Edit: It say's they have "continuous mechanical rotation". So they dont stop anywhere? Thats cool? Probably results in longer life.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
But hey, their soldering connections are little loops, and the entire thing is boxed in, so maybe they are pretty decent?

That's how almost all pots (i.e. aren't PC mount) are made.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Edit: It say's they have "continuous mechanical rotation". So they dont stop anywhere? Thats cool? Probably results in longer life.

Does nothing to extend life. In fact, im not sure what that means, unless it means they have a 360° rotation, which is probably impossible.
Quote by Invader Jim
Does nothing to extend life. In fact, im not sure what that means, unless it means they have a 360° rotation, which is probably impossible.

You can get multi-turn pots that rotate 3600 degrees or more.

I think the "continous" thing means there are no "graduations" like you get on some hifi volume controls...

FWIW I like Jensen foil in oil caps and Bourns conductive plastic pots for guitar purposes.. But I've had good results from ripping apart old hifis and TVs and using those parts too.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
You can get multi-turn pots that rotate 3600 degrees or more.

Yes, but they actually only turn about 270 degrees. The shaft may turn 3600 or more, but not the actual wiper. A multi-turn pot is just a normal pot whose shaft turns 3 large bearings which rotate against the case of the pot and very gradually turn the wiper section. I've taken apart a 10-turn pot before. it's kind of a trip, but that's the only thing special about them. without the bearings, they're just normal pots.